Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 05:52   #31

Re: Yanmar occasionally won't start, then does.

I had this problem. Turns out the connection to the transmission neutral interlock was corroded. I'd clean it up and then have to do it again a few months later. Finally just eliminated the connection. No problems since. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:14   #32

Boat: Lots of boats.

I'm confused by the use of an extra relay. Isn't that the job of the solenoid on the side of the starter? Would seem that larger sized wires and attention to clean connections would do the same thing. Is the relay at the starter inadequate or perhaps need replaced? I'm not anything close to an electronics guy. Just looking for an explanation for why this works and what deficiency is it addressing to help me understand.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:44   #33

Boat: Privilege 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
I'm confused by the use of an extra relay. Isn't that the job of the solenoid on the side of the starter? Would seem that larger sized wires and attention to clean connections would do the same thing. Is the relay at the starter inadequate or perhaps need replaced? I'm not anything close to an electronics guy. Just looking for an explanation for why this works and what deficiency is it addressing to help me understand.
My understanding is that the solenoid, although it acts as a relay, still requires enough umph that the silly little wires from the Yanmar panel often don't cut it. While larger wires would undoubtedly do the trick, on my set-up not only is the run to the engine long enough that fitting a relay is cheaper and easier but also, on the back of my Yanmar panel, the wires come out of a sealed mother-board type thing so getting to the wire at the back of the starter is not possible.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:49   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
My understanding is that the solenoid, although it acts as a relay, still requires enough umph that the silly little wires from the Yanmar panel often don't cut it. While larger wires would undoubtedly do the trick, on my set-up not only is the run to the engine long enough that fitting a relay is cheaper and easier but also, on the back of my Yanmar panel, the wires come out of a sealed mother-board type thing so getting to the wire at the back of the starter is not possible.

That is it to some extent, the other part is add years to non tinned wires which will raise resistance and what was marginal but worked when the boat was new, doesn't work decades later.
If you ever had a VW Bus, you got used to the dim glow of the generator light, the generator was working, just the long wire when it got old didn't pass enough juice to keep the light from barely illuminating.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:07   #35

Boat: Lots of boats.

Thanks! My Yanmar manual says nothing about it, but my panel was, repositioned closer to the wheel so is even farther away than when the boat was new. A good reason to add an extra relay to the springtime rewiring list. Reliable starting is certainly a high priority for me!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 13:01   #36

The only thing a relay does is allow you to draw the solenoid current from the very heavy cable that goes to the starter motor.
But this is completely unnecessary and might even be counterproductive. It is usually not the wire from the ignition that fails, it's one or more of the several connections in that wire. By adding a wire from the ignition to switch a heavy wire from the starter motor, you have made 6 connections and all of them are as likely to corrode as the original. Furthermore the relay itself is a mechanical device and will eventually fail.
If you think about it, the original wire did the job for many years and then a connection corroded so much that it failed. I accept that the original wire might be thin so if you put a larger wire directly from the ignition to the solenoid, you will have many yeas of happy starting,

I don't deny that those who put in a relay might have had happy years of starting but so have the people who did not get a corroded joint originally. Remember the KISS principle.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:38   #37

Boat: Corbin 39

I had an intermittent starting problem on a volvo for about a year. I was at Mackinaw island 50 miles from home and I had to hire a van to come pick up nine passengers and take them home when the engine wouldn't start. I came back the next morning turned the key and it started right up. Had a volvo tech try and find the answer to no avail. Then last spring when doing Initial start up with the hatch open someone caught a glimpse of a spark on the positive battery cable connection on the starter. It appeared that from the initial install the nut had never ben tightened down and the connection was just bouncing around arcing itself on and off the stud causing random failures to start.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 08:29   #38

Boat: Privilege 435

As an update to this thread, after installing a relay on my port engine it has started without issue reliably ever since. This weekend my starboard 4JH failed to start. It only has 350hrs from new. I traced the current from the switch down to the area of the starter and found the fault with a Yanmar-installed relay just below the starter motor. The relay is not shown in the service manual. A $10 replacement relay from an auto store has fixed it. I wired it the same as my photo in post #12. It appears that IT IS appropriate to have a relay before the starter to supply the current that the silly Yanmar panel wires cannot. Hopefully this info saves someone time (and money) when diagnosing a similar problem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0987.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	194849
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 08:53   #39

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
If you think about it, the original wire did the job for many years and then a connection corroded so much that it failed. I accept that the original wire might be thin so if you put a larger wire directly from the ignition to the solenoid, you will have many yeas of happy starting,
Exactly. I've done this twice on two different boats. Neither has failed after many years.
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 09:57   #40
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
As an update to this thread, after installing a relay on my port engine it has started without issue reliably ever since. This weekend my starboard 4JH failed to start. It only has 350hrs from new. I traced the current from the switch down to the area of the starter and found the fault with a Yanmar-installed relay just below the starter motor. The relay is not shown in the service manual. A $10 replacement relay from an auto store has fixed it. I wired it the same as my photo in post #12. It appears that IT IS appropriate to have a relay before the starter to supply the current that the silly Yanmar panel wires cannot. Hopefully this info saves someone time (and money) when diagnosing a similar problem.

Attachment 194849
told you that in post 28

I didn't even take that yanmar relay off, just left it there

glad you git it fixed
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 10:05   #41

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hopefully this info saves someone time (and money) when diagnosing a similar problem.

Glad you got it fixed. Almost all the Hunter engine questions on different boating forums point to these relays, too. In fact, some/most/all never had them until the new owners put them in.

This one of dozens of hits on "Yanmar relay" on sbo.com

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...yanmar%20relay

Just for future folks who search and find this thread.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 14:49   #42
Musician & 50T Master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vicem 58 (ex-Tartan 41)

Thanks for the follow up
Old 02-06-2020, 16:45   #43

Quote:

Attachment 194849
I have the exact same issue in that that small relay under the starter solednoid is corroded. I'm ready to bypass the faulty relay and went to the hardware store, but not sure what to get. They have an RL44, RL45, and a bunch of ELB Relays for LED/Flashers. The RL44 and RL45 have the 85, 86, 87, 87a on them, the ELB just have posts marked ELB. How do I know which to go with for the three wires we have on the Yanmar relay (Ground, Postitive from key Switch, power to solenoid)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized-20200602-175901.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	216491  
captNordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 21:25   #44
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captNordy View Post
I have the exact same issue in that that small relay under the starter solednoid is corroded. I'm ready to bypass the faulty relay and went to the hardware store, but not sure what to get. They have an RL44, RL45, and a bunch of ELB Relays for LED/Flashers. The RL44 and RL45 have the 85, 86, 87, 87a on them, the ELB just have posts marked ELB. How do I know which to go with for the three wires we have on the Yanmar relay (Ground, Postitive from key Switch, power to solenoid)?
The Yanmar start relays that I have seen have four wires (ground/+ve from key switch/power from battery (usually large lug on the starter solenoid)/power to solenoid (small terminal)
If you wish to use the relay pictured in your hand, connect it as follows.

Pin 85 to ground.
Pin 86 to positive from key switch.
Pin 30 to battery positive (usually the big lug on the stater solenoid).
pin 87 to the solenoid operate (small terminal).
Pin 87a unused.

The relay coil will operate when positive is applied to pin 86 via the key switch. The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground via pin 85.

The relay contacts (pin 30 and pin 87) close and applies positive the solenoid coil via the small terminal on the solenoid. This causes the solenoid to operate and supply starting current to the starter motor.

Releasing the key switch after starting causes the relay to relax which causes the solenoid to disengage.

If your existing start relay only has three wires, tell us what model Yanmar engine you have and I will check the circuit diagram for that model!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 23:18   #45

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
The Yanmar start relays that I have seen have four wires (ground/+ve from key switch/power from battery (usually large lug on the starter solenoid)/power to solenoid (small terminal)
If you wish to use the relay pictured in your hand, connect it as follows.

Pin 85 to ground.
Pin 86 to positive from key switch.
Pin 30 to battery positive (usually the big lug on the stater solenoid).
pin 87 to the solenoid operate (small terminal).
Pin 87a unused.

The relay coil will operate when positive is applied to pin 86 via the key switch. The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground via pin 85.

The relay contacts (pin 30 and pin 87) close and applies positive the solenoid coil via the small terminal on the solenoid. This causes the solenoid to operate and supply starting current to the starter motor.

Releasing the key switch after starting causes the relay to relax which causes the solenoid to disengage.

If your existing start relay only has three wires, tell us what model Yanmar engine you have and I will check the circuit diagram for that model!

I would guess (yes a GUESS ) that in the case of a three wire relay the metal case acts as the neutral as it is bolted to the engine.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar