Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 17:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Yanmar Lift Pump

I,have a Yanmar 4JH3E,I,am concerned after reading threads about lift pump's failing.Should they be changed after so many hour's is there a normal life ecpectancy.
Thanks for your input
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 19:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Yanmar Lift Pump

I wouldn't preemptively change one. If you cruise far from home you may want to carry an overhaul kit or a spare.

The difference in a new pump vs. overhaul kit for mine was $40 - I bit the bullet and bought new - I suspect mine is failed.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 08:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I wouldn't preemptively change one. If you cruise far from home you may want to carry an overhaul kit or a spare.

The difference in a new pump vs. overhaul kit for mine was $40 - I bit the bullet and bought new - I suspect mine is failed.
Other than no fuel supply,are the sympton's?
Thanks
Old 16-08-2012, 20:22   #4

Boat: Westerly Centaur

My experience of fuel lift pumps. not my Yanmar 3 GM 30 thankfully, is that they fail intermittently. A good test is to check the flow from the positive side. This should be a good steady stream when the engine is cranked. Just make sure not to overdo it with a water lock exhaust system.
Spares are always a good idea, just make sure they are the right ones.
I generally fit new spares, covers warrentry issues, and keep the originals for emergencies.
Centaur
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 11:48   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

I have a 4JH4E and have had problems with the lift pumps. I replaced the lift pump and still had problems. I installed an electric pump after the Racors and have had no problems with that. The problem is that now I need electricity for the engine to run.

IMHO it is better to install an electric pump and know how to replumb the fuel lines to avoid the lift pump then to have a spare lift pump.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 15:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I have a 4JH4E and have had problems with the lift pumps. I replaced the lift pump and still had problems. I installed an electric pump after the Racors and have had no problems with that. The problem is that now I need electricity for the engine to run.

IMHO it is better to install an electric pump and know how to replumb the fuel lines to avoid the lift pump then to have a spare lift pump.
That is my idea,What do you do with the lines and lift pump?
Thanks casual
Old 21-08-2012, 13:50   #7

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie

I have done the same with my 4JH4TE, installed it as a backup pump but did not reroute lines, am I missing something?
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 14:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

My other concern is the diaphram going bad and diesel fuel entering the enging oil.Have seen this happen while ump was still pumping fuel to the engin.When taking lift pump out of line is there a plate that can be inserted and lift pump removed?This leaves only the electric pump for fuel sorce.
Old 21-08-2012, 14:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual
My other concern is the diaphram going bad and diesel fuel entering the enging oil.Have seen this happen while ump was still pumping fuel to the engin.When taking lift pump out of line is there a plate that can be inserted and lift pump removed?This leaves only the electric pump for fuel sorce.
Good point
Old 21-08-2012, 15:38   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 38
I have a 4JH2E and just had to replace my lift pump. The engine has 1200 hours on it.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 15:52   #11

Sooooo, I have this to look forward to, mine has 450 hours. I have been warned on diaphram pumps. I have always had electric lift pumps, I.e. my westerbeke, and always carry an extra. What the issue is is fuel in the crankcase, very dangerous!
Old 21-08-2012, 15:59   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
That is my idea,What do you do with the lines and lift pump?
Thanks casual
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. All I did was 1) disconnect the input line from the fuel tank to the lift pump. 2) Ran the disconnected line to the on engine fuel filter input, and 3) Then I took the output line from the lift pump (that connected to the on engine fuel filter) and circled it back to the input line. I had to get a longer piece of fuel line in order to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
I am not positive about this but I think that if the plumbing is rerouted that there is no fuel oil in the diaphram. It is possible that the fuel oil would leak from the seals of the pump though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agape39 View Post
I have done the same with my 4JH4TE, installed it as a backup pump but did not reroute lines, am I missing something?
No if my engine were not creating oil I would not have rerouted the lines. It is a good idea to be able to reroute them easily IMHO (meaning getting an extra long bit of fuel line to connect the lift pump to the on engine fuel filter) because if the diaphram starts leaking you can then reroute the fuel lines quickly and stop or decrease the amount of fuel oil contamination into the lubricating oil.

I am still working on why my lubricating oil is being contaminated. I have two theories 1) Injectors are leaking raw fuel past the rings or 2) the seals on the fuel injection pump are letting oil or 3) There is a way for fuel oil to enter the lubricating oil system thru the diaphram pump even if there is no fuel going thr the lift pump. So now I try to sail and change the oil more often.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 16:09   #13

Great info Charlie, thank you. I am going to look into it so I am prepared.......as they say, if it's gunna break you know where and when it's going to happen!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:11   #14

If you want to rebuild your lift pump, Google Ocean Navigator magazine July 2011 and look for the article that I wrote on rebuilding my 4JH2E lift pump. I routinely rebuild mine at around 2200 hour intervals (so far, twice in the 15 years that we have lived aboard). Good luck, SailorHarry
SailorHarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, yanmar