Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2022, 16:53   #1

yanmar / kansaki woes

Hello All, A wee update on my propulsion woes. After posting here it became obvious what I was up against, a slipping drive cone system in my Kansaki trans. Solution of course after hours of reading here and elsewhere was to pull it and remedy . My system is direct drive with little if any wiggle room to get a transmission free. It did not help at all that Yanmar has engineered a transmission with a fairly large bell housing that acts as the aperture into the transmission! Most unusual in my mechanical experience making it even more difficult to remove. Managed to shoehorn it out , had to lift the engine off its mounts to gain the inch needed, after a good shove with a 2x4 pry up through the lazzarette hatch she came. When I replaced it went back in two parts, assembled the bell housing below, much easier but really?
I was guided by an old posting here very helpfull but have to call bulls..it on his process when he states he simply pulled the tranny a second time to adjust linkage. Maybe he was on a scow, who knows. It took me thirteen hours to pull that trans!!!! Two bottom bolts absolute murder to get at.
Okay any of us who have monkey wrenched on our boats knows this going in.
Thanks for this great forum couldnt have done without you.
Time to go sailing. Russ

This is a fantastic forum, thanks for all the info and support
razzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 17:04   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: yanmar / kansaki woes

Some people do magic with their disassemblies and assembly. Just last week I spent five hours on a head joker valve Changeout that someone here said they could do in 45 mins. Granted that was my first and it involved right access and no room for error.

So I learned a thing or two before I started (from here) and now know what to expect next time.
Old 08-09-2022, 17:34   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

What did you find was wrong and what did you do about it?
Old 08-09-2022, 18:23   #4

You must have the worst machinery space ever if it took 13 hrs to remove that little gearbox. Usually the flywheel housing bolts are removed using a socket wrench on a long bar reaching aft of the output coupling... the bottom 2 are occasionally extracted using a half moon ring spanner if the engine sits very low.
I actually agree with removing the gearbox again to adjust the shift mechanism if I forgot to do it on the bench ( that would be at my expense not the customers) because if the access to the shift housing is cramped it’s annoyingly difficult to move it to the correct spot on the 4 mounting bolts and adjust the angular movement as per the repair manual instructions.
I’m also interested to hear more about the repair procedure and the condition of the cone.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 18:36   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Luck, boat design, and experience. You could probably remove the tranny now in three hours.

I spent three hours upside down replacing a $70 fuel sender.

I was mortified when my buddy showed me his Beneteau which has absolutely no access to one side of the engine.

Most of it though is experience. Ten hours becomes one hour with repetition.
Old 08-09-2022, 18:41   #6

Ok , I just read that you have a Cheoy Lee 30 and, having recently repowered one I understand how tight the access is to the gearbox crouched under the cockpit. If the front of the engine space wasn’t so boxed in I might have suggested pulling the engine into the saloon and doing the job there. Did you have to pull out the engine after the sinking?
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar