Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38   #91

Re: Yanmar Issues Still

It sure sounds like you're making progress. Good news!

I noticed you're in the "SF Area." If, for any reason, you end up deciding to need a mechanic, here's a good one (long story, mostly DIY work by a friend of mine on an engine that si NOT yours) but it's a good story anyway.

Rebuilding the M25-XP - C34

Good luck, and keep starting it. The more you do, the more comfortable you'll get! Really did, after all this reading, sound like a fuel issue.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:58   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
It's working so stop tinkering.

I can't tell you the number of times I have fixed a problem but decided to just "clean up" a few other things. Before I knew it, I'd broken something else, lost a part overboard, or whatever.

The Perfect is the Enemy of The Good

Or another version I like:

Better is the enemy of Good Enough.
Oh Agreed, Good enough is all I aim for anyway...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16   #93

Sailorchic

I think you mentioned you were getting a gradual increase in crankcase oil level over time?
ON EDIT: I checked back and found that I'd misread: you were losing oil, presumably by the bypass from the rocker box to the intake, so disregard the following:

I'm sure you've considered that you might be seeing the symptoms of more than one problem at a time, but I'm just dropping this into the mix for the benefit of anyone who might stumble across this, who assumes that when they have an evident engine problem, the symptoms will all be related to that problem.

For example, engines like this with a direct-mounted fuel pump can develop a small hole in the diaphragm which will allow a small quantity of diesel to leak directly into the crankcase, sometimes just the right amount to cancel the decline in oil level, but sometimes more than enough.

This is definitely Not A Good Thing. (diesel oil is NOT a lubricant, at least, not for bottom ends and bores...)

Worth thinking about anytime a rebuild is undertaken, for one thing ...
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34   #94

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post

(diesel oil is NOT a lubricant, at least, not for bottom ends and bores...)

Worth thinking about anytime a rebuild is undertaken, for one thing ...
Did you mean to say Diesel fuel?

Also Sailorchic were you using synthetic before? Just curious?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:00   #95

Semantic point: I understand what you're getting at, and people do talk loosely about lubricating oil for diesel service as 'diesel oil' which is unfortunate.

... but diesel fuel is technically a light, refined grade of fuel oil, and I termed it as 'oil' in my post because it does have a certain amount of lubricity: enough, for instance, for an injection pump, but (my point): not enough for an engine.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 19:34   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No synthetic ever. Been using Shell Rotella 15-40. But have Rotella T1 30 weight, to add next. My guess is my bores may be a little glazed, with blowby that pumps oil to the intake.

Its starting much better now and runs very well other then the oil loss issue.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:00   #97

Boat: 27 Catalina

Sounds like you are moving in a positive direction. Fuel leaks will create long crank times for sure. Have you tried adding some Automatic Trans Fluid [ATF] to the fuel.The diesel fuel DNA has been altered over the past several years. They removed the sulfur if my memory is correct and what ever else they did to clean it up. The results on my end was the rubber in or on fuel lines would balloon/swell/rot or leak. Adding some ATF help lube the working parts of the system. You cannot got wrong with this if you have never done it. Add a Qrt to 20 gallons. It might even help the Cyl. walls. Im sure there is a good marine industry product for diesel additive but I would guess it cost way more than the ATF also Redline makes a diesel additive that I have used for years in cars and it is good stuff or would not bring it up. Hers a link. As I said these are great products. You might find using some will improve things. 20 bucks on a bottle of juice is way cheaper than a rebuild. It will also protect various components of your fuel system. Red Line Synthetic Oil - Diesel Fuel Additives

I would think you can find this stuff on the shelf in your area with a little research and a few phone calls. The Catalyst and the 85 will boost the cetane which results in a a little hotter burn [Improve start ups]
gasngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:38   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

At the moment I've added a little 2 cycle oil to the fuel. Figure the 2 cycle oil will help like the atf and its not too spendy.

I'm thinking the ultra low sulfur diesel does not do the older diesels any favors. Will try a few others chemicals too. Thinking of seafoam in the oil and fuel. Have heard of it fixing glazing in a few diesels.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:48   #99

Boat: Privilege 37

I add Fuel Set as an additive to my diesel. It does what it says on the tin.

I had a bad bug contamination - so bad that everything was clogged up with the jelly and the fuel looked black with lots of lumps. I gave it a heavy dose of Fuel Set and it cleared it completely, Beautiful transparent fuel and a system that worked. It also cleaned all the fuel lines and the injectors. Much cleaner burn and smoother running.

I dont go anywhere now without it!

Tags
yanmar