Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2015, 06:28   #31
cruiser

Re: Yanmar Impeller Help!

I saw those available on Amazon.com last night.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 06:51   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you think removing the impeller is bad try the fuel injection pump on a 2006 72hp fuel injection model.

That has one bolt I just can't not figure out how to get a wrench on. Fortunately I was able to spin it with a hammer and chisel. Closed it the same way. Woooonderful!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 06:54   #33

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Who ever installed that impeller did not get all the vanes going in the right direction. Must be a pretty hard job to get right in a tight space like that.
Why is there both an O ring and sillycone on the cover plate? Maybe time for a new O ring too?
Personally I would rip and tear at this point. There is nothing to loose. Like the mate said, fewer vanes the better.
I've never understood the worry about installing vanes the right way. Don Casey's article states what I've always believed would happen if the vanes are not right to begin with.

BoatUS – BoatTech – Replacing a Cooling Pump Impeller by Don Casey
It doesn't really matter which way you bend the vanes; they will arrange themselves on the first revolution of the pump.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:00   #34

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
I've never understood the worry about installing vanes the right way. Don Casey's article states what I've always believed would happen if the vanes are not right to begin with.

BoatUS – BoatTech – Replacing a Cooling Pump Impeller by Don Casey
It doesn't really matter which way you bend the vanes; they will arrange themselves on the first revolution of the pump.
Well Casey is wrong. There is no way they can re-arrange themselves on most pumps. Take a look at the pump in the picture..
Our temp is too high with even just 1 vane bent backwards in a Sherwood pump on a 4-107.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:04   #35

Boat: Able 50

I'm afraid Casey is right.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:08   #36

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I saw those available on Amazon.com last night.
When you are installing, compress the splines with a large hose clamp to make things a little easier. It will be a tight fit. A spray of CRC or WD40 on the center of the impeller and inside of the pump will also help.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 08:22   #37

Boat: Defever 38 trawler

This also might be worth a try. Cut plastic from a milk jug or similar. Form into a cone, add hose clamp.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1437319348.939318.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	105607
bajatrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 16:06   #38
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Well Casey is wrong. There is no way they can re-arrange themselves on most pumps. Take a look at the pump in the picture..
Our temp is too high with even just 1 vane bent backwards in a Sherwood pump on a 4-107.
Suggest you take another look a look at the picture. There is only one vane facing the wrong way. The one at the 10 o'clock position. This pump rotates CCW looking from the position of the photographer. When the suspect vanes reaches the 9 o'clock position, it is able to fully extend and when it reaches 8 or 7 o'clock, it will be forced into the proper postion; unless of course, if the impeller is so old that it has lost its flexibility. New or serviceable impellers will orientate themselves just fine on these Johonson pumps.

In fact, these Johonson pumps are designed to rotate either way, all you need to do is swap the hoses around. Johonson even puts a notation on the cover to help one work it out!

Of course, your Sherwood pump may be quite different. I'm not familiar with them.

FWIW, clycerine is the best choice for lubricant on the common "rubber" impeller water pumps; especially if one is storing it away as a spare.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 17:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Suggest you take another look a look at the picture. There is only one vane facing the wrong way. The one at the 10 o'clock position. This pump rotates CCW looking from the position of the photographer. When the suspect vanes reaches the 9 o'clock position, it is able to fully extend and when it reaches 8 or 7 o'clock, it will be forced into the proper postion; unless of course, if the impeller is so old that it has lost its flexibility. New or serviceable impellers will orientate themselves just fine on these Johonson pumps.

In fact, these Johonson pumps are designed to rotate either way, all you need to do is swap the hoses around. Johonson even puts a notation on the cover to help one work it out!

Of course, your Sherwood pump may be quite different. I'm not familiar with them
So I did take another look. I see at least 2 vanes going the wrong way. I also see that clearances in this pump is so sloppy that the vanes could go any old way. What a piece of junk. The clearance in a Sherwood pump are such that just about only the bulb on the end of the vane can fit past the cam. You could never fold a vane over and get past the ramp. If a vane is installed backwards, it will stay that way forever.
Guess this is an example of the more modern engineering of a Yanmar.
Old 19-07-2015, 19:21   #40

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

When the engine stops it rocks back a bit and will reverse one or two vanes....I've changed a lot of impellers on Sherwood, Johnson, oberdorfer, etc and have never seen one that a vane couldn't flop in. In fact if there is no room for the vane to stand up then there is no pumping action taking place.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 20:57   #41

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Deja vu all over again.

Had a nearly identical situation. Westerbeke generator and Yanmar main engine. Replaced the genny impellor (15 minutes?) and then struggled over an hour with the Yanmar. Tracked down a mechanic who was working in the yard. He smiled at my dilemma, got a puller out of his truck, and removed the impellor in a couple minutes.

This is the tool:
I carry one of these also. Seldom needed but when it is it works. Used it on other boats more often than mine. A light smear of waterproof grease on the shaft before installing the new impeller works wonders.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 21:21   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
When the engine stops it rocks back a bit and will reverse one or two vanes....I've changed a lot of impellers on Sherwood, Johnson, oberdorfer, etc and have never seen one that a vane couldn't flop in. In fact if there is no room for the vane to stand up then there is no pumping action taking place.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
With a old worn out cam that might happen but with a new cam it can't happen. When was the last time you changed one of those?
Old 19-07-2015, 23:29   #43
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
So I did take another look. I see at least 2 vanes going the wrong way. I also see that clearances in this pump is so sloppy that the vanes could go any old way. What a piece of junk. The clearance in a Sherwood pump are such that just about only the bulb on the end of the vane can fit past the cam. You could never fold a vane over and get past the ramp. If a vane is installed backwards, it will stay that way forever.
Guess this is an example of the more modern engineering of a Yanmar.
I guess you have sharper eyes than me.

For the record, the pump shown in the OP second post is a Johnson pump. One tell tale is the "IN" notation on the pump cover.

I wouldn't describe Johnson pumps as junk but maybe others have a different view.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 02:55   #44
cruiser

Cycled into town this morning, couldn't locate the tool but purchased an 18mm bolt and washer. Spent over an hour trying to yank the impeller out using the bolt, but could not get any leverage on it. So we raised the white flag of surrender and are heading into the shipyard so that the mechanic with the special extractor tool can perform his magic. It's impossible without either destroying the part or using the tool on this motor.

I've ordered the tool so this won't happen again. It would be so easy with the Yanmar tool, I would have been on my way yesterday.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 03:42   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The impeller tool is probably the same for the 54hp, 75hp and 110hp as these are basically the same engine. Yanmar engines are popular. Most larger Jeanneaus for example seem to have one of these fitted.

Is there a boat you could borrow the tool from? They are included with the engine so most boats with this engine will have one on board.

Keep in mind the tool only works for genuine Yanmar impellers. The Johnson impellers that are otherwise the same part do not have the thread.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar