Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 07:53   #1

Boat: ODAY 28
Yanmar Impeller Change

what were they thinking,
I just helped a friend replace the water impeller on a IP 35, which has a yanmar 3jh2e, ended up having to pull the starter to pull the impeller,
seemed like the impeller was seized on shaft, job took me about 2 hours...
the impeller I removed seemed in good shape, was told was not replace for three years..
the manual they had did not give removal and installation of the impeller,
only stated replace yearly...
is there a beter way to replace the impeller.....
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 09:23   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Not that it helps this situation but you might send IP a polite note explaining that engines require service and other manufacturers have figured out how to not impede that with this engine design. They might even respond with some helpful hints.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 09:29   #3

Boat: islandpacket
check out the IPYOA site or the factory site. Lots of good info and great people with the same boat.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:08   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The Problem is you are not using a genuine yanmar impeller puller and genuine yanmar impellers. Yanmar actually has a very short impeller puller that does not require the removal of the starter, but it only works with genuine yanmar impellers. The yanmar impellers have a threaded insert that the puller screws into and a jack screw that pushes on the pump shaft to pull out the impeller. Of course the genuine yanmar impellers cost twice as much as the after market impellers. After market impellers do not have the required threads to use this tool.

Some people use large needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend to grab the impeller and pull it out, but that depends on the installation and having a fulcrum to get some leverage against.

In my installation pulling the starter is fairly easy so it doesn't make a lot of difference to me.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 11:01   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
ended up having to pull the starter to pull the impeller,

Some of the yanmars have the impellor facing backwards - mine does - and its a right pain to change it.
It takes a Yanmar guy to do it and takes them 30 mins.
As they charge by the hour I get them to do the impellor and give the engine a good cuddle and caress.

The book says change at 1,000 hours if I remember correctly. (For the 4JH3E)

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 13:56   #6

Thanks, for the info,
I will look in to the Yanmar impeller puller, if if saves pulling the starter it would be worth the money.
There engine manual suggested replace every year, when I got it out it was still in good shape, except for damage I did on removal...1000 hours might be close to the life..
Old 19-02-2011, 14:16   #7

Boat: looking for catamaran after monohull was sold recently.
Boeing 1

I feel your pain. I just sold my IP 37 and had the same issue. The older yanmars have the waterpump backwards. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the engineers/designers would have to work as a technician for a year to see their work in the real world?
I didn't know about the original impelled and the special tool. No hint either from Yanmar or from Island Packet. I think either one company should have taken it on to provide such infovto their clients.
Have you tried to repack the stuffing yet? Another: what were they thinking moment. But don't get me wrong. IP are great boats and if I wouldn't switch to a cat this spring I would never have sold my IP 37. I assume, all boats have issues created by insensitive engineers.
One thing I added for the waterpump was the speedseal cover that made life easier.

Enjoy the great boat.
Volkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 14:33   #8

it's easier to pull the pump off :shrug:
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 14:40   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
It takes a Yanmar guy to do it and takes them 30 mins.
As they charge by the hour I get them to do the impellor and give the engine a good cuddle and caress.
Same here. On the odd years I service the engine, on the even years a Yanmar mechanic does it. The impeller gets changed every even year.

You need to carry a right-angle pair of needle-nose pliers regardless, in case you have to make an emergency change.
Old 20-02-2011, 07:43   #10

after replacing the impeller for the first time, I think the next change will not be as bad, Now I know what I am in for,
the bigest problem was removing the impeller, seemed that it was seized to the shaft, angle needle nose did not help had to pry impeller every 90 degree,s to get off. They had a puller, but was too big to use.
I did clean and lub. the shaft when installing the new impeller.
Old 20-02-2011, 07:57   #11

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Sounds like the problem is with Yanmar, not with Island Packet. I have a 1990 Island Packet 35 with a Yanmar 3YM30. My water pump is on the lower left front of the engine, and can be readily accessed by removing the compainionway steps. No removal of any other parts are required. In fact, engine access on the IP35 is about as good as I have ever seen anywhere. I have great access to three sides of the engine plus the top. Here are a couple of photos from my most recent impeller change:

Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 08:00   #12

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Just curious--but what did this particular model start life as, before being marinized.
Probably easy to change the impellor while standing alongside a tractor.
Old 20-02-2011, 09:02   #13

Yes, looks like good access,
how many hours on that impeller,
Old 20-02-2011, 09:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Just curious--but what did this particular model start life as, before being marinized.
Probably easy to change the impellor while standing alongside a tractor.
All Yanmar engines are multipurpose. The JH series is used in equipment, generators, pump and many other things.
I've yet to see a tractor with a water pump">raw water pump. The "port" the pump is mounted to in marine configuration is an accessory gear drive. This location is also used to drive PTO hydraulic pumps, and power steering pumps.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 09:19   #15

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
boing1, that impeller had maybe 500 hours on it, but had been in use for over a year.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar