Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2009, 10:40   #1

Yanmar Heat Exchanger

I have removed both ends on the heat exchanger of my 2GM20F Yanmar diesel and now want to remove the core (or coil) for cleaning. I tried pushing and then gently tapping it but it didn't move. Any suggestions?
rvennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 11:13   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Your engine's service manual has a step-by-step process with diagrams which I assume you have and followed. It should slide out without too much persuasion.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 12:26   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
The heat exchanger has a tendancy to stick after it's been in awhile. Just keep gently tapping it. You can't whail on them but they can take a firm rapping. Try the wood handle end of a hammer. Putting them back together check for the pin on the end of the caps to make sure they properly line up with heat exchanger and of course use new gaskets. Easy job on a Yanmar 2GM20F.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2009, 18:09   #4

Boat: Privilege 39
Did you remove the O rings? Also if I remember correctly (could be wrong here) it will only slide out toward the front (pulley side) of the engine.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 20:15   #5

Thanks for the help - tapped it a few times and out it came. Some additional thoughts: it will come out either way although the back end requires removal of the elbow. Suggest marketing the core so you can put it back in the same way with the holes on the surface of the core properly aligned. Two o rings and 2 rubber caskets cost about $52 Canadian.
rvennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:44   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
It's probably a good idea to remove the exhaust elbow as well anyway. It makes it easier to get the core out by pushing it out instead of trying to pull it out. You can then inspect the elbow which should be done anyway and the gasket kit Yanmar sells for the heat exchanger comes with gaskets for both ends. Trying to put the core back in without both ends of the heat exchanger removed becomes a game of chance. The probability of the Y shaped gasket falling off inside the heat exchanger while pushing the core from one end only is highly probable. As well, the end cap has to be removed to properly replace a new O-ring which should be done as long as you're that far into the job.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 11:18   #7

Re: Yanmar Heat Exchanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvennis View Post
Thanks for the help - tapped it a few times and out it came. Some additional thoughts: it will come out either way although the back end requires removal of the elbow. Suggest marketing the core so you can put it back in the same way with the holes on the surface of the core properly aligned. Two o rings and 2 rubber caskets cost about $52 Canadian.
You would not happen to have a core out that you can measure and take a picture or 2, would you.

My rad guy boiled the aluminum shroud off of my core and is thinking he could put a new shroud on.

Better yet do you know of any 2gm20f cores available for sale?
damorsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:02   #8

Re: Yanmar Heat Exchanger

I flushed Rydlyme through both the sea water side and fresh water side after I couldn't tap the bundle out; the Rydlyme did the trick making the removal of the bundle very simple. The bundle must have been gunked up in place.

Thought others would want to know.
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 18:30   #9

Update: after flushing the heat exchanger, I decided to have it sonic cleaned. Paint makes it look great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1970412711.jpg
Views:	2766
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	82955  
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat exchanger, yanmar