Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:46   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Yanmar Gear Shift Problem

Hi,

I recently reinstalled My 2qm15 Yanmar engine during my boat restoration project. This model has the KBW10 gearbox and I'm having real problems shifting into Neutral after selecting Forward or Reverse. This problem is definitely with the shift lever which is located on the side of the gearbox and is operated by a Morse 33c cable.

The gearbox clicks into gear ok but is very, very stiff when trying to select neutral. When the shift lever is disconnected from the cable, the gears can be easily selected by hand but it's very tight trying to get back into Neutral. When the cable is connected to the shift lever it is even worse. it's really so stiff I am worried about breaking the handle on the Morse control lever.

My throttle/gear control is the Teleflex MV-2 Morse type which I fully serviced and rejuvenated before re-installing. I also replaced the original morse cables with brand new ones and there are no tight bends so I know the cables are not contributing to the problem.

Before I installed the engine I serviced the geabox by flushing it with kerosene and oil and have since filled it with the correct new oil as specified by Yanmar.

Does anyone know what I can do to solve this problem, please?

Bony.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar, gear