Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2020, 12:25   #1

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Yanmar fuel bleeding question

Yanmar engine 3TNE74C

I have a problem with my Yanmar powered diesel lawnmower, leak due to bad fuel hose to injection pump that I trimmed shorter and clamped. No more leak. Ran for 15 secs after, then sputtered out and does care to restart. I assume it is air in fuel system. Can’t find much online but I see a similar one for marine use so thought someone might chime in.

I have full fuel in filter, don’t see a bleed screw on the injection pump, cracked the pipes at the injectors, cranked it and got fuel at least out of most forward pipe. Would not start. Then the battery started getting low and the rain started so I called it quits.

Looked at manuals online and don’t see a bleeding process listed. Is this thing self-bleeding?

It ran right after cutting the bad end off the hose so I doubt a solenoid issue.

I know I need to get a well charged battery on it, but looking for advice before I head back out for the next try.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 13:49   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Re: Yanmar fuel bleeding question

the yanmar manual says you bleed to the high pressure fuel pump .. no need to crack fuel injectors.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:36   #3

I don't see a bleed screw on the pump itself.
Old 25-05-2020, 17:56   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
I don't see a bleed screw on the pump itself.
In that case, crack the joint where the low pressure fuel enters the injector pump and bleed it there first.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 17:58   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It is probably self bleeding, my boat 4JHE is and the JD 997 mower that I had that had a Yanmar 3 cyl diesel was also. It took awhile though to crank of you ran it dry on fuel though. I’d suggest jumping it from the truck, 10 sec crank 1 min off three times then 10 min cool down, but I don’t think it’s going to take all three attempts, heat build up is the starters enemy, that’s why three attempts with a min between attempts, then a 10 min rest.
Starting limitations for a turbine, except a 30 min rest, but attempts take longer and it’s a much bigger starter so it takes longer to cool.

Normal bleeding is done at a aftermarket filter with a bleeder screw, but my 997 didn’t have those provisions and didn’t have a lever on the manual LP pump either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2020, 19:06   #6

The bad hose was the low pressure feed to the injection pump. It runs uphill and almost no fuel spilled when disconnected so it did not drain forward, did not seem that there was back-drainage either. Don't think much air got in there, of course it doesn't take much.
I am now away from the property but will take a fresh battery up next weekend. No power on site, so no battery charger available.
Old 26-05-2020, 09:03   #7

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

All the Yanmar's I have bled have a 10mm bolt that I crack open and bleed through.
It looks like a bolt but is actually the bleed screw
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 10:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Ran my 2GM out of fuel. Had to bleed all the way to the injectors to get it to run. Yeah I know I was stupid. Only had to bleed from bolt by secondary filter all other times.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:23   #9

The primary bleeding point is on the very top of the engine fuel filter. This works for all air issues upstream of that location. Given that your issue was further downstream of that bleed point, you will need to crack open each injector in turn and bleed air from each one. There is a small metal tab on the fuel suction pump (NOT the high pressure fuel pump) for pumping the diesel. I wrap a blue paper shop towel around the injector to catch the fuel drips when bleeding. It also makes it very visible when the fuel is coming out. Work from closest injector to farthest downstream injector. Don't round off the injector nuts!!!, best to get a good 10mm flare nut wrench to do it as you get one extra corner vs. open end wrench. Total time less than 6 minutes.
rhirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:27   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Yanmar engine 3TNE74C

I have a problem with my Yanmar powered diesel lawnmower, leak due to bad fuel hose to injection pump that I trimmed shorter and clamped. No more leak. Ran for 15 secs after, then sputtered out and does care to restart. I assume it is air in fuel system. Can’t find much online but I see a similar one for marine use so thought someone might chime in.
I would say that the culprit is the trimmed hose. Did you use a compression olive to get a tight fit? Or maybe you jammed it too far into the injection pump and interfered with the valve inside the case at that point?
Old 29-05-2020, 13:07   #11

Fixed. Thanks for all the help.
After letting it rest for a week, tried cranking again. Nothing

Hooked up fresh battery. Nope

Looked more closely with better light and recognized there is a bleedscrew on the pump inlet. Had not seen it earlier due to poor lighting. Did not see a hole or notch in screw so I pulled it completely. That resulted in thorough bleeding due to the electric pump. Then pulled the return line from last injector and he tried to start. Put it back on, started up, a bit uneven then got its groove on. Now seems better than before, like the leak was cutting back on power.

This thing is great, it will cut a 6 foot swath thru knee high grass at 15 mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68B668EA-8206-419C-9764-55EAF31553A8.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	216138   Click image for larger version

Name:	400392E0-ED89-4C9D-BB37-73C067B844CA.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	216139  

Old 29-05-2020, 16:04   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Thanks for the update, glad it you got it sorted without any serious issue.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 17:05   #13

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Congrats. It's a good feeling when all is well.

Fyi. Just crack the bleedscrew next time. If you gave fuel to t hff e ho pump it almost always takes care if the route to the inkectors. Cracking is less mess.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, yanmar