Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2012, 16:24   #31

Re: Yanmar Filter Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Going from 30 to 10 microns primary is fine when your tank is clean and the fuel is clean, i.e. you sail in a 1st world country.

Racor recommends the 10 micron primary when you have a 2 micron final stage and a 30 micron primary when you have a 10 micron final stage.

I try to use a 10 micron filter for polishing fuel, but have to switch to 30 microns if I polish Caribbean fuel the first time. After that, I keep polishing it with 10 microns. With this 10-micron polished fuel, I change Racor 2-micron filter to genset every 1,000 hours. It is dirty at that point but still usable according to vacuum meter.

cheers,
Nick.
Nick,

I used to believe I could change my Racor filter based on the vacuum guage, but recently read a post from a 35 year filtration engineer saying that the Racor filters degrade over time and can actually tear. He says they need to be changed every 12 months. Your thoughts?
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 16:25   #32
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray

Uhh yes I did. So point out where Im wrong. I could be wrong but Im not some presumptuous decreed engineer but my numbers say it works. The force thing was whatever humor. The specs spell out minimum flow and max flow. Im sure as a engineer you can get that. Having dealt with numerous wrong engineers Im skeptical that your my way is gods way thinking works everytime. Given your doing pretty well for an engineer. I have been wrong so explain or dont. Dont tell me I didnt read something. You can say you missed this and then I will be like dougggh.
Sabray,

You take a post of mine that was adressed to rabend as seen in the quote and take it up as if it was adressed to you. Your situation is different as you took a filter for a 600 hp engine in some kind of brute force attempt at beating manufacturer recommendations.

Anyway, 2 microns for prefilter is madness. You can find the recommendations in this document: http://www.racor-filters.com/images/...bineSeries.pdf at page B63.

It says 30 microns is primary, 10 microns is secondary and 2 microns is final.

You must have missed it.

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 16:28   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend
Nick,

I used to believe I could change my Racor filter based on the vacuum guage, but recently read a post from a 35 year filtration engineer saying that the Racor filters degrade over time and can actually tear. He says they need to be changed every 12 months. Your thoughts?
He is right. Also, the element uses efficiency over time, as the smaller openings clog up first meaning all fuel has to pass through the bigger openings where more particles can pass.

Anyway, these elements are cheap enough to replace once a year.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 16:50   #34

Nick,

Thanks for your guidance on this topic!! The only thing I question in your posts is your claim that you are not an expert in this area

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 17:09   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post
Nick,

Thanks for your guidance on this topic!! The only thing I question in your posts is your claim that you are not an expert in this area

Bob
Thank you I really am not an expert on anything mechanical. I never touched a diesel before we went out cruising, but the past 9 years I picked up bits here and there. I was lucky to meet some very good mechanics and got them to answer my questions and look over my shoulder doing my first valve clearance checks etc.

ciao!
Nick.
Old 18-02-2012, 23:01   #36

Boat: PETERSON 44

[QUOTE=s/v Jedi;890658]Sabray,

You take a post of mine that was adressed to rabend as seen in the quote and take it up as if it was adressed to you. Your situation is different as you took a filter for a 600 hp engine in some kind of brute force attempt at beating manufacturer recommendations.

Anyway, 2 microns for prefilter is madness. You can find the recommendations in this document: http://www.racor-filters.com/images/...bineSeries.pdf at page B63.

It says 30 microns is primary, 10 microns is secondary and 2 microns is final.

You must have missed it.
No I did not. Sorry I replied with a different idea to your masterful comment to another response.
The 1000 series is fine for my application and has a much better separation with a 2 micron filter up front Then a 10 /20 500 system. I have a single 1000 2 micron. My cummins has its own separator and filter right at the pump. Water is most likely the big hazard to an engine. fuel gunk is either bad maitenance or water. Either way my 2 micron filter with a large surface area and separator is easy to change and no doubt catch all the crap or water. Think having large capacity very fine hydrophobic surface filters is a good plan. Idea is very fine filtration 2 micron on hydrophobic membrane in a turbine. Got a few years on this setup and a few miles past. You really need not stuff all that polishing gear in line. Very efficient high surface filtration and good fuel treatment should be the first point. Ciao buona notte nick
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 05:45   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sabray,

I had already recognized that your Racor 1000 filter will work for you if your engine meets the flow rate specs for it and you acknowledged it does. Following your line of reasoning of brute force, what filter would you use for a 2,400hp engine, a Racor 134699 with a 4' high housing?

Also, if you follow the link I posted earlier to my fuel system design, you can see that the components of my fuel polishing system are not in line for running the engine at all. My design is based on one from Nordhavn, which most would agree is best in the industry on engine and fuel systems. It never hurts to check stuff like that out before trying to ridicule it.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
yanmar