Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2012, 14:43   #16

Re: Yanmar Filter Recommendations

If one were to use a 2 micron primary and a 2 micron final on the engine instead of 30 and 2, is there a chance the additional strain on the lift pump could cause early failure? Same question for the injecter pump which, as I understand it, is cooled and lubricated by the fuel flow?

Bob
rabend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:46   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend
If one were to use a 2 micron primary and a 2 micron final on the engine instead of 30 and 2, is there a chance the additional strain on the lift pump could cause early failure? Same question for the injecter pump which, as I understand it, is cooled and lubricated by the fuel flow?

Bob
If you do that, you are going against all manufacturer recommendations and are heading into trouble.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:58   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Could anybody explain clearly what kind of trouble?

Michel
siroismi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:59   #19

As I mentioned above, restricting the flow could put additional strain on the lift pump causing early failure. The injector pump is cooled and lubricated by the fuel flow so reducing the flow could cause additional wear and early failure. I am not an expert in this area, but have been told that by experts. I think Nick is right in recommending we follow manufacturer specs; it makes sense.

Bob
Old 18-02-2012, 15:08   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The documents are linked in this thread. Study them and decide who knows better: you or Racor.

There are many things you can do different than recommended, but only in very few cases it makes any sense. If you decide to go against recommendations, you can not ask for how and why because you already decided you know better.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 15:08   #21

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post

Bob
There is a chance that the 2 micron filter could restrict the flow too much.

By the way, you said that you believe the engine final filter is 2 microns. Are you sure? At least on my Yanmar, I believe the secondary filter is 7 microns.
Old 18-02-2012, 15:10   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
There is a chance that the 2 micron filter could restrict the flow too much.

By the way, you said that you believe the engine final filter is 2 microns. Are you sure? At least on my Yanmar, I believe the secondary filter is 7 microns.
If 7 microns, you are fine. Most engines are good with 10 micron final stage.

Ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 15:18   #23

I have not looked up the spec so you are probably correct at 7 microns.
Old 18-02-2012, 15:29   #24

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If you do that, you are going against all manufacturer recommendations and are heading into trouble.

cheers,
Nick.
Challenge the force. The recommendation is usually by a spec giving suction pressure and flow rate. I cant recall seeing a prefilter spec that calls out exact filtration.Specs might look like this.
Specifications
Basic Models 900MA 1000MA
Maximum Flow Rate 90 GPH (341 LPH) 180 GPH (681 LPH)
Port Size (SAE J1926) 7/8”--14 UNF 7/8”--14 UNF
Replacement Elements:
2 micron
10 micron
30 micron
2040SM--OR
2040TM--OR
2040PM--OR
2020SM--OR
2020TM--OR
2020PM--OR
Minimum Service Clearance
Above assembly
Below assembly
5 in. (12.7 cm)
2 in. (5.1 cm)
10 in. (25.4 cm)
2 in. (5.1 cm)
Height 16.2 in. (41.1 cm) 22.0 in. (55.9 cm)
Depth 6.0 in. (15.2 cm) 6.0 in. (15.2 cm)
Width 7.0 in. (17.8 cm) 7.0 in. (17.8 cm)
Weight (dry) 6.0 lb (2.7 kg) 10.0 lb (4.5 kg)
Clean Element Pressure Drop 0.30 PSI (2.07 kPa) 0.43 PSI (2.97 kPa)
Maximum Allowable Pressure1 25 PSI (172 kPa) 25 PSI (172 kPa)
Water In Bowl Capacity 10.3 oz. (305 ml) 10.3 oz. (305 ml)
Available Options:2
Water Sensor
Heater
Yes
No
Yes
No
Operating Temperature --40o to +255oF / --40o to +121oC
Special Notes
1 Pressure installations are applicable up to the maximum PSI shown. Vacuum installations are recommended.
2 Not for use on gasoline
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 15:38   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray

Challenge the force. The recommendation is usually by a spec giving suction pressure and flow rate. I cant recall seeing a prefilter spec that calls out exact filtration.
Then you didn't read the documents.. it's all in there. There's no need to challenge me, I just repeat what I was told by experts. For all I know, you're a far better expert than them and the world will change

ciao!
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 15:45   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend View Post
I have not looked up the spec so you are probably correct at 7 microns.
I'm using a Racor 500 primary with a 10 micron element before the 7 micron secondary, with no ill effects whatsoever. I do have a vacuum gauge on the primary filter which I check daily for any indications of restricted flow, and I change both elements regularly.
Old 18-02-2012, 15:52   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy
I'm using a Racor 500 primary with a 10 micron element before the 7 micron secondary, with no ill effects whatsoever. I do have a vacuum gauge on the primary filter which I check daily for any indications of restricted flow, and I change both elements regularly.
In which country are you?

cheers,
Nick.

Old 18-02-2012, 15:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
I am told that one of the disadvantages of a smaller micron primary filter is "time to blockage" should you run into a contamination problem, thereby providing less time to address the problem before your engine quits. I don't have any data though on the impact of going from 30 to 10. It is probably dependent on the type of contamination.
Old 18-02-2012, 16:04   #29

Boat: PETERSON 44
Wink Re: Yanmar Filter Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Then you didn't read the documents.. it's all in there. There's no need to challenge me, I just repeat what I was told by experts. For all I know, you're a far better expert than them and the world will change

ciao!
Nick.
Uhh yes I did. So point out where Im wrong. I could be wrong but Im not some presumptuous decreed engineer but my numbers say it works. The force thing was whatever humor. The specs spell out minimum flow and max flow. Im sure as a engineer you can get that. Having dealt with numerous wrong engineers Im skeptical that your my way is gods way thinking works everytime. Given your doing pretty well for an engineer. I have been wrong so explain or dont. Dont tell me I didnt read something. You can say you missed this and then I will be like dougggh.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 16:12   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabend

I am told that one of the disadvantages of a smaller micron primary filter is "time to blockage" should you run into a contamination problem, thereby providing less time to address the problem before your engine quits. I don't have any data though on the impact of going from 30 to 10. It is probably dependent on the type of contamination.
Going from 30 to 10 microns primary is fine when your tank is clean and the fuel is clean, i.e. you sail in a 1st world country.

Racor recommends the 10 micron primary when you have a 2 micron final stage and a 30 micron primary when you have a 10 micron final stage.

I try to use a 10 micron filter for polishing fuel, but have to switch to 30 microns if I polish Caribbean fuel the first time. After that, I keep polishing it with 10 microns. With this 10-micron polished fuel, I change Racor 2-micron filter to genset every 1,000 hours. It is dirty at that point but still usable according to vacuum meter.

cheers,
Nick.

Tags
yanmar