Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 18:59   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Yanmar extortion

I need a sea water cooling pump rebuild kit for my Yanmar 2GM. They are listed on various internet sites for around $80. Yanmar parts suppliers are apparently only allowed to sell within exclusive areas. The dealer in my area of eastern Canada wants $180 for this part!!!!!! That's extortion. Anyone have any suggestions.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 19:51   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Depco Pump Company

I just bough a rebuild kit from them but you have to know the year of the engine.

The pumps are two different sizes.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 19:54   #3
Eternal Member

Another way you can go is if you have a friendly mechanic (like me) in your area you can buy the part thru him....but don't forget to send a little work his/her way.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:25   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I wouldn't call that extortion. They have the right to set a price, and you have a right to shop around. You can either rebuild, go to the internet, or find a friendly mechanic as suggested. I personally would rebuild.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:39   #5

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Apparently I don"t have the right to shop around.

It is extortion because the dealers are not allowed to ship parts to someone outside of their protected area. So far I have not found a dealer (other than my local dealer charging 2.3 times the going rate) that will sell me the kit.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:57   #6

Zippy,

Funny you brought that up. We were in the USA for a couple of months and I had a rebuild kit on my list of things to pick up. As it turned out I never got one as I could not find a dealer to send me one.

I got back here to La Paz, Baja Sur. and found a place that rebuilds water pumps. I dropped it off one day and picked it up the next. ALL New parts, bearings and seals and cleaned up like new. ALL UP COST ...... US $60.00! Glad I could not find that

Next time I am in the US I will need to pick up parts, so I need to find a dealer close to where I am so I can just pick them up, or have some one do i9t for me.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 20:21   #7
Eternal Member

There is a site that sell Universal Diesel Parts

They wanted $400 for an exhaust flange...from the manifold....I took the old one to a machine shop.....they made it out of steel....for $100.

Echo..X-Ray..Tango..Oscar..Romeo..Tango..India..Oscar...No vember

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I wouldn't call that extortion. They have the right to set a price, and you have a right to shop around. You can either rebuild, go to the internet, or find a friendly mechanic as suggested. I personally would rebuild.
Old 10-05-2008, 20:23   #8
Eternal Member

Contact Depco

The Kit will run from 40-60 US....plus shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

It is extortion because the dealers are not allowed to ship parts to someone outside of their protected area. So far I have not found a dealer (other than my local dealer charging 2.3 times the going rate) that will sell me the kit.
Old 10-05-2008, 22:35   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Of course you have the right to shop around. Surely there must be more than one retailer in your area?
Plus can you tell us what currency you are referring to. Canadian is different to US and I would have expected the price to be different, but not so far apart as the figures may suggest. Remember a supplier has freight, taxes, duties and the fact thatyou won't be trade but a retail customer.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:02   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Just a note Alan 1USD =CDN 1.006

Does sound like extortion to me and I would ask your local dealer to justify it before reporting him to the BBB and also Yanmar Canada.

Those jerks pi** me off!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51   #11
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
It has been my experience buying replacement parts (Volvo Penta) in Canada is an exercise in frustration (long lead times) and expense (huge markups).

I don't know about Yanmar parts supply in Canada but VP appears to have only 1 avenue for the parts to flow into Canada via a VP distributor in British Columbia. So I've been told, but is probably BS, all the VP parts come from a VP warehouse on the easthern US seaboard (I forget the city) to BC before making their way across Canada.

The biggest problem with replacement parts in Canada would be the size of the market. It's tiny compared to the US. I read the figures a couple of weeks ago and the US has something like 30M recreational boats and Canada has something like a million give or take a few. Distributors and retailers don't have enough critical mass of consumers to stock large (and comprehensive) supplies of replacement parts, which leads to my first point of long lead times and special order parts.

Even though our currencies are on or near par the parts have to flow through so many hands before they get to the consumer they've at least doubled in price and don't forget the Gov't gets their fingers into that basket along the way. It wasn't that long ago that retailers in Canada were paying a 30-40% premium on the US dollar and are still holding stock that was bought back then. If they can't write down those money costs they'll either continue to charge large markups on parts or sell at a loss to liquidate their older stocks of parts and accessories.

For example, a thermostat housing for my VP gas engine in the US is $140 and from a Cdn retailer, are you sitting down? $500+taxes. *shudder* We're lucky we live near a border crossing to NY state. We can skip across the bridge and pick up parts at the local UPS store. We're there practically every weekend along with hundreds of other Cdn's doing the same.

So, I wouldn't blame the parts retailer or mechanic. They're on the shitty end of the supply chain when it comes to supplying their clients with reasonably priced replacement parts. The sharks up the food chain, including the Gov't, shippers, brokers, wholesalers, have all gotten their cut and don't forget the retailer who's got to hold the stock, manage the stock, market the stock and service the sale and answer after sale concerns of the customer. IMHO the retailer and mechanic are really getting the short shaft on replacement parts in Canada.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Of course you have the right to shop around. Surely there must be more than one retailer in your area?
Plus can you tell us what currency you are referring to. Canadian is different to US and I would have expected the price to be different, but not so far apart as the figures may suggest. Remember a supplier has freight, taxes, duties and the fact thatyou won't be trade but a retail customer.
I can't comment on how things in Canada are managed.
I am restricted in where I can provide service in the US. I'm suposed to refer the customer to the local dealers. Most of the time this system works for people who are not transient. They get good service for a local face who can help.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
What am I missing? You type they are on various internet sites for $80.00. Is this the Yanmar site? If so then print it, and show up with it. When I have an issue I go through Yanmar USA, and then to a dealer, distributor, across the state. Boating ain't cheap, and the price of fuel getting the part where ever you are will factor in. Look at the price of food, and everything else going up
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
Most of the time this system works for people who are not transient. They get good service for a local face who can help.
Surely if you have a customer that has taken a "trip" away from home, can he not contact you and have you send the part to him??

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Surely if you have a customer that has taken a "trip" away from home, can he not contact you and have you send the part to him??
yes I can do that.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar