Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 20:24   #1

Boat: 40 ft Fuiji
Yanmar Engines

Does anyone have any idea of what a new/rebuilt Yanmar 55HP Turbo might cost. Current engine has about 3000 hours and apparently runs great but how long can they last. We retire next yr and have access to a 40 foot Fuji and want no problems should we replace or rebuild or run until there is an obvious need to do so? Model is 4JHTE.
Terry Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:37   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
If you do a search on this forum, there have been discussions, in the past, on how long a maintained diesel engine will last. The concensus seemed to be 10,000 to 15,000 hours for a rebuild. The rebuild price is about 1/2 of the replacement cost of the engine.

So, if you calculate how long it took for the boat to accumulate 3000 engine hours and project that into the future, you will answer your question.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:36   #3

Rick, as you have guessed I'm a step or five removed from calling myself a sailor. We have taken and are taking numerous sailing lessons and hope to begin the real thing next year. I never would have guessed an engine could last so long. You probably just saved me quite a few dollars. Thank you very much. The boat is my brothers and has been in storage for four years as he is in China. We can use it for a few years before he gets back.
I do know it has been very well maintained. Thanks again, this forum is excellent and muc appreciated.

Terry
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Terry, I preume you are in the US, so I can only guess based on a price you would pay here, but I suspect you would be looking at around the $1K figure. Pat would be able to give you an exact figure if he reads this.
The main important thing with Turbos is, GOOD CLEAN OIL. Use a good quality oil and filter and keep it regularly changed. Turbos will not endure the life expectancy an engine will. So you would factor in two turbo rebuilds over the life time of the engine. But also note there, it is a REBUILD, not a new Turbo. A rebuild is new bearings and seals. Simple and not tooo expensive to do.
The other issue is that Power comes at a cost. If you up the power from what the engine can deliver as normally asperated, the life expectancy comes down. So you will not get the overall life that the same engine could possibly give you if it was none turbo'd. (We are also assuming a perfect world here.)
Engine wear is a direct result of how many times them Pistons go up and down, so a High reving engine is not going to last as long as a slow reving one. (once again assuming a perfect world)
So to sum that up, if it was a slow reving commercial engine, you could get the 10K+ hrs. But for a high reving turbo'd pleasure craft engine, I suspect you will be halfway through it's life by now.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:28   #5

Skimmedit, I'll be back this evening.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:41   #6

3000Hrs is a good mid-life point on a Yanmar. I question you're HP rating. I don't remember a 55 turbo in the line up. There is a 75 Turbo. Either way, their graet engines. They were originaly based on the Tn series of industrial engine. I'd learn as much as You can about it and go.
There is no such thing as a factory rebuilt Yanmar. You can get a new one with full warranty, or you can get one that someone has rebuilt and will only warranty at their shop. I don't have any pricing info with me this morning. If you're interested email me.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:02   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
Yanmar mechanic told me he has been on boats with Yanmar with 10k hours. It all depends how it has been cared for. We just did a repower and put in a 54hp Yanmar 4JH4E. Cost for engine (with tranny) was about $9,200 I believe.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:45   #8

Pat, thanks for the info, I double checked the model number and found it on this website http://www.udkik.dk/app/motorshow.jsp?id=Yanmar+4JH-TE. Says they were made from 1983 to 1989 although the boat is a 1979 so must have been replaced. Either way it appears they last much longer than I expected. I will study up on diesels before we leave. I have rebuilt a few car engines in fact just finished one last week but not much diesel experience. Sounds as though the engine has few years in front of it if luck is on my side. Thanks again

Terry
Old 09-10-2006, 11:05   #9

Wheels and LaLeLu thank you both as well. I feel a lot better about this engine than I did a few days ago. It is on a 40foot Fuji so probably has run in the 2000 to 2500 rpm range I know my brother babied the engine and whole boat. Do people have as much success with rebuilds as with new? Wheels your entry says $1K I presume you mean $10,000 as that corresponds more closely to LaLeLu's estimate. Anyway hope it gives a few more years of sevice before it requires major dollars. Thanks for the info. I will be relying heavily on everyones advice once we actually get out on the water. It is going to be a very steep learning curve.

Terry
Old 09-10-2006, 11:50   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nah Terry, it was the way I interpreted the question. I thought you meant the Turbo only and hence the reply I gave had more turbo info.
Please note: You can not "baby" Diesel engines. They must be worked to ensure long term reliable operation. Long life is achieved in one way only. Good Oil, regular new filters (Oil, Air and Fuel). An injector check every 1000hrs (if you want to get really nit picky) and Inj. Pump over haul at about 4-5000hrs. And finally, a good operating temp range. That's probably the most difficult to achieve on a boat engine and another reason to run very good oil quality.

Old 09-10-2006, 13:32   #11

Thanks again Wheels, what about synthetic even in an well used engine, I have had very good results with synthetic in car engines

Terry
Old 09-10-2006, 13:33   #12

Dang, that was before my marine time. I've never seen one. Now adays we can do 50ish HP in a normaly aspirated engine.
Old 09-10-2006, 20:48   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Somewhere here is a very good discussion on Oils. Do a search and see what you come up with. I went into quite a bit of detail on synthetics. I have a particular liking to Amsoil. But I have nothing to do with it other than use it.

Old 14-01-2017, 10:41   #14

Boat: Voyage 500
Re: Yanmar Engines

Looking for a reference for a Yanmar dealer or mechanic who is reliable and trustworthy in Savannah. I want to rebuild a pair of 4JH4E's and replace the SD50's with SD60's. The boat will be at Thunderbolt Marina in a few weeks. Any assistance with experience would be greatly appreciated.

s/v SERENITY
Divedoug68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar