Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2022, 15:27   #1

Yanmar engine oil level - dipstick markings very far apart?! 2GM20F

Hi all,
Did oil change on the 2GM20F and when adding oil, it's not clear how much to add. It is supposed to take 2L, but of course it's hard to say how much is left after extraction through the dipstick hole.

The dipstick itself appears to have 2 markings, but they are far apart and manual indicates the second mark should be lower.

Anyone with 2GM20F or experience on this engine can advise?

George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 15:45   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Yanmar engine oil level - dipstick markings very far apart?! 2GM20F

I think the 2 markings represent the maximum and minimum oil levels.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 16:17   #3

Boat: Compass 28

The manual says 2 litres, and that's what you add.

When replacing the oil in my 2GM (same engine casting, same oil capacity) I tip in a measured 2 litres, which gives me a level a bit below the max mark, slightly lower if the service has included a filter change.

Don't stress, just tip in 2 litres and all will be well. Sure there's a little bit of the old stuff left, but after 12 annual services it seems to have no effect.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 16:18   #4

The distance between them is quite significant and manual shows that the two should be much closer to each other. As far as I know this is the original Yanmar dipstick, but the "High/Full" marking is much higher than in the manual.
Old 04-02-2022, 16:35   #5

Well, I guess you got the marks that belonged to the OP of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg222 View Post
Its my first season with this boat/engine, its a 1982 era yanmar 2gm20f diesel. The dipstick for the lube oil has virtually no marks on it. There are 2 small holes in the dipstick, one close to the bottom, the other close to the top. There is a very very slight horizontal mark a bit above that lower hole. Unclear if that horizontal mark means anything or if it indicates high or low.

Can anyone with a yanmar 2gm20f let me know how high up on the dipstick oil should go? Thx.
Yes, the spacing is too far apart for any Yanmar 2GM I've seen. The sump holds 2l/1.3l effective. I'd put in 1.5l and see where you end up, then shoot for about 1/2" to 1" above the lower mark (which appears normal) and ignore the upper mark, something not right there.

If the oil doesn't even show up with 2l added then I'd suspect someone replaced the dipstick with some generic (and too short) version, or the oil pan is not the original.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 17:29   #6
cruiser

Greetings,

I have two of the Yanmar 2gm20 engines in my cat. I will gladly take a couple pics when I am down there, hopefully in the next day or two, but I can tell you that my original dipsticks do not look like the one pictured, the markings, or in this case holes, are much closer together, and the upper mark is much lower, at least it is on both of mine.

I suspect the upthread suggestion of the dipstick having been replaced with a “universal” aftermarket version is correct.

If needed I can send you some pics with a tape measure alongside the factory dipstick so you can transfer the markings to the appropriate locations based on those measurements.

I use a vacuum container to extract the used motor oil and it has markings on the side of the translucent reservoir which allows me to see the level and determine the amount of oil removed. It is usually right at the 2 quart level and I simply pour two quarts in to replace it. Since I am using oversized Baldwin oil filters, about twice or so the volume of the stock filter, I do have to add a bit more after running the engine but it is a negligible amount.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 18:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Greetings,

I have two of the Yanmar 2gm20 engines in my cat. I will gladly take a couple pics when I am down there, hopefully in the next day or two, but I can tell you that my original dipsticks do not look like the one pictured, the markings, or in this case holes, are much closer together, and the upper mark is much lower, at least it is on both of mine.

I suspect the upthread suggestion of the dipstick having been replaced with a “universal” aftermarket version is correct.

If needed I can send you some pics with a tape measure alongside the factory dipstick so you can transfer the markings to the appropriate locations based on those measurements.

I use a vacuum container to extract the used motor oil and it has markings on the side of the translucent reservoir which allows me to see the level and determine the amount of oil removed. It is usually right at the 2 quart level and I simply pour two quarts in to replace it. Since I am using oversized Baldwin oil filters, about twice or so the volume of the stock filter, I do have to add a bit more after running the engine but it is a negligible amount.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Hi Jeb
I would really appreciate it.

Everyone - thanks for the feedback, i appreciate all the input!
Old 05-02-2022, 00:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

My 2005 Yanmar 3GM30F's transmission dip stick has NO markings on it. I bought a replacement and it also had no marks on it.'

I just drain the oil and refill it with the specified quantity.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:10   #9

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Some measuring sticks came without marks and were to be marked when a known guantity of oil was added. This is because different engine installations were at different angles.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 04:44   #10

Boat: C&C

I had 2 -2GM20FC's and the dipstick markings were closer together. Maybe you can find another boat near you with one and check their's out? As long as the max fill line is close, then keep the one you have and you'll have a reference point. You never want to be 1/2 a litre lower or more. With an oil new oil filter it was close to 2 litres on an oil change. -side note-I have 2- Sd20 sail drives in good condition I will be selling-PM me if interested.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 17:41   #11

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

Are there markings on reverse side of dip stick? Are they consistent if so agree with other suggestions given
colinalleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:57   #12
cruiser

Greetings fellow mariners,

Sorry it took me a couple days but stupid responsibilities interfered with my boat time……I know I need to make better choices and next time shirk any and all responsibilities in favor of spending time on the boat.

As I promised, here are some pics of one of my two 1994 model year Yanmar 2gm20 oil dipsticks. I must eat some crow it appears as the one the OP pictured appears to be exactly like both of mine. I ignorantly told him that mine were very different. It appears I was wrong. I shall blame it on my old age and………well I can’t remember what else but I will find something or someone else to blame……..eventually.

At any rate i have included a tape measure to compare your markings and overall length to mine. The last picture was the meter I should have paid more attention to in my initial inaccurate post.

Hope that helps and yes I have learned my lesson to not open my fat trap before I verify my info in the future. I hope I can keep that promise. Remember it takes a big man to admit when he is wrong……I guess that is why I am 250 pounds….years of having to admit I was wrong has made me a “big” man.

I hope any, or perhaps all, of my above prose proves valuable to you!

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6A899F4-3634-4F2D-A8FF-91B67727E5FB.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	252521   Click image for larger version

Name:	E2230910-72B8-43AA-BF56-E5B48D48C3FE.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	252522  

Attached Images

Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 17:35   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'd agree with copacabana, its max & min marks. Our Yanmar ysm8 has the max & min marks far apart but that distance represents not much oil volume.
I always maintain it at or near the top mark but ymmv
I liked luvboats post
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 20:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
it appears as the one the OP pictured appears to be exactly like both of mine.
I hope any, or perhaps all, of my above prose proves valuable to you!

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Thank you, that does help as it alleviates a headache for me. I've filled mine to half way between the two marks and was worried that manual shows the two should be much closer together and in the lower half of the stick. I was about to go and extract some oil, but perhaps I'm overly cautious and the oil level is fine.

Thanks for checking and taking pictures!

Forgot to add - mine is a 2005 2GM20F
Old 06-02-2022, 22:36   #15

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Some engines have a choice of oil pans. Deep, shallow, extra capacity, etc. The dip stick would be different for each.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, engine, oil, yanmar