Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2009, 10:38   #1

Yanmar Cylinder Liners

Anyone out there ever replaced a cyl liner in a small yanmar[3gm]? Am wondering if I can handle it .Main question is how tight they are in block.Am thinking I could fashion a puller if they aren't too tight.I'm replacing all pistons and rings and after cleaning up with stone hone I can see some wear spots. They aren't real bad and I may wait till rings and pistons get here and I can measure clearances.I thought in the meantime I would check on replacing liners. Thanks all
riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 05:00   #2

Send a message via MSN to Kapitan
Hey there,

Yes the liners are tight but you possibly can use a puller to pull them out. You must be a real skilled guy if you're doing this job by yourself by the way

I can supply you the service manual of your engine but the file is 15,1 megabytes. Maybe you can find the manual online.
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 09:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
A list of links to On-Line Manuals can be found here ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uals-8758.html

Yanmar ManualsCascade Engine Center | Diesel Engines | Yanmar Manuals

GM Series ➥ Cascade Engine Center | Diesel Engines | Yanmar Manuals

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:31   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
Anyone out there ever replaced a cyl liner in a small yanmar[3gm]? Am wondering if I can handle it .Main question is how tight they are in block.Am thinking I could fashion a puller if they aren't too tight.I'm replacing all pistons and rings and after cleaning up with stone hone I can see some wear spots. They aren't real bad and I may wait till rings and pistons get here and I can measure clearances.I thought in the meantime I would check on replacing liners. Thanks all

Is the engine block out of the boat? Flip it over and tap them out with a block of hardwood and a hammer. I'd mic out the liners but as long as you're that deep and replacing pistons and rings I'd replace the liners. Not that much more in cost as long as you're doing it yourself.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 10:31   #5

Taper

One of the main things you want to check is taper of the liner. The difference between the wear in the top and bottom of the liner. Use an old ring, push it in with a piston to make sure it is square in the liner. Using a feeler guage, measure the gap at the top and bottom of the liner. Somewhere in the manual, you will find a spec for the maximum amount of taper.
Nice N Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 12:29   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I did it recently on my YSM8R and it wasn't to bad a job. I DO have a small machine shop so my ability to make tools is a bit higher than a lot of folks.

I made a puller from 2 pieces of steel bar stock and a length of 3/4" threaded rod. The piece in the bottom of the sleave mated closely with the bottom edges of the cylinder and the top piece spanned the head bolts. I tightened a nut on the rod at the top and the bottom block forced the sleave out.

Putting the sleave back in is a bit more work. Once everything is out of the block you must clean all the water passages you can get at very well to be rid of all the built up crud.

Once clean and ready for insertion lube the orings with heavy grease, align the sleave as closely as you can and use a large rubber mallet to(gently?) bump the sleave into place. You MUST be sure the sleave is seated correctly to the correct depth or the head will never seal properly. Your manual should give you the specs.

I used a vacuum cleaner(wet/dry threw away hose afterwards) to get all the scaped off crud out of the block before putting the sleave in. Fair warning: Do not even think of reusing the clothes that you do this job in as they will transfer black diesel sooty oil to all your possesions for yards in all directions. A couple of tyvec suits would be a good investment.

Good luck, go slowly, follow the manual, and its not that bad of a job and certainly beats the heck out of the cost of a new motor........m
Old 17-12-2009, 14:17   #7

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by riptide View Post
I helped a friend pull out the liners of a 3 cyllinder Yanmar while at anchor in Chesapeake Bay. Since we were also replacing pistons/rings, we used an old piston with one ring as the puller. We drilled a hole in the center of the piston and attached a threaded rod. We put the piston in the liner upside down and pushed it gently to the bottom until the ring clicked open at the bottom of the liner. Next we attached a bar to the threaded rod on top of the block and pulled the liners out. Using this method we didn't need to remove the block to pull out the liners. The expanded ring was just right to grab the liner and pull it out without touching the block. Good luck...you can do it.
Old 18-12-2009, 08:08   #8

Thanks to all for the replies.The engine is out of the boat.I have a service manual [clymer] so I have the specs.Cantexsalior-what you did was what I was thinking of doing until I read Svcattales idea. It seems like it would work better for me as I dont want to pull crank [I even have a piston that is broken off below rings!].I think I can handle this as I have been a mechanic for 42 years and have fabricated alot of stuff over the years. I again thank all for your replies Mark
Old 18-12-2009, 10:18   #9

Boy that was alot of worry over nothing!!!!! Flipped eng. over and barely tapped on liners and they came right out -didn't see any o rings in grove at top of liner like I expected though. Thanks again all Mark
Old 05-03-2018, 09:10   #10

Re: Yanmar Cylinder Liners

Hiya sorry to wake an old thread !
Does the 3gmd have liners ? As trying to source piston sizes as yanmar want 140 per piston n ring combo !
Canveysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The older 3gmd does have liners. The newer 3gm30f do not.

Be sure that the yanmar folks know the piston is for a 3gmd (with sleeve's) as the piston size is off just enough in the 3gm30f to mess it up.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If the engine has a tractor/industrial application, parts may be cheaper. I believe Alibaba sells Yanmar cylinder kits.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If the engine has a tractor/industrial application, parts may be cheaper. I believe Alibaba sells Yanmar cylinder kits.
That's what I found but need to know piston size 0
Can't seem to find it anywhere !
It's a 3gmd its the original motor I believe so would be approx 35 years old !
Hoping that alibaba kit will fit ,
Not yet pulled it out as weather awfully ,(UK)
But is breathing heave from breather and oil filler cap ,
Canveysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 12:36   #14

Sorry to wake this up again, but hey ho.

I’ve got an issue with my 2gm20, in that when I last tried to start it, it was seized and would not free up with a 750mm breaker bar on the end of the crankshaft. Upon further inspection I found water in the oil, and the air filter, and decided to pull the engine. Once I got it home I pulled the head and found water in one cylinder. I’m thinking the head gasket was probably dead, but I’m also concerned about the number two liner being cracked, as it had a load of water in it, where number one had barely a drop.

I’ve found some of the comments here useful for working out how to pull the liners, I’m just curious as to how easy people found it to fit the new liners?
Eairlie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2019, 17:21   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Putting new liners in is a breeze, it's getting the old ones out thats the problem.
When installing new liners make sure the ledge they sit on is clean & they are supposed to have a dimension for protrusion in our YSM8 at least but check for your 2gm20.
Also grease o-rings & liner where it will contact them.
Our liner did not protude above ( too expensive to fix) but I just used Loctite 518 on head gasket & that cured it from leaking
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar