Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2020, 07:34   #1

Yanmar 4JH5E sea water pump squeek

I just rebuilt my sea water pump due to water dripping in from the internal shaft. Replaced all seals clips and necessary insides . The water leaking has stopped however when I restarted the engine, I developed a squeek that seems to be coming from the water pump. Water output at the thru Hull looks to be normal. No further leaking from the original spot. Any thoughts on my squeek? Thanks in advance....
emtktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 09:07   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Yanmar 4JH5E sea water pump squeek

Could be a bearing or the drive belt slipping. Any infrared hot spots on the pump or pulley?

Normally a rebuild replaces the bearings while you have things apart.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 15:01   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 4JH5E sea water pump squeek

What donradcliffe says +1.

If the bearing weren't replaced, then most likely it is a bearing. Possibly the previous water leak kept a bearing lubricated enough to stop it squealing and is now it running dry.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump, yanmar