Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2021, 14:29   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Yanmar 4JH4 Engine Mounts

Item 1: Looking at the water pump">raw water pump I saw some traces of leakage. Hoping to head back to Caribbean in November. Would far rather deal with this here and now than then and there.

Item 2: Removing the pump requires removing the engine mount. OK, about time to replace those puppies anyway.

THE MYSTERY!!!

The mechanic/service provider just left a voice mail that…according to their part number search…. This Yanmar is to hard mounted, NO engine mounts.

HOWEVER, the 4JH4 parts catalog I have (PDF) shows engine mounts, just as I have installed.

Has anyone come across this issue before? At the moment I am assuming the service provider knows what they are about and have better info than me.

Many thanks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 16:11   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 4JH4 Engine Mounts

Time to find another mechanic/service provider; one who knows what he is doing.

There are few 4JH4 variants but my service manuals show flexible engine mounts on all the ones the manuals cover. I don't have the parts catalogue for the 4JH4 but it is irrelevant; if your engine currently has flexible mounts, it needs them!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 16:14   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

The service provider is an idiot. All engines can be hard mounted or flex mounted. Either way….who cares.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 17:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Item 1: Looking at the raw water pump I saw some traces of leakage. Hoping to head back to Caribbean in November. Would far rather deal with this here and now than then and there.

Item 2: Removing the pump requires removing the engine mount. OK, about time to replace those puppies anyway.

THE MYSTERY!!!

The mechanic/service provider just left a voice mail that…according to their part number search…. This Yanmar is to hard mounted, NO engine mounts.

HOWEVER, the 4JH4 parts catalog I have (PDF) shows engine mounts, just as I have installed.

Has anyone come across this issue before? At the moment I am assuming the service provider knows what they are about and have better info than me.

Many thanks.

Are you’d sure that your engine is a 4JH4? The 4JHY is remarkably similar but only 35 hp and usually only sold for commercial use.
The 4JHY has a contra rotating pair of balance shafts and is supplied with “foundation bolts” so.... hard mounted.
Maybe the service provider just looked in the wrong parts directory or is a commercial vessel service providerClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2650.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	243018
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 17:40   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

100% sure it is a 4JH4-TE

The turbo is a dead give away.
Old 30-07-2021, 18:09   #6

As is the dry exhaust and the honking big transmission. The post was to confirm that some modern small engines don’t use flexible mounts.
Agreed that the raw water pump removal is a drawn out event .... and the engine alignment after the pump repair.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 04:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Skipper Pete,

Yes and thanks for the reply.

Being a steel boat I suspect direct mounts would be sub optimal.

I now see R&D sells special asymmetrical mounts for this particular engine.

I also noticed that the vibration will “groan” a bit when pushed starboard. Perhaps the stiffer, higher rated mount on one side will address that?

This job is getting farmed out. We are in the midst of renovating an apartment, a big job, and my skills/effort are needed here. I can’t find workers to do the needed house repairs, so slave labor it is.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:27   #8

Boat: McIntosh Cutter-rigged Sloop, 47'LOA

We had our engine mounts replaced last season on our 4JH-DT(E). They are not hard mounted (metal to metal, if that's what you mean). They contain vibration dampening material of some sort. The port mounts are different part numbers from the starboard mounts. We also had the mounting brackets that sit atop the mounts and bolt to the engine itself refurbished.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:42   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks for all replies.

I have directed the mechanic to use the R&D asymmetric mounts.

I did drop an email to R&D asking them to explain or describe their decision to provide asymmetric mounts. No answer.

Lets hole these mounts are at least as good as the original mounts.

It is baffling that there is so much contradictory information; clearly some have gotten direction to use the same mounts all around and some have gotten different direction.

I am going with the asymmetric mounts because it makes sense and also I have some vibration associated with being pushed starboard. So it “feels” like asymmetric mounts might help. We shall see.
Old 09-08-2021, 16:36   #10

i'd waste the $$ on a call to a yanmar gold dealer like niemiec marine in new bedford MA. 508 997 7390. supply your yan serial no. and they'll tell you what the engine mount situation is. buy a copy of the parts manual for yr engine while you're at it. or go onto boatdiesel.com, a subscription website well worth the $40 /yr to search for posts on yr topics and be able to ask ? s about any diesel , by mfgr...
kaisardog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar