Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 17:26   #1

Boat: 40 Cape Dory
Yanmar 4JH3E Water Temperature Sending Unit

I am installing a 6system aqua-alarm on my engine, and when closely examining the block for where I could tap into the water cooling system to install the new temperture sending unit I found what appears to be four factory temp. units already in place. In the front of the engine above the water pump there is a housing that connects the pump to the heat exchanger and there are two with wires hooked up to them. Behind the fuel pump where the block water drain is there are two more with wires hooked to them, they appear to be tapped into the cooling water gallery. Oil sending unit is on oil filter housing and there is another sending unit with wires to air intake manifold, I don't have either cold sart, glow plugs, or preheat combustion chambers. New engine out of factory with 300hours. If these arn't sending units then what are they??? john.
JDS61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 18:51   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Yanmar 4JH3E water temperture sending unit

Did you get a Manual with that motor ? Im sure they all do something ! and should be hooked up to gauges or an auto shut off or something ! some one has to have a shop Manual for this yr engine on this site I wish I could help but without something or someplace to start its hard to help ! Your to far for me to do a stop by LOL but im sure someone on here will help! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 19:41   #3

Yes there is a manual and it says nothing about temperature sending units and what these are. The guage works fine and the wiring harness is enclosed in a cover so know way to trace destination. Three quarters of the manual is in different languages so very little is covered as far as details. I am going to T into the overflow reservoir line for a reading so I am not really concerned what these extra sensors do, just curious and thought somebody might be able to enlighten me. John.
Old 28-01-2012, 20:34   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

#26 is the coolant temp sw. (above water pump)
#27 is oil pressure sw.
#34 is oil sensor sw. (idiot lights)
#35 is coolant sensor sw. (idiot lights) (above water pump)

The ones behind the fuel pump and the one on the intake manifold I've not seen before. Do you have a turbo. There are only 4 sensors on the drawing, other then the saildrive.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4JH_wiring.jpg
Views:	2243
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	36593   Click image for larger version

Name:	4JH_wire_harness.jpg
Views:	2296
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	36594  

Old 29-01-2012, 08:45   #5

Re: Yanmar 4JH3E Water Temperature Sending Unit

Delmarrey, yes you are correct, my idiot lights would need a seperate sending unit. My engine does not have a turbo. Thankyou for solving my question on what those units were for. Your blog is great, especially the part about the engine installation, nice work. john.

Tags
water, yanmar