Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19   #1

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Yanmar 4JH3-TE hot water calorifer hook-up

All,

I've tried emailing Beneteau, Yanmar and two Yanmar dealers to no avail (none of them have replied in months), so I'm reaching out to the forums for feedback/advice: there's nothing on the subject in either the operations or service manuals.

P.O. changed the engine (Yanmar 4JH3-TE) and gearbox for a new one around 1200 engine hours ago. This only came to light when I realised the existing hoses coming out of the calorifer of the hot water tank had been chopped somewhere in the bilges, and the hoses not reconnected to the new engine.

I'm thinking of connecting the calorifer into the engine just downstream of the fresh-water pump on the front of the engine, using the same hose-bore-diameter as already exists on the engine (see below sketch with red pointers) with the shortest lengths possible to reduce additional flow-resistance.

The only photo I've managed to find that appears to show the hook-up locations is this one:

Which would appear to tally with the following unused ports on my engine:

I'm assuming here that these ports 'open' when a thermostat comes up to temperature, but again - i'm guessing here...

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated, especially from anybody who has a 4JH3-TE hooked up to their hot water calorifer!

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Old 09-01-2014, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Yanmar 4JH3-TE hot water calorifer hook-up

You need to make sure that the supply side is above the thermostat, and the return is to the FW pump.

Failing to do so could result in the engine not coming up to operating temp fast enough, and or maintaining operating temp.

This is not good for a diesel engine, can cause cold smoke, incomplete combustion, and carbon build up.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 17:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
You need to make sure that the supply side is above the thermostat, and the return is to the FW pump.

Failing to do so could result in the engine not coming up to operating temp fast enough, and or maintaining operating temp.

This is not good for a diesel engine, can cause cold smoke, incomplete combustion, and carbon build up.

Lloyd
Lloyd, thanks for the feedback! I guess that the two capped nipples which I pointed out in the last photo are what I'm looking for? I'll take the upper screw out tomorrow, as I suspect i'll be able to clearly see the output side of the thermostat from there..
Old 09-01-2014, 18:58   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Check page 2.4 of your service manual (piping diagram). It looks to me that the right connection point is the outlet and the left connection point is the inlet. I assume that inlet would refer to the return line from the calorifier.

Or check here, page 2.4
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...59026428,d.b2I
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:04   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

That looks like where they are on the 4JH5... Same motor. I can check in the morning to compare your picture.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 19:36   #6

Boat: Great Harbour 47 Trawler - Seven Tenths

Phil,
I have the same engine and you have the correct points to connect the hot water heater loop / calorifer. I will take a few pics and post.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 13:58   #7

Henry/Faith, thanks!

Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk
Old 21-04-2014, 14:29   #8

Do yanmars normally have a additional inline on the calorifier supply, I know my Volvo did,
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 14:31   #9

Inline termostat ..... I meant
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, water, yanmar