Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 22:41   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Yanmar 4JH2E owner's manual (not service manual)

Hey all, I'm starting some standard maintenance item on our new-to-us Yanmar. We have the service manual which tells us in great detail how to replace the cylinder liners and main bearings but doesn't really seem to address the standard maintenance schedules, fluid types and other standard owner stuff to know. I spent an hour going through this service manual but no where could I find what type of coolant to use. I have instructions on building a freshwater pump from scratch but no idea what to put in it.

Does anybody have a PDF of the owner's manual for this engine? I'd really like to make sure I'm following factory specs on coolant, oil, maintenance schedules, etc.

(I've gone through the 4JHE manual referenced here on this site but it looks to be a service manual as well.)
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 23:18   #2

Boat: Tayana 48 - Mata'irea
We don't have an owners manual for our Yanmar either, but we've found these guys to be super helpful:
Yanmar Marine Engine Help
Mata'irea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 13:47   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I think these are the west coast distributors for yanmar. I have ordered manuals and parts from them and the service and help was excellent.
Boatswain's Locker
+1 949 642 6800
www.boatswainslocker.com
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 04:39   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yanmar Service Bulletin
COOLANT ADDITIVES
After testing some popular coolant/anti-freeze solutions, we have reached the following recommendations. It was not possible to test all brands on the market, so there may be some solutions that are acceptable but have not been tested. However, caution is advised if using other than approved brands.
Regardless of the recommendation of the coolant/antifreeze manufacturers it is YANMAR'S requirement that the solution is changed every 500 hours (On the YANMAR Model 6LP 250
hours) or once a year whichever comes first.
We do not recommend any other additives be added to the cooling system. Purified or distilled water mixed with the approved coolant/anti-freeze is the only protection approved by YANMAR.
Concentrations of the Enix-ture should follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. The coolant/anti-freeze must be compatible with aluminum.
Advantages of this type of coolant:
• Improved water pump life due to reduced water pump seal wear resulting from fewer abrasive
dissolved solids.
• Reduces hard water scale.
• Offers excellent protection against pitting corrosion caused by cylinder liner cavitation. Better
heat transfer than conventional coolants with regular SCALE additions.
• No silicate gel formation during use or storage.
• Outstanding hot surface aluminum protection.
• Superior protection in high operating temperature conditions.
• Effective, long-term corrosion protection for aluminum, brass, cast iron, steel, solder and
copper alloys.

The coolant/anti-freezes that have been tested and approved are shown below:
• Texaco Long Life Coolant Anti-Freeze both regular and pre-mixed Product codes 7991 and 7998. This product is available in gallon containers, drums and bulk. It is recommended that the cooling system be drained and flushed before filling. Only Texaco Long Life Coolant should be
used for top-off. This product has a much longer shelf life than conventional coolants provided the integrity of the container is maintained. For additional information and availability contact
Texaco at 1-800-782-7852.
• Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant. Product code 7994. This product is available through Texaco gas stations, Procedures are the same as with Texaco Long Life Coolant Anti-Freeze.
• Dex-Cool Long Life Coolant. This product is available through GM service centers worldwide.
• Prestone Extended Life Coolant. Product code AF888. If the above coolants are not readily available, Prestone Extended life coolant is satisfactory.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 11:13   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

www.cascadeengine.com on the front page there is a button (manuals) click on Yanmar, click on Marine, clink on jh4 and in there is a Owners manual for a new JH series but it should work. Any Yanmar dealer can order you a manual. I am a dealer in the Northwest.
Inlet Marine Services is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manuals, yanmar