Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2020, 18:04   #31

Boat: Columbia 43
Re: Yanmar 4JH2-TE complete rebuild - next steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Would you be able to do a cost comparison for the forum, I have been under the impression that the sum of the parts may well be more than the cost of a new engine?
Total parts cost?
Total hours (roughly)
I put a new turbo, reconditioned fuel pump, new starter motor (all genuine Yanmar parts) on a 4JH4 TE and was perilously close to a new short engine cost.
My total came to just under $5,000 for parts and about $1,000 for outside labor (clean injectors, clean and test fuel injection pump, and block/head work). I did not have to replace the turbo nor the fuel injection pump (both are very expensive). I did buy a new starter, but went with a clone, which cost only a couple hundred. My original Yanmar starter works just fine, and I'll keep it as a spare. The only reason I bought the aftermarket starter was simply the age of the existing one. I figured cheap insurance. I did replace just about everything else, including wiring harness, genuine Yanmar engine mounts (ouch!), fuel pump, all sensors, valves (and guides and seals), pistons, all hoses, gaskets, O-rings, etc. etc.

I don't know how many hours I spent on the project, because it was spread out over many months while I juggled work, kids, life, etc. I think all that time spent will be repaid by my intimate knowledge of the engine and how to fix it, which gives me the confidence to take the boat anywhere.

Hard to say what a replacement engine would cost. Similar engines come up on eBay now and then; some of them are rebuilds and some "as is". The cost seems to vary between about $7,000 for the as-is to $10,000 for the rebuilds. A new Beta 50 hp engine goes for about $11 - 12,000 I think. Mine is 55 HP, but close enough. So for about $6,000 I have what is basically a new engine worth about $10 - 12,000.

I could have saved about $1,500 by not having the cylinders bored and buying new pistons. That was a judgment call: the cylinders were out of spec, but I could easily have just ignored that problem.
Old 15-10-2020, 20:33   #32

To clarify, when I said I bought a new "fuel pump" I was referring to the little diaphragm pump that sits at the bottom of the fuel injection pump. The fuel hose from the Racor goes to the input of this little guy, and the output goes to the on-engine fuel filter.
Old 16-10-2020, 00:25   #33

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Savage)

Thankyou for your figures, clearly you made the right economic decision.
I wonder if the prices are the same in Aus?
Toccata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 04:56   #34

Boat: 15 metre Catamaran

Congratulations. Well done.

You certainly earned that feeling of accomplishment and ownership you're feeling right now!

I think when you buy something it becomes a possession, but when you build it, you own it.

Cheers.
Paul.
Old 16-10-2020, 10:02   #35

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Good job!
Satisfying aint it?

Was slightly surprised you didnt replace the crush washers when you bought new bolts.
You can re-use copper washers at least once if you heat them red hot. That softens them as they work harden. Can do it on LPG or electric stove easy

Doing it too many times they get thinner & wider as they crush down.
New is better if tolerances are an issue such as in an injection pump.
Just added this if someone else needs to rejuvenate copper crush washers.
This is true, however, By my education and experience you have to quench the copper in water to completely anneal it to soft condition. I always found it interesting that non-ferrous metals require quenching to anneal and ferrous require quenching to harden.

Cheers
Jim
Old 17-10-2020, 14:48   #36

Well, it wasn't the copper crush washers. The scene of the crime is here (the banjo bolts are loosened in this pic):

I cleaned the surfaces of the oil lines with 300 grit wetordry, being meticulously careful not to get any dust into the oil line). I put in brand new crush washers. I torqued the banjo bolts correctly, fired up the engine, and oil gushed out at about the place my finger is pointing to.

WTF!!! I removed the J-shaped oil line that connects the turbo to the lube oil cooler to double-check my smoothing job. And here's what I noticed for the first time:

See the collar where the fitting attaches to the tubing? Where did that little hole come from??? !!!! It looks so nice and clean, as if it is supposed to be there. And notice that the hole survived my paint job (nice Yanmar gray paint, huh?). When I saw the hole, I just started laughing. Remember what Sherlock Holmes said: "When you have eliminated all other possibilities, whatever remains, no matter how unlikely, must be the case."

I'm not going to risk braising or welding that thing. Time to send more money to Toad Marine Supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil line 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	225351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil line close-up.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	225352  

Old 17-10-2020, 15:00   #37

This just keeps getting better and better. That little oil line costs $57. Any suggestions on a way to repair the little hole?
Old 17-10-2020, 15:08   #38
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWebber View Post
This just keeps getting better and better. That little oil line costs $57. Any suggestions on a way to repair the little hole?
Silver solder.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 16:12   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

what Wotname says but brazing or welding if you can drive a TIG would work as well.

Thats amazing that the hole appeared in the socket part though. Pipe musta been pretty corroded as is evidenced by the pitting in the sealing face.

Good pictures.
Mate Yanmar wanted $136 for a 6" section of fuel line down here so no surprise about the oil line cost.
Did hot salt water get sprayed on it?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 18:03   #40

After wire brushing away the paint, I saw that the fitting is brazed to the pipe. I decided to braze the repair in the same way. I bought some flux-coated brazing rods (skinny ones) for $4, then filed the area to clean bare metal. I heated the area to bright red hot, and held the brazing rod just uphill from the hole. After maybe 15 seconds, the bronze melted and flowed nicely all over the damaged area. I quenched it with cold water, cleaned it up, blew it out with compressed air, and put it back on the engine.

Problem solved -- but I will keep a sharp eye out for any leaks in that area in the future. Luckily, it's really easy to visualize (I have a V-Drive, so that end of the engine is right behind the compartment door).
Old 17-10-2020, 18:21   #41
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Good outcome

Did you use some more of the Yanmar grey paint?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 18:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Good outcome

Did you use some more of the Yanmar grey paint?
No way -- I hear it eats holes through steel.
Old 17-10-2020, 19:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
what Wotname says but brazing or welding if you can drive a TIG would work as well.

Thats amazing that the hole appeared in the socket part though. Pipe musta been pretty corroded as is evidenced by the pitting in the sealing face.

Good pictures.
Mate Yanmar wanted $136 for a 6" section of fuel line down here so no surprise about the oil line cost.
Did hot salt water get sprayed on it?
Hmmm. That wee oil pipe sits right next to the sea water hose from the oil cooler to the heat exchanger. In fact, the hose clamp on the oil cooler is one inch from that oil pipe fitting. The sea water would be warmed by the lube oil at that point, not the block. Even so, it would be warmed up. I bought the boat 4 years ago and trucked it from Florida to Lake Superior. It therefore had many years in the salt chuck. It's entirely possible that a pinhole leak near that hose clamp could have put sea water on the oil fitting.

I'm glad I replaced every hose on the engine.
Old 19-10-2020, 20:24   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeighWebber View Post
After wire brushing away the paint, I saw that the fitting is brazed to the pipe. I decided to braze the repair in the same way. I bought some flux-coated brazing rods (skinny ones) for $4, then filed the area to clean bare metal. I heated the area to bright red hot, and held the brazing rod just uphill from the hole. After maybe 15 seconds, the bronze melted and flowed nicely all over the damaged area. I quenched it with cold water, cleaned it up, blew it out with compressed air, and put it back on the engine.

Problem solved -- but I will keep a sharp eye out for any leaks in that area in the future. Luckily, it's really easy to visualize (I have a V-Drive, so that end of the engine is right behind the compartment door).
Did ya anneal yr crush washers at the same time?
Doubt that place will ever be a problem again. Now you are in fresh water the spray is much less damaging anyway.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 23:36   #45

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Just in case, you can get any kind of banjo fittings, in any material or configuration you want (SS, steel, brass, chromed; nipple end, braze-on, JIC metric, hose, rigid pipe) off the interweb, for way less than Yanmar.

For 57.00, you'd probably be able to swing SS with braided SS line.

Hard to beat a 4.00 braze though; it'll likely outlast you...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, yanmar