Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 00:15   #46

Boat: Hans Christian 41
Yanmar 4JH2-TE complete rebuild - next steps?

Hi leighwebber,

Great job.

I have the same engine and completed a rebuild a few years back, like you i had the engine taken go a machine shop to re bore etc.

Without going into too much detail the shop managed to crack the fuel injection pump across the face where it bolts onto the block!.,! I did not realise this until tracing a new oil leak took months to find this fault....

I have been looking for a replacement fuel injection pump for this engine everywhere as yanmar do not make them any more!... oil leak is manageable but annoying.

My FI pump model number is 729571-51300 would you be able to confirm yours is the same and if you came across any units during your rebuild?

Thanks in advance, and here is a pic of my damaged FI showing crack, it goes right through and across the face as I mentioned.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1603178045.550623.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	225522
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 07:04   #47

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"
Re: Yanmar 4JH2-TE complete rebuild - next steps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulaire View Post
Hi leighwebber,

Great job.

I have the same engine and completed a rebuild a few years back, like you i had the engine taken go a machine shop to re bore etc.

Without going into too much detail the shop managed to crack the fuel injection pump across the face where it bolts onto the block!.,! I did not realise this until tracing a new oil leak took months to find this fault....

I have been looking for a replacement fuel injection pump for this engine everywhere as yanmar do not make them any more!... oil leak is manageable but annoying.

My FI pump model number is 729571-51300 would you be able to confirm yours is the same and if you came across any units during your rebuild?

Thanks in advance, and here is a pic of my damaged FI showing crack, it goes right through and across the face as I mentioned.

Attachment 225522

for what it's worth - I have used Devcon metal repair epoxies to repair items like you pump housing with good historical results. Not permanent solution but it will last a long time until you can find a replacement.

This aluminum putty, I have used to repair aluminum castings, housings, pump housings with good results.

https://www.mcmaster.com/74575A72/
Old 10-07-2023, 13:43   #48

Re: Yanmar 4JH2-TE complete rebuild - next steps?

Hi
I am about to replace the cracked flywheel cover on my 4jh2 engine
I plan to do this in the boat.
The two rear mounts are attached to this cover will I need to remove the oil pan to remove the gear box plate as I had planed to support the engine on the pan.
Any pointers you could give me would be appreciated

Thanks Pete
Capt Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild, yanmar