Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 23:08   #1

Yanmar 4JH110

I am building a new Boreal 55.2 and would like to get some feedback on the Yanmar 4JH110. Specifically, I would like to hear from anyone that is using this new motor. Have they had any issue with it?
TonyMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 20:33   #2

Boat: Alden 52
Re: Yanmar 4JH110

I repowerd my 1987 Alden 52' with the Yanmar 4JH110 about five years ago. I now have just over 500 hours and haven't had any issues. I also added the second alternator kit and recently added the Yachting Devices YDEG-4 gateway so I can view all the engine status on my helm mounted plotter. I would have preferred a slower tuning tractor engine, beta or what have you but was constrained by the engine compartment, my other option was a Volvo D-3 but the Yanmar just fit my application better. My cruising is in the PNW so getting clean fuel isn't an issue and I motor a lot so my engine hours are in the 2200-2500rpm range. This engine replaced a Westerbeke W-70, it's probably a little more then I needed, could have gone with the non-intercooled 87hp version. Of course, many on this forum are suspect of the common rail engines so I won't go down that road. I'll just say I've been happy so far.
isail52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2022, 21:32   #3

Re: Yanmar 4JH110

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMerc View Post
I am building a new Boreal 55.2 and would like to get some feedback on the Yanmar 4JH110. Specifically, I would like to hear from anyone that is using this new motor. Have they had any issue with it?

As much as I like the 4JH series of Yanmar engines I have a low opinion of the 4JH110 for no other reason than the adoption of common rail ECU fuel injection. For cruising yachts the quality of fuel available in overseas ports and the potential to contaminate fuel stored in deck containers seriously compromises the fuel injection system. The adoption of new storage cell technology may further increase the level of vulnerability to a total loss of power through surge damage to the ECU ( and from lightning strikes)
The basic engine is still an excellent bit of machinery, a further improvement on a well tested design.
Consider a 4LHA, so far this series has has avoided being upgraded to full electronic injection control. Maybe too much HP for you but an excellent engine at 130hp
I know that the global adoption of common rail across all Diesel engines is inevitable but for now, a bluewater cruising yacht can still be equipped with an engine that can.... once started up...... run without electricity ( yes, I’m aware of the alternator’s needs and the stop solenoid and the loss of the instrumentation and possibly the supply pump ...it can still run) unlike the common rail that will be unusable.
The 4JH110 will perform well and do all that’s expected of it...... until it doesn’t ..... and when it doesn’t , it had better be within range of a yanmar parts and dealership facility.
Pete.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar