Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 14:09   #1

Boat: Moody 33S
Question Yanmar 3ym3o dip stick

When I remove my dipstick it comes out clean but when I re insert and remove, it indicates what I believe to be the true oil level. All this carried out on stationary engine. Puzzeled? Any comments.

Brendan
jacaranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 14:29   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Yanmar 3ym3o dip stick

i get this too on 1 engine. Contribute to air bubble play.

However, I get even more interesting one: Saildrive oil alternates between minimum level which is recommended and slightly above maximum.

After I check cold, and level is close to min level (optimal), go out, come back and before going out next time check again. Level is slightly above max. Oil clean. First time suspected water ingress. However,...

Then go out come back and again check before going out next time and level is again near min ( optimal) and clear.

And this alternates up and down...

HUH!
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 15:55   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Yanmar 3ym3o dip stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaranda View Post
When I remove my dipstick it comes out clean but when I re insert and remove, it indicates what I believe to be the true oil level. All this carried out on stationary engine. Puzzeled? Any comments.

Brendan
Some dip stick tubes are the same length as the dip stick. They are like that so you can pump out the sump through the tube. Your cars dip stick only goes through the block, not all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. When the dip stick is in such a small tube for it's whole length, you can have your weird problem.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar