Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2022, 22:14   #1

Boat: Saturna 33
Yanmar 3YM30 - 'stop' button while cranking engine

Hi there:
After a longtime of not running the engine, Yanmar recommends that you crank the engine without starting for 5 seconds to get the oil dispersed. You're supposed to hold down the 'stop' button while cranking the engine so that it won't fire. But mine fires anyways.

Curious to hear others' experiences/comments.
daggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 22:56   #2

Re: Yanmar 3YM30 - 'stop' button while cranking engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo View Post
Hi there:

After a longtime of not running the engine, Yanmar recommends that you crank the engine without starting for 5 seconds to get the oil dispersed. You're supposed to hold down the 'stop' button while cranking the engine so that it won't fire. But mine fires anyways.

Well I guess it can’t do any harm to bring up the oil pressure with 5 seconds of dead cranking.
There’s a bellows on the stop solenoid at the aft end of the injector pump that’s called the “emergency shutdown” for use if the electrical circuit to the stop solenoid fails. Push that bellows in and have an assistant operate the starter. Be careful not to crank for too long, it’s possible to flood the exhaust with seawater.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 00:19   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hi there:

Presumably your 'stop' button functions normally when the engine is running (otherwise you would not be able to stop the engine). So this suggests to me the 'stop' function is failing at the lower battery voltage that occurs during the start phase.

Whether this is real problem or not remains unknown but I suspect it is the early stages of a developing electrical problem - either with the battery (i.e.too low cranking volts) or with the stop solenoid (not operating at say 10V).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 00:28   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I use the mecanical stop button that is on the engine. The electrical one on the control panel is without effect when starting the engine. 3JH4E engine.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 10:37   #5

Is there a mechanical stop button on the 3YM30? I can't seem to find a reference for that.
Old 28-09-2022, 10:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Well I guess it can’t do any harm to bring up the oil pressure with 5 seconds of dead cranking.
There’s a bellows on the stop solenoid at the aft end of the injector pump that’s called the “emergency shutdown” for use if the electrical circuit to the stop solenoid fails. Push that bellows in and have an assistant operate the starter. Be careful not to crank for too long, it’s possible to flood the exhaust with seawater.
Are you saying it's not common practice to do this after a long period of not running the engine?
Old 28-09-2022, 13:11   #7

Quote:
Are you saying it's not common practice to do this after a long period of not running the engine?

I can’t speak for the entire boating community but from my own experience it’s not really common practice. Having said that, I hate starting (lube oil) dry engines either after rebuild or after long layup periods so I use an accumulator full of engine oil to prime ( or to fill) the lube oil system through the main gallery access points.
Many engines take at least a few seconds to flash up after a long period of inactivity so that period of cold cranking does pretty much what you say Yanmar is suggesting. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	265096
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ym30, engine, yanmar