Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2024, 00:20   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Diego
Boat: Jeanneau 349
Posts: 630
Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

What is the max cruise RPM people use for the Yanmar 3YM20? 2800 seems to be decent tradeoff for speed and efficiency but seeking what I can run at if I need to do a 12 hour fast cruise home.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 00:39   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: EC
Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Posts: 1,194
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

The usual range is 70 -80% of WOT.


We have twin 3YM30s with Gori overdrive folding props, we run at 2800 - 3000 on one motor or 2500 each on two - we nearly always run on one for any distance longer than an hour.



See attached article for interest.

https://www.tradeaboat.com.au/news-r...-engine-review
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 02:15   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 21,043
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

Max continuous rpm for the 3YM20 is 3489.
Max intermittent rpm is 3600.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:36   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Diego
Boat: Jeanneau 349
Posts: 630
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
The usual range is 70 -80% of WOT.


We have twin 3YM30s with Gori overdrive folding props, we run at 2800 - 3000 on one motor or 2500 each on two - we nearly always run on one for any distance longer than an hour.



See attached article for interest.

https://www.tradeaboat.com.au/news-r...-engine-review
Well I think it’s 80% load but I haven’t a clue what that is with the basic engine controls. Great article though.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 08:43   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Diego
Boat: Jeanneau 349
Posts: 630
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Max continuous rpm for the 3YM20 is 3489.
Max intermittent rpm is 3600.
Did you get that from the same article or somewhere else? Would there be concern running it for long at that RPM? Granted, I think the max I would do is 3200 RPM but cruising at 3200 vs 2800 is about a knot pickup for me and on a 75 mile run, that can really cut down the transit.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2024, 10:23   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: La Conner, WA, USA
Boat: Atlas Pompano 21
Posts: 97
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

Continuous and Max RPM are inferred from the operators manual. That is, the rated Continuous power is achieved at an RPM of 3489.

Don't be afraid to run at this rpm, just watch for signs of overloading or overheating. (Black smoke or heavy steam out the exhaust or the temperature alarm going off.)
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 00:50   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: EC
Boat: Cruising Catamaran
Posts: 1,194
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

If you are going to run at 3200 and have not done it recently, just make sure your impeller is pretty new and heat exchanger not blocked by broken blades, calcium etc. and elbow is clear. These things might be a little worn or constricted but not enough to worry the system at 2500rpm. If I were you I would take it for a run first at 3200 rpm for 1/2 an hour check with a heat gun at various points on the engine - if all with tolerances per manual it should be fine to do longer runs - assumes gearbox and other peripherals like V belts, alternator, coolant pump, thermostat are also in good nick.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2024, 08:22   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: San Diego
Boat: Jeanneau 349
Posts: 630
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 max cruise RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Tin View Post
If you are going to run at 3200 and have not done it recently, just make sure your impeller is pretty new and heat exchanger not blocked by broken blades, calcium etc. and elbow is clear. These things might be a little worn or constricted but not enough to worry the system at 2500rpm. If I were you I would take it for a run first at 3200 rpm for 1/2 an hour check with a heat gun at various points on the engine - if all with tolerances per manual it should be fine to do longer runs - assumes gearbox and other peripherals like V belts, alternator, coolant pump, thermostat are also in good nick.
She was serviced about 40 hours ago/ 6 months and I do run her at 3000 for an hour or two here and there and run her at WOT for 5-10 minutes each outing. Just never ran her at 3200 or 3400 for a long period of time.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise, rpm, yanmar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 3YM20 Oil Pressure Alarm with B Engine Panel Capitain Mike Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 5 23-07-2011 15:15
Want To Buy: Yanmar 3YM20, 3YM30 or Beta 20, 25, 28, 30 or Similar Sailboatminder Classifieds Archive 1 24-02-2011 20:14
Yanmar 3ym20 VDO Tachometer Settings jussip Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 31-07-2009 08:16

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.