Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 19:53   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Yanmar 3YM20 Initial 50 hour service

My wife and I are trying to plan our initial cruising plans but this initial service may mess them up a bit. How strict is the initial 50 hour service on timing (meaning if it is 60 or 65, would that be a long term detriment)? We are slated to get our new boat in early August (boat was pushed back 2-3 weeks due to the Beneteau cyber attack). However, we want to do a week long cruise at the end of August for our anniversary. Problem is, that doesn’t give us much time to hit the initial 50 hours before going on this trip. We are looking to go up to Catalina from San Diego which, conservatively, is 16 hours each way plus some motoring around up there. Seems that this trip may be about 50 engine hours at the top end and likely less as we will motor up and sail back, which would cut a significant chunk of hours. Given this, would there be any detriment to going over or having the service done under 50? I just think it will be hard to do 50 hours in the engines within the first two weeks of having the boat.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 21:19   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 Initial 50 hour service

Be terrible luck to have to motor ALL the way there and back, takes me at least 6-8 months to put that many hours on the engine, including trips to Catalina. I think you may not need service until after your cruise, 50 hours is 6 months in average use.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 22:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Be terrible luck to have to motor ALL the way there and back, takes me at least 6-8 months to put that many hours on the engine, including trips to Catalina. I think you may not need service until after your cruise, 50 hours is 6 months in average use.
What can I say, I like to plan for the worst. Would hate to be up there constantly worrying about the hours versus enjoying ourselves. Realistically, a full motor up and hopefully mostly full sail back. We may end up doing San Diego - Oceanside - Avalon which would add some hours and hopefully just straight down the hill going back. It’s our first boat (currently been doing Sailtime) so want to take the best care of it and precautions.
Old 26-04-2021, 23:35   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
My wife and I are trying to plan our initial cruising plans but this initial service may mess them up a bit. How strict is the initial 50 hour service on timing (meaning if it is 60 or 65, would that be a long term detriment)? We are slated to get our new boat in early August (boat was pushed back 2-3 weeks due to the Beneteau cyber attack). However, we want to do a week long cruise at the end of August for our anniversary. Problem is, that doesn’t give us much time to hit the initial 50 hours before going on this trip. We are looking to go up to Catalina from San Diego which, conservatively, is 16 hours each way plus some motoring around up there. Seems that this trip may be about 50 engine hours at the top end and likely less as we will motor up and sail back, which would cut a significant chunk of hours. Given this, would there be any detriment to going over or having the service done under 50? I just think it will be hard to do 50 hours in the engines within the first two weeks of having the boat.

I would only sweat an extra 15hrs if it affects your warranty. No worries if you do it under 50 either
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 01:56   #5

I wouldn't sweat the extra hours either (you probably won't hit them if you actually sail the boat). Compass790 (above) is one of CF's resident Mechanic/Experts, so you can trust his advice.

I'm not familiar with the sailing area. Is it necessary to motor ALL the way there? (Side Comment: 6-8 hours of motoring at the start of a sailing trip would be my idea of a nightmare. My favourite sound on a sailboat is when the engine goes off. But then, that's me.)

If you'd like some comfort, call Yanmar (for verification of the warranty parametres) or a Yanmar certified mechanic (for an opinion only, ie. it would not "count" with Yanmar and whatever they stipulate to maintain the engine's warranty these days...)

And for God's sake, ensure you absolutely use a Yanmar-certified mechanic when you get the service done!

Oh! And Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a lovely cruise.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:17   #6

Boat: '77 CAL33

i think you'll be fine on the hours even if you motor both ways.

you didn't ask, but my advice would be to motor/sail up the coast to dana point, with an onight in oceanside. then you can sail from dana to catalina. reason for the coast route has much to do with using a new boat and the possibilities of needing some initial help.

motretu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:29   #7

Again, I am mainly planning for the worst case scenario. Problem is this leg is mostly up wind and given the distance, will likely need to plan to motor/motor sail up.

@motretu That’s a good point. Main concern with Dana Point is that it adds considerable time to the trip. We will probably make that a game time decision based on how we feel with the boat on our trips prior to this.
Old 27-04-2021, 09:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
I wouldn't sweat the extra hours either (you probably won't hit them if you actually sail the boat). Compass790 (above) is one of CF's resident Mechanic/Experts, so you can trust his advice.

I'm not familiar with the sailing area. Is it necessary to motor ALL the way there? (Side Comment: 6-8 hours of motoring at the start of a sailing trip would be my idea of a nightmare. My favourite sound on a sailboat is when the engine goes off. But then, that's me.)

If you'd like some comfort, call Yanmar (for verification of the warranty parametres) or a Yanmar certified mechanic (for an opinion only, ie. it would not "count" with Yanmar and whatever they stipulate to maintain the engine's warranty these days...)

And for God's sake, ensure you absolutely use a Yanmar-certified mechanic when you get the service done!

Oh! And Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a lovely cruise.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
Thanks! And definitely will use a certified mechanic. I plan to do some of these services myself but for the warranty purposes, I believe they need to do the initial 50 hour and then each annual one as well.
Old 28-04-2021, 13:42   #9

Why don’t you just bring the stuff you need to do the service and do it yourself if you hit 50hrs? It’s just an oil change. You need like a gallon of oil, a filter, an empty container, some rags and a oil drain pump (https://www.ninefit.se/products/jabs...RoCv2kQAvD_BwE)

It’s easy and done in 15 minutes and something you will have to do a lot in the future so it’s great to learn
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 14:33   #10

Boat: Valiant 42

My Yanmar 50 hours also involved valve clearance. Sounds complicated but really rather simple to check and adjust. I did it in around 4 hours all in and taking my sweet time. All in the service manual.

Yanmar said it was OK to do it myself.

Repowered in Chesapeake Bay; 60 engine hours later serviced in Narragansett Bay.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 16:00   #11
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Just a reminder, the initial service should be carried out at 50 hours or after one month's service - whichever comes first.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 17:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
Why don’t you just bring the stuff you need to do the service and do it yourself if you hit 50hrs? It’s just an oil change. You need like a gallon of oil, a filter, an empty container, some rags and a oil drain pump (https://www.ninefit.se/products/jabs...RoCv2kQAvD_BwE)

It’s easy and done in 15 minutes and something you will have to do a lot in the future so it’s great to learn
I’d do the oil changes myself but has a long list of other items, one of which is draining the fuel tank. I think there’s also warranty implications (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween View Post
My Yanmar 50 hours also involved valve clearance. Sounds complicated but really rather simple to check and adjust. I did it in around 4 hours all in and taking my sweet time. All in the service manual.

Yanmar said it was OK to do it myself.

Repowered in Chesapeake Bay; 60 engine hours later serviced in Narragansett Bay.
Did you reach out to someone from Yanmar and if so can you PM me the contact info? One of the items that I’m concerned with is that the engine has a 2+3 year warranty under which it looks like you need authorized sign off from Yanmar for the 50 hour and then each year following (and maybe in between). I’d really rather do a lot of these myself but I can’t find any good guidance as to what is allowed to keep the warranty. Sent Yanmar an email but TBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just a reminder, the initial service should be carried out at 50 hours or after one month's service - whichever comes first.
Thanks for that. I’ll likely be within the first month of service during this trip.
Old 28-04-2021, 17:41   #13
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
I’d do the oil changes myself but has a long list of other items, one of which is draining the fuel tank........
FWIW, this only applies if you have fitted the optional triangular 30 liter fuel tank.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2021, 20:07   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, this only applies if you have fitted the optional triangular 30 liter fuel tank.
Well that’s a relief as that would have been a serious PITA. Would be great if we had any Yanmar techs here that could help clarify the warranty issue.
Old 29-04-2021, 06:34   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

I think you are in San Diego. PacWest does a ton of Yanmar service. And will answer your question/do the service.
Question:
"Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just a reminder, the initial service should be carried out at 50 hours or after one month's service - whichever comes first."
Where do you see that in the owners manual. It says 50 hours in mine. The only item that is 50 hours or one month is checking battery.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, yanmar