Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 11:43   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 Initial 50 hour service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I think you are in San Diego. PacWest does a ton of Yanmar service. And will answer your question/do the service.
Question:
"Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just a reminder, the initial service should be carried out at 50 hours or after one month's service - whichever comes first."
Where do you see that in the owners manual. It says 50 hours in mine. The only item that is 50 hours or one month is checking battery.
I thought Valley Power Systems was the local shop for Yanmar?
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 14:15   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Valley Power Systems has a number of locations in the LA area. PacWest is an authorized Yanmar distributer in San Diego on Shelter Island.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 14:37   #18

Interesting, they didn’t show up on Yanmar’s website but I’ll give them a call. The second of the 349’s is about to be delivered here so mine will be next (the photo is of the current one being delivered this week).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6C1A3BB3-C45A-49FC-9867-32E5C6F0B7D0.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	428.1 KB
ID:	237485  
Old 29-04-2021, 16:01   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

There are a number closer than Valley Power Systems.
https://www.yanmar.com/us/dealerloca...aler=us/210758
I've used PacWest for a number of years. Helpful group.
Where do you plan on keeping your boat? I got my 349 a couple months ago. Becoming very popular in San Diego all of a sudden.
Excited for you!
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 19:08   #20

Quote:
There are a number closer than Valley Power Systems.
https://www.yanmar.com/us/dealerloca...aler=us/210758
I've used PacWest for a number of years. Helpful group.
Where do you plan on keeping your boat? I got my 349 a couple months ago. Becoming very popular in San Diego all of a sudden.
Excited for you!
I see it now it was hiding under the filters. We’ve been talking on the Jeanneau forums actually (same user name). Glad to hear Archer has been treating you well!
Old 30-04-2021, 15:46   #21
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Question:
"Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just a reminder, the initial service should be carried out at 50 hours or after one month's service - whichever comes first."
Where do you see that in the owners manual. It says 50 hours in mine. The only item that is 50 hours or one month is checking battery.
I found it in the Yanmar 3YM20 Service Manual. I don't have an owners manual.

Additionally, it states the service items in the 50 hour/one month initial service are 'user-maintenance'.

I don't know if Yanmar accepts the wording in their service manual if they are looking for an out when denying any warranty claim...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3YM Service Manual.png
Views:	30
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	237558   Click image for larger version

Name:	3YM Servive Manual, 2.png
Views:	38
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	237559  

Name:	3YM Servive Manual, 3.png
Views:	36
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	237560  
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 00:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I found it in the Yanmar 3YM20 Service Manual. I don't have an owners manual.

Additionally, it states the service items in the 50 hour/one month initial service are 'user-maintenance'.

I don't know if Yanmar accepts the wording in their service manual if they are looking for an out when denying any warranty claim...
If you look at the warranty manual, they have all these slips for documenting services with stamps from authorized Yanmar dealers. If it’s just the first 50 and annuals I think I can handle that for some piece of mind.
Old 01-05-2021, 01:06   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
If you look at the warranty manual, they have all these slips for documenting services with stamps from authorized Yanmar dealers. If it’s just the first 50 and annuals I think I can handle that for some piece of mind.
Fair point - it's much harder for Yanmar to dodge warranty if all the services have their dealers stamps on them.

When push come to shove, I think it becomes country dependant. Some places have way better consumer protection laws than others. For instance, in Oz, if the work is carried by trained mechanic with "trade papers", then the manufacturer is required to honour warranty even though the work wasn't carried out by their mechanics.

I have seen this backfire though. A remote community power station had installed a state of the art V12 diesel fired generator. The community had decided to use their own tradesman to carry out the first service to save costs. At the first start after the service, the engine ran away and destroyed itself catastrophically.

The lawyers arrived in force on the next plane and much finger pointing began. Turns out the 'tradesman' had no formal diesel training and has accidentally disabled the governor during the service. None of the 'emergency' shut down procedures worked as the turbo seals failed within seconds of overspending and feed engine directly into the engine. Of course the tradesman was now in the sights for the blame but he dodged it fairly easily. At no point during his selection for the position had anyone asked for any diesel certification and he had never claimed any such experience. The employer's selection committee had assumed his outboard engine qualifications were sufficient! Expensive mistake.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, yanmar