Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 19:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31
Yanmar 3YM20 - Engine Oil API Service Category Question (+ Bonus Question)

Hi all,

First DYI oil change; quick question on engine oil service category.

According to Yanmar manual, 3YM20 engines require an oil that meets or exceeds API service categories CD, CF, CF-4, CI and CI-4. The manual also states to never use (among others) CH-4 service category oils.

Some people recommended I use Rotella T-4, which I understand is the successor to “Rotella Triple Protection”. However, when reading the specifications, Rotella T-4 includes also API service category CH-4, not allowed by Yanmar. See screenshots below from engine manual and Rotella specs.

Question(s):

1. Can I safely use Rotella T-4 on a 3YM20?

2. Bonus question [emoji12]: would I be able to use the same oil (Rotella T-4) also as gear oil in a Kanzaki KM2P-1? Specs for KM2P-1 require a mono-grade SAE 20/30 oil.

Thanks and fair winds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7604.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	249491

Name:	IMG_7605.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	249492
Old 08-12-2021, 05:26   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Yanmar 3YM20 - Engine Oil API Service Category Question (+ Bonus Question)

Jamme, my suspicion is that they meant don't use CH-4 ONLY oil, such as Mobil Delvac CH-4. That's a special service oil made for Tata engines.

No, I'd use a single weight in a gearbox. The only surprise there is that they specified such a low viscosity. Most gear oil is near 90 weight. Multiweight oils are made for large temperature changes - 10W-40 is as fluid as 10 weight when cold and as viscous as 40 weight when hot. That's not really the conditions of a gearbox.
Old 08-12-2021, 05:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Jamme, my suspicion is that they meant don't use CH-4 ONLY oil, such as Mobil Delvac CH-4. That's a special service oil made for Tata engines.

No, I'd use a single weight in a gearbox. The only surprise there is that they specified such a low viscosity. Most gear oil is near 90 weight. Multiweight oils are made for large temperature changes - 10W-40 is as fluid as 10 weight when cold and as viscous as 40 weight when hot. That's not really the conditions of a gearbox.

Thank you very much for the input. On the marine gear viscosity, apparently 90 is what they require on sail drive models (mine is not), see below.
Thanks again.

Name:	IMG_7608.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	310.0 KB
ID:	249511
Old 08-12-2021, 16:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I cannot understand why they ban CH-4 when this is from the API website, just saying, if in doubt follow the manual but I wonder if it's a mistake.

CH-4 Current Introduced in 1998. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4 oils.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 17:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
I cannot understand why they ban CH-4 when this is from the API website, just saying, if in doubt follow the manual but I wonder if it's a mistake.

CH-4 Current Introduced in 1998. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 1998 exhaust emission standards. CH-4 oils are specifically compounded for use with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, and CG-4 oils.

I agree! The maintenance manual seems more confusing each time I read it.
Thanks anyways.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:58   #6

Dear Jamme,

I'd actually, as an ex. Yanmar dealer, recommend Rotella T-6 0W-40 or 5W-40 from the Shell range these days. Both are synthetic and will give superb service. The little extra cost is well worth it and since we use low sulphur diesel in North America they are appropriate. I'd recommend changing at the recommended intervals or each year in the Fall, whichever comes first. Use the specified oil in the gearbox.
Fair winds...
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall leslie View Post
Dear Jamme,

I'd actually, as an ex. Yanmar dealer, recommend Rotella T-6 0W-40 or 5W-40 from the Shell range these days. Both are synthetic and will give superb service. The little extra cost is well worth it and since we use low sulphur diesel in North America they are appropriate. I'd recommend changing at the recommended intervals or each year in the Fall, whichever comes first. Use the specified oil in the gearbox.
Fair winds...

Thanks Niall, much appreciated.
Old 09-12-2021, 15:07   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I thought it was about engine oil does not gear box. The Rotella T's Ch 4 is probably just a
spec. that it is compatible with something calling for CH 4 in the viscosity range.
Use it in your engine.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 19:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I thought it was about engine oil does not gear box. The Rotella T's Ch 4 is probably just a
spec. that it is compatible with something calling for CH 4 in the viscosity range.
Use it in your engine.

Thanks Cadence.

Tags
engine, oil, service, yanmar