Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 17:23   #16

Re: Yanmar 3JH5E - difficult starting - advice please

That affect on rubber lines is probably due to Ethanol, not Kerosene. Kerosene (aka white gas) is closer to diesel in the refinery cracking process than gasoline and those rubber lines handle gasoline just fine. Alcohol is a different story... Automobiles, for example, cannot have any rubber seals, lines, o-rings etc. in fuel delivery systems on vehicles designed to run on E85. It's bad for aluminum parts as well.

To determine if ethanol is in the fuel: In tall narrow glass jar with a lid, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom. Fill with water to this line, then fill the jar to the top with fuel. Attach lid, agitate and let it stand. The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

Skip
sandiegoskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 17:36   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
Hi,

I have two Yanmar 3JH5E 39 hp motors on my cat. One of which is difficult to start, occasionally.

I prime each engine for 4 to 10 seconds before starting. .......
Thanks Brett
Brett, please help me to understand about what you mean by priming the engine before starting.

How do you prime your Yanmar engines?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 01:55   #18

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Chinese manufacturer of your fuel line???
It could have been Chinese fuel line ,,, it did have a SAE number ?

Maybe it could have been for a different type of fuel ,, my tub is a 1979 year .

At least it wasn`t Garden hose like i saw on one Yacht ,,, then again it did look better than my fuel line ,<<<<
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 02:00   #19

Boat: 32 contessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoskipper View Post
That affect on rubber lines is probably due to Ethanol, not Kerosene. Kerosene (aka white gas) is closer to diesel in the refinery cracking process than gasoline and those rubber lines handle gasoline just fine. Alcohol is a different story... Automobiles, for example, cannot have any rubber seals, lines, o-rings etc. in fuel delivery systems on vehicles designed to run on E85. It's bad for aluminum parts as well.

To determine if ethanol is in the fuel: In tall narrow glass jar with a lid, make a permanent line about two inches from the bottom. Fill with water to this line, then fill the jar to the top with fuel. Attach lid, agitate and let it stand. The ethanol and water will mix and separate out together. If the water level appears to have increased, the fuel contains ethanol and should not be used. Ethanol percentages of less than 5% can sometimes give a reading below the line. Therefore, any deviation in the water line indicates the presence of ethanol and should serve as a basis for rejecting the fuel.

Skip

This is a sample of what came out of my tank ,, I ended up removing the tank cleaning , new lines filters ,,, Never went back to Picknick Point Boat shed again ,,,

The boat shed closed down not long after ,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 8.58.31 pm.png
Views:	82
Size:	298.0 KB
ID:	162967  
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 04:08   #20

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

So your boat doesn't like neapolitan?
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 06:53   #21

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

If indeed an air leak you st least have an idea where to look. If air leak before the Racor filter then you would see a different pattern. Starting would be ok but filter would fill with air after running and then engine quit. Larger the leak the faster the time to shut down. If not loosing fuel in filter the leak likely after fuel filter.
Once that is made sure of then next idea would be to check the injector timing.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 11:37   #22

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

So I have started with the simple fix first. Have tightened each hose clamp on that engines fuel lines - less than a 1/4 turn per clamp. After tightening I had four normal starts throughout that day as opposed to previous day where four out of four starts were failed starts. I hope this problem was fixed so easily.

Wotname - when I say “prime” what I do is turn ignition on ( allowing electric fuel pump to run) for a few seconds, before engaging starter motor.

Again, thanks for everyone’s input.

Cheers Brett
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 00:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebs View Post
Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

So I have started with the simple fix first. Have tightened each hose clamp on that engines fuel lines - less than a 1/4 turn per clamp. After tightening I had four normal starts throughout that day as opposed to previous day where four out of four starts were failed starts. I hope this problem was fixed so easily.

Wotname - when I say “prime” what I do is turn ignition on ( allowing electric fuel pump to run) for a few seconds, before engaging starter motor.

Again, thanks for everyone’s input.

Cheers Brett
That sounds positive, easy fixes are always the best!

It would be interesting to know how well both engines start without using your priming action.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-01-2018, 01:28   #24

Boat: LAGOON 440

I experienced a similar issue with one of the Yanmar 3JH5E engines in my catamaran. It happened immediately after changing the fuel filters. It turned out that when changing the filters I had allowed some air into the fuel line. After about 12 problematic starts the issue went away. I hope yous does too.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 23:25   #25

So looks like my problem has been solved by changing fuel lines & hose clamps.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2018, 19:33   #26

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

I treat fuel lines as a consumable - if I suspect them of leaking enough to bother undoing the clamps I just replace them
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 01:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
If your engine runs fine once started, then the likelihood is that you have a fuel supply issue. Any air getting into the system in the fuel supply set-up will make an engine difficult to start. Pending the advice of those more knowledgeable than I, I would take a jerrycan of clean diesel and run a hose directly to the engine filter. Give the priming lever some pumps and then try to start it. If it starts O.K the problem is not with the engine. This way, you will narrow down whether the issue is with the fuel supply system or the engine itself.
hi,

would you know some workshop in the Carribean area, that can rebore and hone cylinder blocks of the engines 3JH5E in the topic?

regards,

Flo
florentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 01:17   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanderbucks View Post
If indeed an air leak you st least have an idea where to look. If air leak before the Racor filter then you would see a different pattern. Starting would be ok but filter would fill with air after running and then engine quit. Larger the leak the faster the time to shut down. If not loosing fuel in filter the leak likely after fuel filter.
Once that is made sure of then next idea would be to check the injector timing.
hi,

would you know some workshop in the Carribean area, that can rebore and hone cylinder blocks of the engines 3JH5E in the topic?

regards,

Flo
florentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 23:49   #29

Just an update for those that have been following this thread...

So after draining water separator, changing fuel lines & hose clamps, I found a loose banjo fitting on my water separator.

Problem hasn’t occured again, fingers crossed!

Hope this info helps someone...
Old 04-04-2018, 01:40   #30

^^ thanks for the update.

Tags
lease, yanmar