Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2014, 08:54   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Yanmar 3JH5CE engine whine noise?

Hi, I notice a high pitch noise from our new Yanmars, Starboard a little more annoying than Port, at high revs (2800-3000) Max revs is 3200 and we have been running them in as per the specs (first 10 hrs mostly at 2800, with occasional WOT for 1 minute, after that various revs, but mostly around 2800.)
Im not sure what the noise is. Maybe the blower? Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from, its almost like the start up alarm sound from tacho, and it may be coming from there, or from the engines themselves and occilating through the hull. Any ideas, theories, experiences much appreciated..
Engines have done around 20hrs each and saildrives are SD-60's
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 20:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.
Re: Yanmar 3JH5CE engine whine noise?

if you can post a video will be helpful

M.E
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 20:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hi, I notice a high pitch noise from our new Yanmars, Starboard a little more annoying than Port, at high revs (2800-3000) Max revs is 3200 and we have been running them in as per the specs (first 10 hrs mostly at 2800, with occasional WOT for 1 minute, after that various revs, but mostly around 2800.)
Im not sure what the noise is. Maybe the blower? Its hard to tell exactly where its coming from, its almost like the start up alarm sound from tacho, and it may be coming from there, or from the engines themselves and occilating through the hull. Any ideas, theories, experiences much appreciated..
Engines have done around 20hrs each and saildrives are SD-60's
Monte
Frequency - If the whining follows throttle it is likely not the blower or resonance from the hull.

variable frequency - ball and roller bearings and alternators are some of the suspects in variable frequency whining - remove the engine from gear and if whining stops the gearbox can be suspect. If whining continues it can be assumed to originate from engine or engine equipment.

Change alternator loads with engine speed constant - i.e. shut down powered systems. Changes in whine could indicate alternator bearings.

after isolating the above you are sorta down to basic engine equipment like water pumps, impeller pumps, injector pumps which all have ball and or roller bearings.

Once you get down to a certain level of isolation you may just be hearing a normal engine noise.

It would be good to be able to hear someone else's engine.

Also - did you have this boat before engine changes or is this all new. If you had before engine changes I presume you did not experience the whining.

PS - Are these turbo engines?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 22:31   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks , will try record the sound today. Boat and engines are new. Checked all fluid levels are OK.
Old 25-07-2014, 08:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Slipping belt? Is there excess belt dust around the front of the engine. You will have to take the front cover off in order to check.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2014, 08:59   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
PS - Are these turbo engines?
That would be too funny, I'd slip the belt off for just a few seconds to rule out the alternator, or use the screwdriver stethoscope trick
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 00:53   #7
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks guys, the sound is a bit like running your finger around a wine glass. I put my ear on the throttle controls and it seems to be comming from there. My guess is the cable is vibrating and singing at that pitch. In the engine bay is a few meters of excess coiled cable resting on the fibreglass hull. I will try move it a bit, maybe wrap some tape around where it touches the hull and see if that deadens the sound a bit. I made a vid but its hard to pick up the sound on it. I'll report back after todays sail
Old 03-10-2021, 16:29   #8

Boat: Rinker 24

Sounds silly and looks even sillier but a good tool for isolating noises is a meter or so of 5mm tubing and put one end in your ear then fish the other end around where you hear the noise, it is surprising how it can pinpoint the exact spot where the noise is loudest. For bearing noises or tapping sounds, a long screwdriver with the handle pressed to your ear can also be helpful. (just noticed A64Pilot also mentions this) Another trick for isolating belt noises is to either spray it with an oil or press a bar of soap to the belt. Either will temporarily change the noise or tone when done so, often even a noisey bearing on a pulley with change tone just a tiny bit when the belt gets lubed a tiny bit.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, noise, yanmar