Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 12:31   #1

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran
Yanmar 3gmf tools

i am purchasing a boat in Norfolk VA, and i live in Halifax NS, so i will be flying. i plan on bring her back on her own bottom and she has a Yanmar 3gmf engine. What tools should i bring with me on the airplane? i don't wanna not have what i need, but i wanna have the right sockets and end wrenches and other things i might need. Any suggestions? i have the owners manual and workshop manual downloaded on my laptop and have a pump for changing the oil and a fuel funnel to separate water from diesel.
thanks in advance
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:43   #2

Boat: Shannon 38 Cutter
Re: Yanmar 3gmf tools

I would suggest the following, in addition to the "normal" assortment of basic tools (metric sockets and wrenches) for engine service:
Metric flare nut wrenches for the injector line fittings. Most every other routine service or repair can be carried out with your basic set of tools, but I wouldn't put a regular wrench on an injector line fitting...

I've flown tools before and it's tough to get around the 7" max length restriction on carry-ons. If you are checking a bag, that opens things up quite a bit. You can get stubby ratchets to meet the requirement, though.
Mariner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 13:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

the red box of yanmar tools is really almost all you need, but the wrenches are a bit short. from memory its a combo screw driver, 10/13mm 17/19mm 22/24mm. a longer screw driver to help tension alternator belt and sometimes a 6/7mm to get the waterpump cover although some are philips
Old 02-08-2021, 13:18   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

10mm socket was my favorite for the 3GM.
Old 02-08-2021, 13:26   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Congrats on the new boat
I have 2 of the 3gm30f on my cat.
17 mm for injectors. 13mm is a common size elsewhere, as well as 15, 12, 6
But a full set of metric is useful. (I think I've needed 14mm too)
A small pry, or decent size flathead is useful for tensioning alternator and water pump.
A small strap wrench for the oil filter. It will also work for the water strainer
Phillip's for the bleedscrews, although I prefer the socket
Flathead (or small imperial sockets) for hose clamps. If it's a new to you boat, tighten or replace any suspect clamps now
If you are checking exhaust system too, channel locks are useful. Depends on the layout of your engine room.
My transmission oil dip and fill needs a tool to start unscrewing. Much like a grinder wrench, with the 2 pins. Ring clamp tool works as well
If there is any electrical issues, a good volt meter, crimper and terminals and heat shrink.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 14:54   #6

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Thanks guys this has been really helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
the red box of yanmar tools is really almost all you need, but the wrenches are a bit short. from memory its a combo screw driver, 10/13mm 17/19mm 22/24mm. a longer screw driver to help tension alternator belt and sometimes a 6/7mm to get the waterpump cover although some are philips
i didn't know that Yanmars came with a box of tools, i have texted the seller to see if it is still there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
17 mm for injectors. 13mm is a common size elsewhere, as well as 15, 12, 6
But a full set of metric is useful. (I think I've needed 14mm too)
A small pry, or decent size flathead is useful for tensioning alternator and water pump.
A small strap wrench for the oil filter. It will also work for the water strainer
Phillip's for the bleedscrews, although I prefer the socket
Flathead (or small imperial sockets) for hose clamps. If it's a new to you boat, tighten or replace any suspect clamps now
If you are checking exhaust system too, channel locks are useful. Depends on the layout of your engine room.
My transmission oil dip and fill needs a tool to start unscrewing. Much like a grinder wrench, with the 2 pins. Ring clamp tool works as well
If there is any electrical issues, a good volt meter, crimper and terminals and heat shrink.
Is the oil filter a screw on type?
Thanks, i would never have thot of a philips head screwdriver.
I that ring clamp tool in the red box?
i have a 5/16 nutdriver i like for hose clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner84 View Post
Metric flare nut wrenches for the injector line fittings. Most every other routine service or repair can be carried out with your basic set of tools, but I wouldn't put a regular wrench on an injector line fitting...
i never would have thot of this. Thanks

So lets see, a 6,7,10,12,13,14,15,17,19,22,24mm end wrenches
10mm socket, 3/8 ratchet
5/16 nutdriver, philips, flathead and big screwdrivers
Multimeter, crimper, terminals, heat shrink
Channel locks
jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:03   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Dripless packing gland or conventional?.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:17   #8

Boat: Shannon 38 Cutter

Ok, so not exactly in the category of Yanmar 3GM specific tools but...
I would seriously consider bringing a complete new spare fresh water pump assembly. Performing an at sea rebuild on an engine of unknown, unfamiliar history could be a real challenge. Especially under the added duress of bad weather.
Pricing for a new pump isn't terriblly much more than a rebuild kit and it's way quicker and easier. Especially if you end up with a stubborn or damaged shaft or broken impeller housing cover bolts or a worn or damaged housing.

And speaking of broken bolts, consider a cordless drill, drill index, a set of good EZ-outs and tap and die sets (metric and SAE) in the common sizes....even if you aren't faced with the admittedly unlikely event of a broken bolt or screw, the ability to chase and clean threads is a good thing.
Mariner84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:18   #9

I would also suggest a full maintenance package to be safe. Drive belt, impeller and gaskets, filters, some wire connectors and some lengths of wire.

Better to have and not need then need and not have.
TravelinLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 16:57   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Maaate whatever you end up needing will be the bit you didnt take.
Dont ask me how I know
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 17:46   #11

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Thanks guys this has been really helpful.

i didn't know that Yanmars came with a box of tools, i have texted the seller to see if it is still there....

Is the oil filter a screw on type?

Thanks, i would never have thot of a philips head screwdriver.

I that ring clamp tool in the red box?

i have a 5/16 nutdriver i like for hose clamps.

i never would have thot of this. Thanks

So lets see, a 6,7,10,12,13,14,15,17,19,22,24mm end wrenches

10mm socket, 3/8 ratchet

5/16 nutdriver, philips, flathead and big screwdrivers

Multimeter, crimper, terminals, heat shrink

Channel locks

jon
Oil filter is a screw on type. Should be in your manual
Snap ring tool... I have no idea if it's in the red tool kit. I never got one. I'm fourth owner, so I doubt it surived[emoji854]
I'll attach a pic of the tool I use for the transmission cap.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210802-184349_Chrome.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	243170
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 18:15   #12

Boat: Freedom 38

Some of my favs: a socket that fits the hose clamps, AeroKroil (ok, not a tool but absolutely essential) for loosening bolts, wrenches with extra long handles for the hard to reach spots, an exacto knife and gasket-making paper, and a pair of pliers with rubber on the grips to help in tightening the alternator belt.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 18:22   #13

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
i have a 5/16 nutdriver i like for hose clamps
That's it. I can never remember the name of this tool. The problem I faced is that my engine had two different sizes of hose clamps, which have all been converted over time.

BTW, that cute "tool kit" that came from Yanmar is too small for everything you will eventually need, but it's good for the things you'd want to have quickly at hand.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, yanmar