Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2022, 13:27   #1

Boat: Hunter Vision 32’
Yanmar 3gm30 Leakey Gasket

Hey guys, I replaced the manual fuel pump on the engine last year and itís leaking oil where itís installed ( between the pump and engine). I cleaned the surface and used the gasket that was supplied and not sure if I was supposed to use some kind of gasket glue or anything. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks.
Tyemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 14:43   #2

Boat: 1956 Bud McIntosh 36' schooner
Re: Yanmar 3gm30 Leakey Gasket

I haven't worked with this engine directly, and so would ask if there is a technical manual that covers this, but that being said....

Three points to consider:

1) Make sure the mating faces are clean. Both mating surfaces should be clean and relatively free of imperfections. Spray them down with a solvent such as break cleaner.

2) Is the pump housing aluminum or thin gauge metal?

Consider that previous over-torque of aluminum is a common way to warp items such as flanges, valve covers, etc. Often these items are over-tightened when leaks develop and this in turn warps the mating surfaces so the leak gets worse, then the gasket is replaced and lo! Still leaks. Any softer material like aluminum or thin metal is suspect. Check it with a straight edge and try to follow torque specs. If torque specs are unavailable, look them up based on the fastener characteristics, such as:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...c5KTaqrYLMdsUb

Note that lubrication of bolts reduces torque. Try not to exceed torque specs. I have a oiler that tightens till the wrench clicks and added a "bit more to be safe" ... bless his heart. This was a long paragraph because I see warped housings often from things like this, because then ideally you need a replacement whatever-it-is that doesn't seal.

3) Compensate for imperfections by changing the gasketing material or technique.

Is the gasket material paper? Is it thin? If the flange faces are imperfect or the housing is otherwise warped, you can probably get away from the manufacturer provided gasket. It is likely paper (because it has to resist oil). Thin gaskets allow higher pressures but fewer face imperfections. It's a design choice. The pump is probably low pressure. You could get some thicker paper, such as garlock, and cut your own gasket. Put it on the flange and tap with the ball end of a ball peen hammer. The gasket with almost make itself.

If all of this fails spread a THIN layer of permatex on the gasket (pump side) with a couple dots on the flange side to hold it in place. Position the gasket and let it set 15-20 minutes so the surface of the permatex solidifies, THEN complete assembly. This will make a proper gasket as opposed to squeezing out all of the gasket maker material upon compression.

Best of luck OP! [emoji1696]
thesaltytar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 15:13   #3

It can be a tricky little gasket to install but consider the possibility that the oil leak is from the oil feed line just behind the feed pump. Itís a thin steel tube and if the mixer elbow above happens to leak raw water, that tube will and does corrode and leak. [ATTACH]262683
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2874.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	262683  
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 13:48   #4

Boat: Hunter Vision 32’

So what I did was I bought some gasket material and made a new gasket. It seems to be working. Thanks for your input guys 🙂
Tyemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2022, 15:06   #5

Boat: TP52

It's a good idea to replace the bolts too. They can stretch over time with the constant tapping of the pump
RocketScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3gm, 3gm30, gasket, yanmar