Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2017, 00:07   #1

Yanmar 2tr16

Hi,
Can anybody help ? I am looking for manual engine Yanmar 2tr16 ?

Thanks.
Debeselis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:08   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Yanmar 2tr16

I've not met a Yanmar 2TR16.

I guess it's a two cylinder engine, water cooled, with vertical cylinders. Is that correct?

The engine should have one or two information plates, perhaps telling you where it was made and when (although sometimes only in code in the form of particular alphanumeric characters).

I think the T series started production in the mid-1970s.

T for Nihongo tatesui: sui, being a Chinese reading of the kanji meaning water (and more usually pronounced mizu); and tate for a kanji meaning upright or vertical (in contrast to horizontal cylinders).

But I suspect the T prefix may also have been used earlier for small engines not intended to be exported from Nippon.

How old is the engine? Marinised or not? Made for industrial, generator, or agricultural use.

Many (?most) T series engines were made for industrial use, some for agricultural use (small tractors and appliances used in rice farming).

One family, the TM family, were marine engines (and books.google.com has much of a manual for the TM family).

The Yanmar plant in Europe made many T series engines, including some of the TN family.

A Yanmar dealer, perhaps a Yanmar agricultural or Yanmar industrial dealer rather than a Yanmar marine dealer, should be able to help.

An internet search quickly turns up retailers claiming to sell manuals for T, TF, TN, etc engine families.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:53   #3

I have got an old sailboat with this motor. I didn't find any shield on the motor, ecept this one on the botom above the gearbox. It is 2 cylinder vertical in line engine. As i have found it's a small tractor engine model YM1600. There are some sites where its possible to buy manual for this name , but i am not sure is it really what i am looking for...
Debeselis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:55   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Do you have a photo of (or just details of what is inscribed on) that plate?

YM engines, with descriptions such as YM1500 (in 1974), YM2210 (1976) etc, were tractor engines, as you describe.

I think the GM engine series, launched in the early 1980s, owes much to the YM tractor engines.

The 1970s were busy times for Yanmar. The Japanese fishing fleet had been converted to engines and the 200 nautical mile fishing zone (later called exclusive economic zone) meant a big market for marinised engines.

Yanmar started exporting engines for sailboats in the early 1970s. And was exporting around 10,000 yacht auxiliary engines a year by about 1983.

Tags
yanmar