sorry for the late reply & thanks again for all the very helpful comments and suggestions.
As I've said, the engine is running again, it's starting without any hassle every time now. :-)
The problem in my case was simply, that all fuel hoses had been mounted too loose, so the engine could not bee bleed throughly.
The issue with the Dripless shaft seal
:-) Haha guess what I didn't haul the boat...
I googled around a lot beforehand, and found at least some examples of people that exchanged their shaft seal while still IN the water.
I took some photos for reference:
It actually was quite easy, but getting all stuff sorted out and have everything on hand is crucial :-) Also very important to have your shaft and shaft tube diameter measured VERY exactly!
Steps I took:
1.) Unmount the shaft coupling from the gear
2.) Loosen the shaft hose clamp of the old seal, so I could slide out the shaft further. (I did this until the prop touched my rudder) A slight amount of water to entered, but not even enough for the bilge pump
to kick in.
3.) I was lucky that my shaft coupling was a split-style, the ones that simply clamp to the shaft (see photo) And so it was quite easy to remove :-) The locking screw (Allen key) was so rusted, that it broke when I first attempted to unscrew, but could pull her with a bolt pulling tool.
4.) I got all the new shaft seal parts
in place (PSS dripless shaft seal) and also arranged all tools I might need for the process, to be easily and quick to reach.
5.) I loosened up all hose clamps, that secured the old seal to the hull
and the shaft. Then pulled the seal off its hull
mount (towards the engine) and off the shaft.
6.) The amount of water gushing in now was FRIGHTENING :-) Bilge
pump kicked in immediately. I wrapped an old towel around the shaft and pushed it towards the hole, to minimize the water influx. (I have a very deep bilge
, but it filled up about 1/2 in no time, the pump wasn't able to keep up)
7.) With one hand holding the towel in place, I took the rubber part of the PSS seal and put it in place on the shaft, same with the SS ring that is supposed to sit on the shaft and to push on the rubber part.
8.) I released the towel and quickly pushed the rubber part in place, then compressed it against the hull with the SS ring.
9.) Step by step I pulled the shaft inside the hull again, reattached the coupling to the gear
box... Done! :-)
I poured two fingers rum
extra... but I did it.