Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2011, 10:37   #1

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Yanmar 2qm20 - Has Anyone Reconditioned the Injector Pump ?

hi i have a venerable 30 year old yanmar 2qm20 which plugs along with rare complaint for something so old - i'm wondering if anyone with a similiar engine has needed to recondition the injector pump? I just replaced the primer pump, found some new nozzles in new zealand but havent needed to fit them, and i'm wondering whether to reco the injector pump before it goes wobbly.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 11:47   #2

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: yanmar 2qm20 - anyone recond. injector pump?

I have a Volvo MD7A. About the same age. May have the same injector pump? (Lucas CAV). The sign that it needed to be rebuilt was that it started leaking diesel fuel from a couple of the seals. However, after it was rebuilt, the engine purrs like a kitten and starts better. And the rebuilder said the pump was really in pretty good condition before he started.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 15:19   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33 NAKIA
Send a message via Yahoo to svnakia Send a message via Skype™ to svnakia
Re: Yanmar 2qm20 - Has Anyone Reconditioned the Injector Pump ?

I have a 3QM30 with 5500 hrs. A few years ago the injection pump was leaking diesel so I took it to a local shop (in Mexico) to have it worked on. I told them not to take it apart, just to replace the 'O' Rings that were leaking.

Unfortunately, the translation didn't go over and they pulled the whole thing apart. They couldn't get parts, so I had a friend hand carry a set of seals, barrels/plungers and delivery valves down from the US. Cost on the parts was about $500 USD. The lab (if you can call it that) put it back together and it ran well enough. Later in Hawaii I had it checked out and they said it was pretty tight, so the Mexico guys did a reasonable job.

The injection pump on the 2QM is very similar to the 3QM (it has the same parts, but two plungers instead of three). I'm not a mechanic, but if I were you and I suspected the injection pump had a problem I'd have it tested first. This will run you about $100-$150 USD depending on who does it and they will tell you if it needs to be worked on. A lab that can do the testing can probably handle the rebuild too. The rebuild is not something to do yourself.

Good luck!
Old 04-03-2013, 12:32   #4

Try hoye tractor, YM2000 injection pump is the same as the one on 2QM20 from october 1975 and forward.
Michael
mjhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 15:54   #5

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhansen View Post
Try hoye tractor, YM2000 injection pump is the same as the one on 2QM20 from october 1975 and forward.
Michael
thanks, I'll have a sniff around on that...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 12:55   #6

Bumping the thread, I have a 2QM20 with a bad injection pump. Has anyone tried to swap the YM2000 pump yet?

Shane
hfranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 15:45   #7

Just one more update, thanks Michael (mjhansen) for the following

"I am using a Ym2000 pump on my 2qm20, you have to make 2 small things to make it work. The hole on top off the govenor tap which is used to put the hairpin lock in, is drilled perpendicular to the engine, you have to drill a new hole. The distance washer under the arm coming from the regulator, you have to cut approximately 1mm off.
I have to mention that my engine is from late seventies, no banjoes. If you have a banjo style pump, please look at Hoy tractor website, they might help."

This worked like a charm. I did not drill a new hole, but I was able to get the hairpin on and it did not have any interference at all. You do need the new lines from Hoye tractor. I got the pump and both lines shipped for $550.00. Splashing the the boat in 2 weeks.

Thanks again Michael.

Shane
hfranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2qm20, injector pump, reconditioned, yanmar