Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2022, 15:09   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Yanmar 2GM20 throttle and shifter push or pull?

Title says it all. I’m changing from wheel to tiller and I need to add an engine control in (a sweet looking Vestus). While removing the pedestal I lost track of where the controls were at relative to the cables. Can anyone advise me on how to hook them up? I’m sure I could figure it out but I don’t have much time to do the switch this weekend snd it needs to be planned like a (non-Russian) military operation.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2022, 17:12   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 throttle and shifter push or pull?

I'm not entirely if I know what you re asking but maybe the following will help.

Throttle - the speed regulator lever on the engine moves aft to increase RPM. This is normally actioned by pulling on the engine mounted lever.
Gear shift -when the shift lever on the transmission is moved to the propeller side, forward motion is engaged; when it is moved towards the engine side, astern motion is engaged. Forward motion is normally achieved by pushing on the transmission mounted lever.

The cockpit control unit will have (or should have) the mechanics to move either cable in either direction as the final arrangement will depend on which side of the cockpit the unit is mounted.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, rot, yanmar