Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2019, 03:31   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Think about it if timing is off flow is too early or too late on both cylinders. One cylinder's flow off can be a single cylinder pump adapter's incorrect torque adjustment. At 2000 rpm trip one compression release at a time to isolate the cylinder. Then adjust adapter torque to reach best matching rpm fuel.
Thanks Richard, but what do you mean by "adjust adapter torque" what adapter are you referring to and what torque setting do you mean.
Thanks again
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 03:34   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Just wondering, you did drain , clean the tank, fuel filters and are using fresh new diesel fuel?
Yes absolutely. Tank was cleaned out and emptied, lines blown through, new fuel and filters throughout. The boat was on the hard for over 8 years with both engines ceased up, the one im working on had a head gasket failure from overheating and was left to sit in that position. amazing how some people just don't care.
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 03:39   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Is the 2GM fitted with a higher output alternator and/or a smart regulator? Even the original hitachi alternator will create a lot of load at low rpm if the regulator fails and the result can be slow acceleration and black smoke . To prove or disprove this possibility just remove or loosen the belt and run the engine briefly. The coolant circulating pump will not be working so you have about a minute or two to complete the test before the temp starts to climb.
The alternator on there is charging at 14.10 volts, at least that was what I saw on the voltmeter when I was testing her. That was just a quick glance so its possible the alternator has an issue but at the time of testing I wasn't paying much attention.
I saw 14.something and figured it was working. it is a 60 amp alternator they have on there but the batteries are fully charged because the battery charger is running.
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 16:23   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Just an update on the issue for those helping me out..... Today I ran the engine again (its a slow process because I need another person to spray water into the raw water strainer).

The engine nailed a bit for the first 10 seconds and then settled down. I have discovered the small fuel filter that is mounted on the heat exchanger had some crap in it, I am now wondering if that is causing a fuel starvation. So tomorrow I will hunt for the filer element and try again. Failing that I will get that injector pump calibrated professionally.

Will keep y'all updated
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:04   #20
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Posts: 2,426
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Cheers for update,
hope it's just your filter. If your rack mark is right & i know you said you got it right It should be injecting the right amount of fuel.
Did you check the timing? I would do that before taking pump in for testing.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:41   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Cheers for update,
hope it's just your filter. If your rack mark is right & i know you said you got it right It should be injecting the right amount of fuel.
Did you check the timing? I would do that before taking pump in for testing.
Yes I am 100% sure the rack was correct when building the pump, the little red marks make it quite straightforward thankfully.

I will take your advice and slacken off the pump slightly if this doesn't work, but I will keep the thread updated.

These small engines are amazing, so robust
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:44   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Boat: C&C
Posts: 270
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

You did say that you did drain, clean the tank, new fuel filters c/w new fuel and yet you discovered "some crap in it". Now you've got to wonder where it came from and how it was missed? Is there more somewhere? I assume you seen the bottom of the tank when you pumped out all the old diesel? Blowing the lines only proves they're not blocked, there still could be lots of gunk in there after 8 years of sitting. Are they metal or flexible lines? Were the pre filters [raycors or whatever] dirty also? It usually is a short distance from them to the small filter on the engine. If the pre filters are clean then I would take off the line from them to the small filter and blow them out, spray some brake fluid in it first to loosen any gunk, then blow them out into a rag and see if you catch crap. Then replace and start her up with a new filter again.I wouldn't be spending money on the pump yet especially since it seems to start easily for you. Eliminate the simple thinks first.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 17:52   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
You did say that you did drain, clean the tank, new fuel filters c/w new fuel and yet you discovered "some crap in it". Now you've got to wonder where it came from and how it was missed? Is there more somewhere? I assume you seen the bottom of the tank when you pumped out all the old diesel? Blowing the lines only proves they're not blocked, there still could be lots of gunk in there after 8 years of sitting. Are they metal or flexible lines? Were the pre filters [raycors or whatever] dirty also? It usually is a short distance from them to the small filter on the engine. If the pre filters are clean then I would take off the line from them to the small filter and blow them out, spray some brake fluid in it first to loosen any gunk, then blow them out into a rag and see if you catch crap. Then replace and start her up with a new filter again.I wouldn't be spending money on the pump yet especially since it seems to start easily for you. Eliminate the simple thinks first.
Absolutely, I should clarify.

The tanks were completely empty when I got the boat, I used a USB camera to learn this. The tank is not massive so easy to see.
The pre-filters (racor style) were horrible so I striped them completely, degreased and pressure washed all the tiny parts before them back together with new filters. The lines are all flexible fuel lines upto the small yanmar filter where it becomes a short braided hose. I use a scuba tank to blow them through.

The small yanmar filter had a bit of crap in the tube that goes to the steel braided flexible hose to the injector pump. the part of the housing at the top. That outlet was partially blocked and is where I found the crap.

Maybe there has been a restriction in the flow, I kinda hope so. Will let ya know
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 19:03   #24
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Posts: 2,426
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken pete View Post
Yes I am 100% sure the rack was correct when building the pump, the little red marks make it quite straightforward thankfully.

I will take your advice and slacken off the pump slightly if this doesn't work, but I will keep the thread updated.

These small engines are amazing, so robust
No I didn't say slacken off the pump ( unless you mean blame wise). I asked if you had checked the timing? Follow the workshop manuals instructions

Yes you want to check the simple stuff first before blaming the pump. If you take it into injection specialist you could find they want to rebuild yr rebuilt pump. Just trying to help you save money.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 19:58   #25
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: C.L.O.D.
Posts: 12,795
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken pete View Post
Thanks Richard, but what do you mean by "adjust adapter torque" what adapter are you referring to and what torque setting do you mean.
Thanks again
I note Richard hasn't gotten back to you yet; I believe he is referring to the adapters at the top of the injection pump (circled in red on photo of my previous 2GM20). Depending how much you tightened the adapter, it has a small effect of timing or so I'm told. However I can't vouch for the veracity of this claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2GM20 IP 2.png
Views:	84
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	200874  
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 836
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

The circled part in the photo is the delivery valve holder and has only one torque setting ( tight) however, if the injection timing needs to be checked or adjusted , the delivery valve inside this fitting needs to be removed to ascertain the precise point of injection by indicating spill cutoff. Best to read the manual for the full procedure and get a clear idea of how to go about it.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:09   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,277
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Has the bottom and running gear been cleaned?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:23   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 27
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Has the bottom and running gear been cleaned?
Are you referring to the bottom end of the injector pump? If so, yes, the pump was stripped apart completely, every part cleaned and checked before re-assembly.
broken pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 14:12   #29
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Auckland, NZ
Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Posts: 2,426
Re: Yanmar 2GM20 Injector pump delivery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken pete View Post
Are you referring to the bottom end of the injector pump? If so, yes, the pump was stripped apart completely, every part cleaned and checked before re-assembly.
I Think he means the boats bottom & propellor as that can cause those symptoms
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, delivery, injector pump, pump, yanmar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yanmar 2GM20 Lift Pump - Help! Wotname Engines and Propulsion Systems 22 17-11-2019 18:31
Yanmar 2GM20 v 2GM20 (YEU) engines - Surprise with "E" serial numbers. Wotname Engines and Propulsion Systems 16 31-07-2015 01:02
injector pump problem Gotcha Covered Engines and Propulsion Systems 2 06-10-2014 07:58
Fuel Delivery and Injector Pump casual Engines and Propulsion Systems 4 19-11-2011 12:20

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:08.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.