Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2022, 20:46   #1

Yanmar 20 Hp salt water cooled

Hi lookng at a cat with 2 Yanmar 20 Hp salt water cooled motors anodes have been taken out and look OK they were drained and been sitting for 3 years what do you think is it likely a problem the motors are 25 years old done 4000 hrs and 3500 hrs. What should I be looking for I have been told they were running fine before hall out and were flushed with fresh water.
Appreciate you input.
rustyrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 18:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar 20 Hp salt water cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrusty View Post
Hi lookng at a cat with 2 Yanmar 20 Hp salt water cooled motors anodes have been taken out and look OK they were drained and been sitting for 3 years what do you think is it likely a problem the motors are 25 years old done 4000 hrs and 3500 hrs. What should I be looking for I have been told they were running fine before hall out and were flushed with fresh water.
Appreciate you input.
What model Yanmars are they?
Salt water cooled is not a problem in itself IF THE ANODES WERE MAINTAINED all its life
I would want to look at the cooling galleries, maybe take thermostat out for a quick look. Scrape the white crystal off & see how the base metal is. A bit of rust is normal but deep pitting is a red flag
We have a 1980 salt water cooled Yanmar engine & its fine internally.
Exhaust elbows can be an issue.
Anyone can say they were running fine before being taken out but I'd do a compression test if possible or a test run. Its a gamble without that.
Yanmar genuine parts are horribly expensive if you are not aware already, be warned.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 04:42   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Funny thing is a lot of Yanmar engines are tractor motors. Guess who won’t pay marine pricing for tractor parts.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 04:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Don't pay $435 for a starter Yanmar kept on the shelf for ten years when it's a $74 starter from Amazon.

Yanmar:
https://discountmarinesource.com/sto...oduct_id=96226

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-S114-...765LZHLH&psc=1
Old 15-04-2022, 15:20   #5
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Funny thing is a lot of Yanmar engines are tractor motors. Guess who won’t pay marine pricing for tractor parts.
That was why I asked OP what model Yanmars they are, could steer him in the right direction maybe.
Old 15-04-2022, 15:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Don't pay $435 for a starter Yanmar kept on the shelf for ten years when it's a $74 starter from Amazon.

Yanmar:
https://discountmarinesource.com/sto...oduct_id=96226

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-S114-...765LZHLH&psc=1
That Amazon starter you quoted may be fine but if you buy an Ebay starter for a YS series Yanmar some of them come without an oil seal. This causes gearbox oil to leak into the starter motor. Dont take my word for it, check with ATcowboy if you dont believe me. You may think you are moderating my post as a way of making it unbiased ( if it was you) but in this case there was a good reason backed up by experience for my statement. I dont sell starters FYI. Maybe I should have explained it better.
Old 16-04-2022, 16:53   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
That Amazon starter you quoted may be fine but if you buy an Ebay starter for a YS series Yanmar some of them come without an oil seal. This causes gearbox oil to leak into the starter motor. Dont take my word for it, check with ATcowboy if you dont believe me. You may think you are moderating my post as a way of making it unbiased ( if it was you) but in this case there was a good reason backed up by experience for my statement. I dont sell starters FYI. Maybe I should have explained it better.
Apologies to tkeithlu. I got confused btwn 2 threads & thought you had moderated my post. Forgive my senior moment as only my brain needs moderating
Old 16-04-2022, 17:15   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I hate senior moments. What we’re we talking about?
I swore off cast iron engines car and bikes. Put my first aluminum Donavan blocks to replace a pair of iron 454’s in a 370 Sea Ray.
Now I have this cute little diesel. . I have a hard time trusting the Internet not to send me a facade from China. Amazon and eBay seem overwhelmed in Asian copies. I’m completely unfamiliar with Yanmar but I’m impressed with them. I’d love to take a course on the common rail.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, water, yanmar