Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2011, 13:55   #1

Yanmar 1GM10 Engine Mounts

I am in need of replacing my 1gm10 mounts. The OEM mounts seem very pricy and of poor quality. I am looking at the Bushings Inc DF-2205-2 , the polymax whatever they are and the PYIINC 800-37y mounts. Has anybody had experience with any of these puppies? I really dont wantr to drop over 400 clams on OEM. The motor sits in a 27 foot Jeanneau.
Thnks
tekwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:53   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Yanmar 1GM10 Engine Mounts

Be advised that the Yanmar Mounts ameliorate some of the vibration that a one lunger has. As long as you don't mind the vibration/noise of a "harder" engine mount tansmitting thu the hull/cabin....go 4 it
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:59   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

And the mounts from PYI are in the $130 each bracket.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:27   #4

I am resurrecting this thread because sailing friend of mine questioned my motor mounts last night. They have no rubber on them and the vibbration transfers directly to the hull. Do these look normal, or Ian the rubber bushings in fact missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1048.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	142898  
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:03   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

There's rubber or something similar in there. Probably.

Take a look while the engine is running and I believe you will see some movement.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07   #6

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I am resurrecting this thread because sailing friend of mine questioned my motor mounts last night. They have no rubber on them and the vibration transfers directly to the hull. Do these look normal, or Ian the rubber bushings in fact missing?
TooCoys, looking at a video that the marine surveyor sent me of engine testing (I haven't actually been onboard my boat yet, that's next month when I repatriate) and my 1GM appears to have rubberized mounts. Whether or not they are OEM or not, I couldn't tell you. However, looking at the amount of engine vibration on a good running engine with just 600 hours on it, I can't help but think that all of that vibration being transmitted to the hull would certainly not be a good thing.

FWIW, if you can get the specs on the OEM mounts, stud size and type of rubber used, one can use virtually any motor mount that comes close to the OEM specifications (with a little modification on the mounting of course),
whether they are used mounts out of an old beater at the junkyard or a Greyhound bus.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:21   #7

Last Spring I installed a 2QM15 in place of 11hp Universal. The old Yanmar mounts were OK except the rubber was very hard and probably would not work well as intended. So I got some used but more recent mounts from the yard and they are fine.

On your pic look under the washer which sits on top of the black part. That part I believe is the rubber. It may not feel as such and more like bakelite plastic or some such which means it hardened with age. Just look for matching used but not too old mounts and you'd be OK. Private sellers usually still want an arm and a leg for them but you can score them either from craigslist or boat yards for about $100-$150 for a set.

I forget now if the rubber inserts were replaceable or baked in place but I was doing the install with the help of my marine pro friend who recommended getting a used set he checked out and OK'd before I installed it. Initially we were planning to use the Universal mounts as they were newish looking and intact but suprisingly their bolts were of a much larger diameter and the Yanmar legs were not "meaty" enough to drill out. I also still have old mounts from Volvo MD5A I took off my first boat but these were also with bolts too big for the Yanmar. So much for Yanmar "ruggedness".

According to my friend I could've used any mounts with same bolt diameter as long as they were a matching set. But even if they're not all are adjustable (to a point) to level them off as needed. It is basically as bulb sockets are the same but some bulbs are just too large for the fixture they're going in. You learn a lot when you deal with a pro who is not interested in draining your boat repair account.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:32   #8

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

These are rubber mounts and look exactly like my Mercruiser v8 mounts on my other boat. They are good
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:37   #9

Every Yanmar engine has specific engine mounts recommended by the manufacturer. They may all look the same, but they have different "weight" rubber (and a number embossed on the side).

First you have to get the correct mounts, and install them on the correct side of the engine. One side usually has a different weight than the other due to rotation and shaft torque.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:41   #10

Well right now the engine noise and hull vibration is deafening. By comparison, our friends Volvo Penta diesel in their '36 Jouet is nearly undetectable. Maybe it's just my boat and engine.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:47   #11

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Those are rubber mounts, but lack the amount of deflection built into the oem yanmar mounts. You may consider changing the mounts for some with greater "give".
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:06   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Well right now the engine noise and hull vibration is deafening. By comparison, our friends Volvo Penta diesel in their '36 Jouet is nearly undetectable. Maybe it's just my boat and engine.
Those one cylinders really jump around. Never seem to sit still at any RPM.

The original Yanmar mounts are better suited for this than the ones you have.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:14   #13

Quote:
I am resurrecting this thread because sailing friend of mine questioned my motor mounts last night. They have no rubber on them and the vibbration transfers directly to the hull. Do these look normal, or Ian the rubber bushings in fact missing?
Those are rubber filled. There are many mounts around, they all have weight ratings.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 14:24   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
The mounts picture are not Yanmar GM series mounts. The Yanmar ones have a much larger amount of "rubber" incorporated in the mount. If you grab the top of the engine you will be able to move it sideways maybe a quarter to a half an inch with a good shove if you have Yanmar mounts.

While there many after mounts available, these people ( Poly Flex Group - Advanced Polymer Technology for Vibration Control - Y Series ) make direct replacement mounts for many applications including Yanmar. Their Y series mounts are all for Yanmar and I understand that several Yanmar dealers in Europe fit the Polyflex mounts in lieu of Yanmar mounts even when suppling new engines.

One issue with the Yanmar mount is that they are not rated to hold the engine in place when inverted and given they are vulcanised they are unlikely to secure the engine in place when they age even in a serious knock down.

The Polyflex mounts are will support the engine inverted and even when they age.

I have no affiliation with Polyflex and have not fitted these mounts myself but they will be on the shopping list when the time comes to replace my original mounts.

I understand they are available in the USA though Thermoboat.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:34   #15

The 1GM is never going to be silent, but it shouldn't be deafening either. I suspect the Volvo engine in your friend's 36' boat has more than one cylinder, so it's probably not an equal comparison.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, engine, yanmar