Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2018, 06:48   #16

Boat: Valiant 40
Yamaha 5hp outboard gear repair?

Guys. Buy an aftermarket repair manual for your engine. Full of illustrations, diagnostic steps, maintenance info etc. With one of the Seloc ones you can repair just about any issue yourself.

The OP doesn’t even mention what year the motor is and we can’t give him every piece of info he needs. For example if he drops the lower unit and does not have it in reverse when he does so he’s gonna have a really hard time getting the shift linkage right when he puts it back together. There are lots of little details like that which can frustrate someone working off generalized advice.

Get the manual. Makes it easy to work smarter not harder.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4891.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	178966
Old 15-10-2018, 09:02   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Yamaha 5hp outboard gear repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Guys. Buy an aftermarket repair manual for your engine. Full of illustrations, diagnostic steps, maintenance info etc. With one of the Seloc ones you can repair just about any issue yourself.

The OP doesn’t even mention what year the motor is and we can’t give him every piece of info he needs. For example if he drops the lower unit and does not have it in reverse when he does so he’s gonna have a really hard time getting the shift linkage right when he puts it back together. There are lots of little details like that which can frustrate someone working off generalized advice.

Get the manual. Makes it easy to work smarter not harder.

Attachment 178966
I guess, it is from 2014, a 4 stroke.
Old 22-10-2018, 03:08   #18

Hi there,

I found the service manual online for the Yamaha engine.

Finally I managed to disassemble the power head from the trunk and the enclosure, but still struggle to pull the gear lever out of the bushing. I am fighting it since the weekend. It moves on force with a wrench, but I cannot pull it out, even with brute force. I used a screw and nut plus a bar and some spacer against the housing o imply pulling pressure, almost wrecked the nut, but no success. It really sticks very tight.

Any idea how to get this damn thing out? Maybe heating up the lever shaft or the housing?
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 04:20   #19

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Have you checked the oil in the lower unit? Is it clear or milky or coffee colored?

If the shift rod, called the shift cam assembly, 53 in the drawing below
doesn't move fairly freely, I would guess the shift dog, item 44 is sticking on the prop shaft for some reason. Does the prop spin freely, in or out of gear?

As for removing the shift rod, it appears to be held in only by the shift rod boot, item 54 (hidden by the copyright mark), which seems only to be held in by a push/interference fit in the housing. It should be able to be pried out; if you damage it, it is available separately. After you get that out it looks like the, shift rod should pull straight out. Be careful though, because sometimes lining everything back up after you remove it can be a bear...

I am assuming the rod twists to shift. If it does so easily, I'd guess the problem is further up in the powerhead or midsection somewhere.

jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 05:44   #20

No, the lower unit is just fine, the rod and the gear are moving quite OK, I have disconnected them.from the lever / handle.

It is the handle itself with the plastic lever outside, that sticks in the aluminum housing and barely moves.

There is this item called shift link lever, that stuck into the bushing and cannot be pulled out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	879
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	179499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	179500  

Old 23-10-2018, 06:30   #21

We're looking at different parts breakdowns, but the parts look similar enough.

The catalog I'm looking at is for a 5MSHA. Item 25, the shift arm is held in by the bolt 34, that holds on the shift lever 33. This is probably the same method that your arm is held in by. If you can't remove it after removing bolt 34, it is likely just stuck and needs to be worked out with a combination of some kind of spray lubricant and working it back and forth.

Heat would be a method of last resort for me here.

Old 23-10-2018, 06:36   #22

Oops, didn't notice it, in your breakdown the shift arm 7 is held in by the bolt 11 which also holds on shift lever 12.

Old 23-10-2018, 07:06   #23

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

As mentioned make sure everything is loose on the other side. If it is your best bet is to hit it with some penetrating oil (PB blaster etc) let it sit then try it again. You might see if you can hit it with a dead-blow hammer. Sometimes shocking it will break up corrosion that's binding it.
Old 23-10-2018, 07:48   #24

It moves, but does not come out. Seems bushing 30 is expanded and squeezing the lever 7, I could pull it about 2mm with a bar and a screw into the back of it (where screw 2 is places usually).

I have dismantled everything around (Parts 1,2,3 from the handle, ball 9, spring 10, Bolt 11, Bracket 12, washer 13, split pin 14...)

It (Part 7) only sticks very stiff in the bushing.
Old 23-10-2018, 08:40   #25

Likely the arm 7 is aluminum, has corroded, and the aluminum that has oxidized has, in its' expansion tightened the fit in the bushing and housing. You might try 'lubricating' it with a mild acid like CLR or something similar and working it back and forth at the same time. A hammer might come in handy it you can't get it much looser. Once you get it out clean bore and arm with sandpaper and reinstall with plenty of grease...
Old 23-10-2018, 09:04   #26

No part 7 is steel, but not hardened. It shows no corrosion it is clean inside and outside, the housing is cast aluminum, but also not corroded.

The nipple 32 is not there, they have omitted it, so it is not possible to lubricate the bushing inside. Very likely the bushing has an issue.
Old 23-10-2018, 09:14   #27

So you've gotten it out?
Old 23-10-2018, 09:58   #28

no, not yet, still trying...

Tags
gear, outboard