Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 06:40   #46

Boat: Valiant V40
Re: Would you ever consider buying a boat with a Volvo Penta 2003 or 2003T engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I know it's possible but I'm not sure about the not difficult part. Regarding the turbo when I tried to get mine rebuilt they said it couldn't be done & I have not been able to find an after market replacement. Luckily I was able to buy a donor motor with a good turbo although it had also had the oil cooler dissolve which was why it was replaced.

Can you post pictures of your modifications to the cooling system?
I'll have to look, but the boat is in La Paz, and I'm not ...

However, here is what I did:

1. Purchase a new HX and Oil Cooler. I used Lenco (in FLA).

2. Mount both off engine. Mine are on a nearby bulkhead.

3. Remove the coolant (not raw water) pump and tap the main return boss for a 1/2" NPT. Install a steel (NOT brass) hose nipple to fit the hose of the heat exchanger. Run a hose from here to the HX.

4. Cut the T-shaped pipe that runs T-stat to turbo and HX. Cut the leg going to the HX near the HX end. Run a hose from here to the HX.

(3 & 4 complete the coolant side of the HX.)

5. Run hose from anti-siphon to HX.

6. Run hose from the HX to the OC

7. Cut the tube for raw water from the OC to the exhaust elbow. Run a hose from here to the OC.

(5 to 7 completes the raw water circuit.)

8. Use new banjo fittings and connect the new lines to the OC.

Re the turbo:

It is an IHI turbo. Don't have the model number handy, but I was able to get mine professionally rebuild locally in La Paz, Mexico, in 2 days. They had the parts in stock.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:07   #47

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch
Re: Would you ever consider buying a boat with a Volvo Penta 2003 or 2003T engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Seems like the Volvo Penta 2003 & 2003T engine is prevalent on many of the boats that I'm considering purchasing.

I've read horror stories from some owners, and diesel mechanics-at least online. Comments like, "run away", "worst engine they ever made", "outrageous replacement parts prices", or "Volvo outsourced components, cheap junk" are prevalent.

Does anyone have any much experience with these engines? And to my question, would you avoid buying a boat you liked for many other reasons, just because of the 2003 or 2003T engine?

Should I just move on? Help!
I had a 2003T. Very good engine, no problems at all, except I had to change the spline plate because of worn splines. Well known problem, cheap to fix. But, yes, replacement parts for Volvo are not the cheapest.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:14   #48

Boat: 73ŽULDB custom ketch

Just the fact that the newest of these are 25 years old now, and still going strong shows that they are not bad engines. I wonder how many modern engines will have this life span?
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:31   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
Just the fact that the newest of these are 25 years old now, and still going strong shows that they are not bad engines. I wonder how many modern engines will have this life span?
Well there are many Yanmar 3GM of that era still running fine.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, engine, penta, volvo