Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 17:56   #1

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Wiring Electric Fuel Pump into Volvo D1-30

Hi from Tonga:

We continue our circumnavigation despite the best efforts of our port engine to leave us driving in circles. This time I think it's the fuel pump that seems to lack the power to pull the fuel up -- I had the same issue on my starboard engine, and in addition to replacing the mechanical pump, I'm going to install an electric pump between the primary and secondary fuel filters to keep the fuel flowing no matter what.

Ideally, I'd be able to wire it into something that is only powered when the engine is running ... but the Volvo D1-30 I have does not have a dedicated ignition key -- the battery runs through the main switch to an EVC -- Electronic Vessel Control -- panel, which has on/off, start, stop, and alarm acknowledgment buttons. I press the on/off, and that enables the start button. When I stop the engine, I also then have to press the on/off button to put the EVC back to sleep (I leave the main switch on; it's tough to access).

The wiring harness from the EVC is six wires, and I'm loathe to break it open since I'm afraid that I'll miss something that may be embedded in the circuitry inside the EVC.

Any ideas of how to wire this fuel pump? I would prefer not installing a stand-alone switch for it -- much prefer an approach that relies only on the existing EVC electronics.

Many thanks to all.

/jon
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 18:25   #2

Do not cut into an EVC harness. You'll gain nothing. It's a 5v communication bus similar in theory to Cat5.

You should have an accessory relay available at the main station.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 19:11   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglauds View Post
Hi from Tonga:

I'm going to install an electric pump between the primary and secondary fuel filters to keep the fuel flowing no matter what.
???

What about the primary pump then?

If it is broken - the electric one may not help.

If it is good - the primary pump may not like the suction on the pressure side.

Unless your set-up is different. Ours is: primary filter then primary pump then secondary filter.

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Electric fuel pumps must only operate when the engine is running; hence an Oil Pressure Safety Switch is required to protect against the possibility of someone accidentally letting the ignition switch in the "On" position, which (without an oil pressure safety switch) would let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system while the boat is left unattended. The safety switch deactivates the electric fuel pump any time that the engine is not actually running (and producing oil pressure).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Electric fuel pumps must only operate when the engine is running; hence an Oil Pressure Safety Switch is required to protect against the possibility of someone accidentally letting the ignition switch in the "On" position, which (without an oil pressure safety switch) would let the fuel pump pressurize the fuel system while the boat is left unattended. The safety switch deactivates the electric fuel pump any time that the engine is not actually running (and producing oil pressure).
Gord I hate to contradict anything you say as you are always such a fountain of knowledge, but isn’t the electric fuel pump is nice to have when starting the engine, before the oil pressure has closed the oil pressure switch?
Wired to the ignition would be more sensible.
This is how many Yanmar engines come from the factory so I would be surprised if it contravenes regulations.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
... Wired to the ignition would be more sensible ...
Right.

It’s always a good idea to place a safety switch in the circuit when installing an electric fuel pump.
Wiring the switch through the starter solenoid circuit energizes the pump on engine start-up. After the engine is running, the switch continues to provide power to the pump as long as there is oil pressure to keep the switch turned on.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:54   #7

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
Thanks all -- it's the starter solenoid circuit I'm looking for -- I've got a harness running from the EVC to the engine, and it appears to include the starter solenoid circuit, but not sure how to break into it ... this is new territory for me re: electronics.

Is there a path from the control box on the engine itself to the starter motor? Do I need to intercept the harness before it hits the control box? I may wait for a competent mechanic ...

The instructions call for an oil pressure safety switch, which further complicates self-installation

Thanks for any last bits of advice!

/jon
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:58   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Orana 44
Re: Wiring Electric Fuel Pump into Volvo D1-30

My apologies for reviving a nearly three y/o thread but wondered, Jon, if you ever installed the electric pump? (I have the same motors!)

Thanks - Rob
rmaher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric pump, fuel, fuel pump, volvo