Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 06:27   #1
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Wireless outboard throttle control

Good evening

Has anyone seen/used/got recommendations for wireless outboard engine throttle control? I can see the possibilities with the electronic controls but haven't been able to find a product that does this. I'm sure there's a few homebrew setups getting around..

Thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

TP
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:41   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Wireless outboard throttle control

Lots of options available similar to what is installed in vehicles, airplanes, etc... The problem is the boat market won’t bear the additional cost so manufacturers haven’t bothered marketing
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:45   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Lots of options available similar to what is installed in vehicles, airplanes, etc... The problem is the boat market won’t bear the additional cost so manufacturers haven’t bothered marketing

Thanks mate. Are there some websites/search terms you'd recommend to help me find these options?
Old 07-05-2020, 06:54   #4

Boat: Outremer 50S

https://trollmasters.com/pages/pro31

Seen but never used.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 07:06   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post

Thank you. I've seen the trolling setups but I should have been more specific, my apologies. I'm looking to wirelessly control a pair of 25hp high thrust yamaha outboards (T25). I should also add I'm interested in controlling the throttle (fwd, rvs, revs) and not the steering.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:29   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Yes Airplanes go wireless like Airbus BUT there are 7, count them, SEVEN redundant computers.
Point is if you loose battery power or connectivity for whatever reason you have NO control over the throttle or worse shifting if you think that far ahead and intend to implement both. I assiduously avoid power boats without hard cables between the wheel side control and the engine.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:30   #7

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Ooof... Call me a luddite but don't know that I'd ever trust a wireless connection to control a high speed boat! A glitch in the connection just when you need to chop the power could have serious consequences. A small trolling motor maybe, but not anything that would go faster than the speed at which you'd want to hit something. Hard to imagine manufacturers willing to accept that sort of liability....
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:36   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have never seen a wireless controlled airplane, you guys sure?
I have seen wired and heard of fiber optics, newest Apache is fiber optic I believe, but never wireless, too many bad possibilities there, and what’s the advantage?

However many throttles are no longer manual. All or almost all automobiles are now electronic throttles, and even years ago the Mercury Verado outboard went to DTS, which means digital throttle and shift, so only wires to the engine, no cables anymore, but steering is still hydraulic.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:42   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Ooof... Call me a luddite but don't know that I'd ever trust a wireless connection to control a high speed boat! A glitch in the connection just when you need to chop the power could have serious consequences. A small trolling motor maybe, but not anything that would go faster than the speed at which you'd want to hit something. Hard to imagine manufacturers willing to accept that sort of liability....
My 01 Duramax Diesel truck had three RVDT’s on the gas pedal, two increasing in voltage and one decreasing in voltage, in the event of a mismatch the computer cut throttle I believe and of course threw a DTC.

Last Experimental airplane I built had a GE H-80 engine in it with an experimental fuel control that would not allow any engine limits to be exceeded and did so with no software (software is unbelievably hard to certify) and its throttle was via a single LVDT, with a separate mechanical back up.
I don’t know if GE ever certified it or not, but electronic throttles are very common and actually more reliable than mechanical ones.

On edit, apparently it’s Certified now
https://www.geaviation.com/bga/engines/h-series
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:31   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I used wired electronic controls on a 75 foot yacht and had a solenoid gear box strip out on me. It happened twice. It isn't something I would like to do again. Of course the timing was perfect. I was coming in to a crosswind slip and instead of reverse the starboard engine started speeding up in forward.

I guess the point is that was a hard wired system and it still failed. This system did not have any redundancy built in. Maybe they do now but unless there is a least a 2nd tier redundancy I wouldn't do it.
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 13:55   #11

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

FWIW, I used to have a TR-1 for my Yamaha 9.9 trolling motor. It had a wireless handheld control fob that I could wear on a lanyard. I never used it but the previous owner loved the set up.
GWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:28   #12
cruiser

The wireless controls would be in addition to wired ones. Looks like it might have to be a homebrew job.

Tags
outboard, rot