Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 20:18   #1

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have a single piston 8hp yanmar diesel

May be YSE 8 OR YSE 8G. Two different manuals came with sailboat.

I opened the water intake filter and poured marine antifreeze (the better stuff) in while the engine was at idle five minutes.

I poured four gallons through and pink came out exhaust almost straight away and continued till I quit.

Am I done with the antifreeze aspect of winterizing? Did I let the cold engine warm up enough? Is there hidden places under a berth where some exchanger may still have lake water?

Thanks for your help. The PO seems to think I mY have more to do with antifreeze and the cooling system but I do not understand.
Old 31-10-2012, 19:53   #2

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39
Re: Winterizing Yanmar Model YSM Diesel

Hi:

I have the YSE12 here ...

Today I ran it with the intake hose in a bucket, said bucket being refilled by a water hose from the house. After 15 minutes or so, I figured the oil was mixed up and warm enough for the oil change so turned off the house supply water and ran out the water in the bucket. Then I went another 10 seconds to discharge a bit of water from the system, and then poured in 2 gallons of antifreeze into the bucket. I stopped the engine when the antifreeze ran out.

I would have followed the directions in my manual which involved the drain cock, and the manual cranking lever but there are issues: my drain cock doesn't ever drain any water, so it must be plugged somehow, and I don't have the chain that connects the manual crank spindle to the accessory output shaft. I still intend to disconnect hoses and take the water pump off to drain what I can. Plus I think the antifreeze sometimes damages impellers. Might even disconnect the exhaust stuff too.

Hopefully I have done and will do enough, as the old beast works pretty well and don't want to lose her.

Anyhow, even if the antifreeze is diluted too much, it should at least buy me another month to sort things out better. It is going down to low 20s in a few nights, so I had to do something sooner rather than later even if it isn't entirely robust yet.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote