Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:00   #1

Boat: Shannon Cutter 28
winterizing via raw water intake

I have my first inboard, in my Shannon 28 Cutter, which is powered with a Yanmar 3GM30F-YEU. I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of maintenance myself. Is the winterizing of the raw water part of the cooling system, by pumping anti-freeze through raw water hose intake, above the seacock, done in the water, immediately prior to the haul, or on the hard? I would assume the latter, in consieration of pollution issues, but wish to confirm this. Thanks.
jrevkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 12:37   #2

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: winterizing via raw water intake

Hi, congratulations on your new inboard. Anti freeze is miscible with water, what I do is mix around 5 litres of anti freeze mix, with the boat in the water,close the seacock and open the water filter cover, get a buddy to start the engine(be very careful of moving parts). With the engine on tickover get your buddy to check the exhaust, pour the anti freeze mix in the top of the intake filter tube slowly, when your buddy see's anti freeze coming out of the exhaust stop the engine. Replace the filter cover and open the seacock.
Good Luck.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:03   #3

Boat: Catalina 310

Yes, you use the water pump to pull the antifreeze through the engine. You can do it either on the hard or in the water. Here is a great video and discussion on this.

The basic steps I do are as follows:
  1. Run fresh (tap) water through the engine to wash out as much salt build up as possible. I do this until the engine has operated at normal temperature for about 10 minutes. I installed a bypass next to my thru-hull so I can do this easily. You can just disconnect the intake from the thru-hull and do it from there too.
  2. Let the engine cool a little. Change the oil and oil filter and change to my old impeller saved from the spring and kept as a spare.
  3. Run the engine back up to normal temp with tap water again. Then add about 5 gallons of antifreeze. I just bought a refractometer so now I will be collecting a sample of the antifreeze coming out the exhaust and testing it to ensure good protection.
In the spring, after I have been splashed, I run the engine for about 30 minutes. Shut down and change the impeller and fuel filters. Run for another 15-20 minutes and good to go.

Good luck,

Jesse
Old 14-10-2013, 14:06   #4

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

When I winterize the raw water intake to my engines, I close the seacock, pull the hose off the seacock barb, put the hose end into a bucket w/ the -100°F antifreeze and use the raw water pump to crank that through the system.

On mine, I do this last, after I've run the Stabil fuel dry and after I've fogged the intake w/ fogging oil.

Then I open the drain on the water lift muffler and let it drain dry.

This has always worked for me.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 16:59   #5

Boat: Catalina 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
When I winterize the raw water intake to my engines, I close the seacock, pull the hose off the seacock barb, put the hose end into a bucket w/ the -100°F antifreeze and use the raw water pump to crank that through the system. On mine, I do this last, after I've run the Stabil fuel dry and after I've fogged the intake w/ fogging oil. Then I open the drain on the water lift muffler and let it drain dry. This has always worked for me.
How and why would you fog a Diesel engine?

Tags
raw water, water