Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 19:49   #76
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Why do people replace diesel engines in a sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJICDAN View Post
I have a 1974 Gulfstar 53MS with the original 6.354 Perkins 120 HP motor.
It is big, heavy, and slow turning. does not put out much power, but it will last forever.
These new aluminum, highly stressed, turbocharged motors, are a good example of our throwaway society.
My boat has been around the world twice.
I have put over 8000 miles on it in the last 1 1/2 years.
It will push me up to 10 knots if I need to, but it gets very good mileage at 6 knots.
I just sailed to the Virgin Islands and back.
I filled up at St Thomas, then traveled to Puerto Rico, to Ft Pierce, FL, to Key West, To Don Pedro Island by Port Charlotte, back to the Keys and then to Ft Pierce on a little less than 150 gallons of fuel.
When I bought this boat twenty years ago the Broker said I should replace the motor.
It does not use or leak hardly any oil.
I use Amsoil synthetic, and change the oil every 800 hours.
I change the oil filter every 200 hours.
I met another sailer who had the same boat as mine. He had replaced the Perkins with a 350hp Cummins. He said now he could go 18 knots.
I think some people have too much money and do not know what to do with it.
The oil change period for a 6354 is 200 hours ! Mine is from 78 and I have the rebuild kit ready and will probably do it next year as it has 25k + hours on it and getting smokey LOL
Old 16-05-2019, 07:44   #77

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Frankly, I think that the original post is kind of silly. Who can argue against that for many, if not most, sailors consider their engines to be an important part of their safety gear? The peace of mind that comes with a new engine can give confidence that the likelihood of reaching a safe harbor if the ‘do-do’ hits the fan. Yeah, yeah, these are sailboats and any skipper worth his salt can maneuver his/her boat any place they want in any conditions. Right.

We removed a perfectly functioning Volvo from our boat before we started our circumnavigation and replaced it with a 90-hp Beta Marine, a decision which, in retrospect, was one of the better ones I’ve made.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:59   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Frankly, I think that the original post is kind of silly. Who can argue against that for many, if not most, sailors consider their engines to be an important part of their safety gear? The peace of mind that comes with a new engine can give confidence that the likelihood of reaching a safe harbor if the ‘do-do’ hits the fan. Yeah, yeah,.
. these are sailboats and any skipper worth his salt can maneuver his/her boat any place they want in any conditions. Right

Fair winds and calm seas.
I agree and any poster that says that these are sailboats and any skipper worth his salt can maneuver his/her boat any place they want in any conditions. Right

Forget about the fact that while true ( my opinion )
it is also a fact that any prudent captain will stack the deck as much as practical in favor of reaching port safely with all hands and that includes an engine he knows he can depend on .
A lot of the repair/replace is dependant on confidence level and mechanical ability.

People at both ends of the spectrum will likely make the same decision based on entirely different criteria.
Old 16-05-2019, 08:23   #79

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

I hated the blue of the Nanni and so switched to the metallic grey of Yanmar.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 08:42   #80
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Not everyone has big boat bucks to spend, nor do all put such a high value on their lives so as to try avoiding risks that much.

Just eating restaurant food, driving at highway speeds, never mind going scuba diving or rock climbing, are much riskier than the kind of sailing 99.99% even cruisers do.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:00   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Not everyone has big boat bucks to spend, nor do all put such a high value on their lives so as to try avoiding risks that much.

Just eating restaurant food, driving at highway speeds, never mind going scuba diving or rock climbing, are much riskier than the kind of sailing 99.99% even cruisers do.
yes john but why not stack the deck in your favor if possible .

When you start sailing your own boat to well out of the way places for extended periods you will likely have a slightly different outlook .
Old 16-05-2019, 09:26   #82
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
why not stack the deck in your favor if possible
If possible, means if you can afford it. My point is, trying to reduce all the possible risks is not a critical goal for everyone. When it's my time to go so be it.

Same argument can be made for fancy "save me" electronics, or a lifeboat, or whatever other expensive gear they come up with to make people safer.

Sure, once I've saved many thousands by eliminating other housing expenditures over a few years, and those freed-up funds weren't otherwise needed for say urgent medical care or kids' education etc, maybe I'd consider spending thousands on a new engine before it became strictly necessary.

But only maybe, most likely other basic maintenance, safety-related basics like rigging, will always have a higher claim on my pennies in the bank account.

I certainly wouldn't let not having a working inboard stop me getting out there, maybe a 9hp outboard will do in the meantime, or even a set of oars, Pardy style.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 09:54   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
If possible, means if you can afford it. My point is, trying to reduce all the possible risks is not a critical goal for everyone. When it's my time to go so be it.

Same argument can be made for fancy "save me" electronics, or a lifeboat, or whatever other expensive gear they come up with to make people safer.

Sure, once I've saved many thousands by eliminating other housing expenditures over a few years, and those freed-up funds weren't otherwise needed for say urgent medical care or kids' education etc, maybe I'd consider spending thousands on a new engine before it became strictly necessary.

But only maybe, most likely other basic maintenance, safety-related basics like rigging, will always have a higher claim on my pennies in the bank account.

I certainly wouldn't let not having a working inboard stop me getting out there, maybe a 9hp outboard will do in the meantime, or even a set of oars, Pardy style.
so long as you some day do get out here
Old 16-05-2019, 10:36   #84

Quote:
If possible, means if you can afford it. My point is, trying to reduce all the possible risks is not a critical goal for everyone. When it's my time to go so be it.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a great deal of respect for those sailors who have made the choice to repower.

I have a great deal of respect for those sailors who have made the choice to rebuild.

I have a great deal of respect for those sailors who have made the choice to keep way ahead of maintenance and are lucky to have long lasting reliable engines.

I have NO respect for those sailors who decide THEIR way is better and denigrate any of the others for their own personal choices.

On my trip up the west coast from SF to BC in 2016, the very first day (of course) we wrapped the anchor line around the prop shaft and had to return, by sail, back to SF. We got to the Gate on a building ebb after midnight and the wind died, forcing me to call tow boat for the very first time in my 40 year sailing career. That's an outrageous example of a non-working engine in an extremely potentially dangerous situation with inbound and outbound containership traffic.

That would be much like someone who, in the back of their mind, is losing confidence in their engine.

I fully understand that. And why they chose to repower.

So should you.

Point is YOUR priorities are NOT theirs and you should not attempt to foist yours on them, nor would they do so to you.

The varied CHOICES folks have shared here are important to learn from.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 12:37   #85
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when ka lunk ranaway there was a mechanic named johnco was pressuring me into repower with yanmar, said perkins 4 108 are junk.. hahahahaha. i didnot use his services.
my mexican mechanic who rebuilds 4 108s for transit buses and for tractors and other uses rebuilt it without hesitation or issues...
so the answer to the question is BULLYING by unscrupulous mechanics in pair a dice....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 13:15   #86

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
when ka lunk ranaway there was a mechanic named johnco was pressuring me into repower with yanmar, said perkins 4 108 are junk.. hahahahaha. i didnot use his services.
my mexican mechanic who rebuilds 4 108s for transit buses and for tractors and other uses rebuilt it without hesitation or issues...
so the answer to the question is BULLYING by unscrupulous mechanics in pair a dice....
Perkins 4-108s are not junk but they are outdated. It is an engine based on the 4-107, designed in the 1930s or '40s and upgraded in the '60s.

I am also not a fan of engines that claim to be purpose built for marine use like Yanmar. That means limited market for parts, difficulty obtaining parts in many places and marine markup. That is why I chose Beta Marine Kubota based engines.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 13:30   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
I am also not a fan of engines that claim to be purpose built for marine use like Yanmar. That means limited market for parts, difficulty obtaining parts in many places and marine markup. That is why I chose Beta Marine Kubota based engines.
you do realise that the yanmar's are are not ( for the most part ) purpose built for Marine they are in fact marinized farm tractor engines .
Old 16-05-2019, 13:34   #88
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

108s may be outdated, but ye may want to tell the forklifts still in service they are outdated and the generators and the ditch digging machinery and other heavy duty uses for our awesome engines.
luckily i had prior mechanical knowledge so i could weed out the idiocy when seeking rebuild. many are not so smart and fall into the trap.
when it takes 18 months to figger out contaminated fuel kept ye stuffed, there is a knowledge deficit issue. yes that actually happened... thankfully i am smarter than that. the service companies here take advantage of htat deficit and make lots of money by using the opportunistic approach.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:33   #89

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
you do realise that the yanmar's are are not ( for the most part ) purpose built for Marine they are in fact marinized farm tractor engines .
Their marketing says different. Try to find Yanmar parts in New Zealand or Tahiti. You will be spending a lot of money on air freight.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:35   #90
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Their marketing says different. Try to find Yanmar parts in New Zealand or Tahiti. You will be spending a lot of money on air freight.
marketing and reality are quite different. Requires research to figure out what tractor motor you have .

Tags
boat, diesel, engine, sail, sailboat