Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2020, 19:44   #211

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: Why do people replace diesel engines in a sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
“Because you want to?”

That’s not a very good reason at all. What a waste of an engine, of a car, of a person...

...My theory is people are frightened of older things.
In a word, resources --- and people are taught to be wary, if not positively frightened, of older things. As well as desiring 'new', often inferior ones.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 23:08   #212

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
But it's HIS reason, why judge him because he did something you didn't agree with?
I don’t judge him. It’s a philosophical discussion. I don’t judge anyone.

I’m the person who started the thread. I’m responding to the ideas he presented
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 23:03   #213

Boat: Hanse 348

But you are judging him. You said, “that’s not a good reason”. He thinks it is. You are judging his reasoning.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 23:31   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
But you are judging him. You said, “that’s not a good reason”. He thinks it is. You are judging his reasoning.
Tf? I’m expressing an opinion about a set of reasoning and logic.

Judgement of a person is saying HE is a person who lacks good reasoning. That there is something wrong with HIM.

Wake up.

I’m AM judging you, and the verdict is not positive.
Old 11-10-2020, 00:09   #215

Boat: Hanse 348

Whatever gets you through the night. I am sure you are not really self righteous.

Don't really care what your judgement of me is.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 00:15   #216

Think most people do it when it’s time for a overhaul.

Spend a little more and get a engine that probably

Weighs less
Warranty
Smoother
Quiet(er)

If during one of my oil change filter cuts I saw a bunch of metal, I’d probably just swap in a beta, get a extra cylinder, loose 100ish lbs, add more power, about the same fuel burn
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 00:28   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Whatever gets you through the night. I am sure you are not really self righteous.

Don't really care what your judgement of me is.
Then stay in your lane. There was no need for that
Old 11-10-2020, 00:28   #218

I replaced the old Isuzu 40hp with a new Yanmar 75hp 4JH4-TE (and new gearbox) because quite simply the Isuzu was long in the tooth and had already had one rebuild, it always felt a little underpowered for my liking, even when it was in new condition, and compared to the Yanmar was a noisy/vibrating/outdated little lump of iron....

Fitting the Yanmar was the best thing i have done with this boat and have no regrets at all, it's quiet and smooth and when you hit the starter it purrs into life immediately, parts are available worldwide....but best of all is the peace of mind.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:07   #219

Newbie question here on repowering... and potentially over-powering.

Is there such a thing as overpowering? I'm an experienced mid-size CAT wrench money and prefer CAT3116, 3126. Their parts can be interchanged with mostly other branded Common Off The Shelf parts as those engines were originally designed for military use and the mil-spec for them are fantastic... IMHO.

Witth either of those 2 engines, I can easiy put in a serpentine belt, and add 2x400amp 24v Alternators.

So my questions are: is there such a thing as overpowering? If there is, what stresses or cuations are there to look for? Since the CAT's sip fuel at IDLE and the US Military uses them in LMTV's to run/power mobile command center's, why would this be a bad idea for boats (CAT also makes these in flavor's for vessels too)?
Beach Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:20   #220

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Panda View Post
Newbie question here on repowering... and potentially over-powering.

Is there such a thing as overpowering? I'm an experienced mid-size CAT wrench money and prefer CAT3116, 3126. Their parts can be interchanged with mostly other branded Common Off The Shelf parts as those engines were originally designed for military use and the mil-spec for them are fantastic... IMHO.

Witth either of those 2 engines, I can easiy put in a serpentine belt, and add 2x400amp 24v Alternators.

So my questions are: is there such a thing as overpowering? If there is, what stresses or cuations are there to look for? Since the CAT's sip fuel at IDLE and the US Military uses them in LMTV's to run/power mobile command center's, why would this be a bad idea for boats (CAT also makes these in flavor's for vessels too)?
Yes there are issues with overpowering.

First, pet peeve: Tell us what boat you have. It makes answering questions easier.

On to your question:
Is the boat strong enough to carry the additional weight of the larger engine?
Will the boat require structural modifications to handle the increased weight and thrust.
What will the added weight do to the boat trim?
Will you have to replace the prop shaft(s) and propeller(s) to handle the increased torque?
Will you have to replace the water intake and engine exhausts for a larger engine?
Is the engine marinized or are marinizing components available to marinize them?
What will this do to your fuel consumption and range?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 11:24   #221

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmoose View Post
I have been considering a purchase of a 1983 27 Hunter Cherubini (my first boat)with a Westerbeke W 10 TWO that is not working. It has been diagnosed with low compression by two marine mechanics and it will not fire up and run. The PO has stated that it ran last season but then stopped. I have not seen the boat yet due to snow. This is a fresh water boat and has been in Lake Tahoe it's entire life. Price or the boat is $2700. From what I can tell by the pics it has been well taken care of and I thought this was a pretty good deal but the replacement or refurbish of the W 10 TWO has pretty much killed the deal. The PO received quotes of at 8-10k with a tranny overhaul. Is it possible that some back pressure or vapor lock could cause a low compression test to warrent a rebuild? Is there any tips or tricks to get the engine to fire up or is low compression a killer? Is repowering to a newer different engine a consideration in this small of a vessel? BTW I am not totally unfamiliar with sailing or marine lifestyle . My wife and I have sailed the San Juan islands, the Greek islands, and sailed from SF to PV and attended the Baha Ha Ha twice. We even threw in a Bash(ONCE)! from San Jose Cabo to SF. But we did this as Crew obviously and thought we would pick up a small boat close to home to enjoy. Hence the above predicament ... Any help is appreciated! nvmoose.
I would check for a stuck valve. Just take the valve cover off and look. Could be really simple.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, diesel, engine, sail, sailboat