Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2019, 18:36   #1

Boat: Corbin 39
White smoke after rebuilt of Perkins 4.108

Do I have to turn pump anti clockwise (facing the cylinder 1 - standing in front of engine while looking to it)to have the injection earlier?
If I change the setting for 2 mm will it be to much?

Engine has also problem to start. Actually to start I must use starting fluid.

I can remember that when I was checking IP settings something was strange to me. I am not sure, but I think pistons were on top position when mark "A" was in position. But as I marked a line with sharp object on pump pulley
before, I then kept that position. And it was equal to default Perkins marking dots.

Can you tell where can be the reason for this mismatch?
pr2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 19:43   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: White smoke after rebuilt of Perkins 4.108

Have you removed the timing cover on the injection pump and check alignment?did you check valve tip clearances?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 00:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr2501 View Post
Do I have to turn pump anti clockwise (facing the cylinder 1 - standing in front of engine while looking to it)to have the injection earlier?
If I change the setting for 2 mm will it be to much?

Engine has also problem to start. Actually to start I must use starting fluid.

I can remember that when I was checking IP settings something was strange to me. I am not sure, but I think pistons were on top position when mark "A" was in position. But as I marked a line with sharp object on pump pulley
before, I then kept that position. And it was equal to default Perkins marking dots.

Can you tell where can be the reason for this mismatch?

I've been following your adventure since the start and admire your tenacity as well as the knowledge and experience of the responders.
The white smoke and hard starting is possibly due to faulty injectors or pump timing issues. Avoid using starting fluid, find the problem ......Have the injectors been tested or rebuilt ?You previously mentioned the replacement of the broken hold down plate and that requires opening the injector, maybe something happened at that point. You also mentioned a problem with the injection pump having corrosion, was this repaired satisfactorily ?
Is it at all possible that two of the injector lines are crossed on the injector pump head ? The engine might run in this situation .... but very badly with clouds of white smoke and very difficult starting.
Dismiss this idea if the engine runs smoothly after starting.
Starting fluid is useful if the compression is very low or the ambient temperature is subzero but on a healthy engine in a warm climate .... (that's you) no. It's like crack cocaine..... once they get a taste they always want it.
Pete
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 06:51   #4

Engine runs now. It starts without the problem and it does not smoke. I will check later when it will be cold again. And is not smoking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BssuvlOnwT8/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bssu_6OH0JO/

I did ad image how much I had to rotate the pump and the other how much was the mistake on camshaft pulley. I am sorry that I don't have the picture of pump pulley. I am curios how much is the mistake there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	set.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	301.3 KB
ID:	183920   Click image for larger version

Name:	set2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	183921  

Old 16-01-2019, 08:15   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

If you take the small cover off just above the arrows on the inj pump, there are timing marks in there.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:11   #6

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

If all the timing marks on the geartrain were aligned correctly, and the engine now starts easily from cold, revs smoothly up to about 5-10 percent over maximum high idle with no load, doesn't smoke, and makes good power, besides break-in, you're done. The small change in injection pump position shouldn't matter.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:30   #7

Boat: Morgan OI Ketch 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to Mazu

I rebuilt my 4-107 and had white smoke for a few hours of operation. On a new rebuild this can be a normal occurrence....nothing is wrong with anything else. Give it a few hours of operation until the rings seat a bit and you will probably see it clear up. Never use starting fluid on these engines...if you absolutely need to use something, use WD-40. The 4-107/108 manuals have new engine and cold engine start procedures as well as break in instructions for new/rebuilt engine operation.
Mazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 09:57   #8

When our head gasket blew, cooling water entered the oil and made a gel. We had to try to pump the gel out of the sump. We put in fresh oil three times but never got rid of all the white oil.
Finally the mechanic suggested running the engine underway at full load. An hour later the white smoke stopped and the oil was clear.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 12:50   #9

I have now cylinder 4 in overlap. But small change on manual rotation of crank shaft can give a different reading. That's why I have upload two images.

Jimbunyard and Rbk thank you .

I will do some test later and then more in the water tomorrow with higher speed of engine rotation. I am waiting now to have engine cold to check valves settings again as I did open the valve cover.

And is there some more accurate setting to reed the ignition position than valves overlapping?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1overlap.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	183933   Click image for larger version

Name:	2over.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	183934  

Old 17-01-2019, 06:37   #10
TPF

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Helia 44

I had my Perkins 4.108 rebuilt. It blew white smoke immediately. Fussing with the injectors and pump didn’t work. It was the piston rings that had cracked during the rebuild or were faulty. I’ll never know! What I do know is the engine had to come out again and the rings replaced.
TPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:56   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPF View Post
I had my Perkins 4.108 rebuilt. It blew white smoke immediately. Fussing with the injectors and pump didn’t work. It was the piston rings that had cracked during the rebuild or were faulty. I’ll never know! What I do know is the engine had to come out again and the rings replaced.

Very likely that they were not gapped on installation and merely installed.
Many people just install and often get away with it, but you supposed to place the ring in the bore and take a piston and push it towards the top and measure the gap to ensure it’s within specs, if not, you file it until it is. If it’s too tight, then it will quickly expand on startup from the heat and break.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins