Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2021, 04:46   #1

Which Raycor model for Yanmar 3JH5E?

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a Raycor pre-filter. It's been recommended that I purchase a model that is capable of: "1.5 times the delivery volume of the fuel transfer pump at full-rated rpm". To be clear, I'm not talking the fuel consumption rate, I'm talking about the pumping rate from tank to the engine, and then return flow back to the tank. Unfortunately, I cannot find the specifications of the electric lift pump for my engine.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
SVJOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 05:23   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Which Raycor model for Yanmar 3JH5E?

What is the engine you have on the boat, cylinders, hp? That will give you a good indication, but overkill on primary fuel filters doesn’t hurt. The racor 500 is installed on many small diesels.

Edit: I just saw the engine model in the title, sorry.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 05:26   #3

Sorry, I wrote the engine model in the post title.

Yanmar 3JH5E

I'll check out the 500.
Old 16-09-2021, 05:31   #4

It's not just max flow rate of the Racor, but the flow rate based on the micron of the filter.

Racor 110A:
--> 2 Micron: 15GPH
--> 10 Micron: 35 GPH

I'm sure a Racor 500 would be more than enough.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 05:38   #5

Good point Shrew.

The Yanmar has a 10 micron filter on it, so I was going to go with a 30 micron pre-filter.

Also, I like the idea of a plastic bowl so I can see if any water is collected. Any recommendation there? (other than the 500, and the 110A mentioned above that has a metal bowl).
Old 16-09-2021, 10:52   #6

Boat: Hunter 46

Oversize it. For comparison my 75 hp Yanmar type 4JH3-TE has a single Racor fuel filter/water separator Series 230R2 with a R20S 2 micron filter and clear plastic bowl.

https://ph.parker.com/us/en/diesel-f...-spin-on/230r2
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 10:59   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

If you want turbine based action in the appropriate Racor series you need to size the filter accordingly , too big and you dont get good water separation
Old 16-09-2021, 12:07   #8

Our new Catalina came with a Yanmar 3JH5E and a Racor 500 series prefilter, so it should work for you. We have used 10 micron filter elements for over 1000 hrs. without any issues.
rfinklegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 13:35   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

In case you are interested in sizing the primary fuel filter refer to this Racor technical bulletin: Racor Products Technical Guide (sflot.ru)

It states: Find the total fuel flow rate. This is the total flow that will pass through the filter. You may obtain this information from your engine or equipment manufacturer or your Racor dealer. Use this information to select a Racor filter that has a greater flow rating than your equipment’s total fuel flow rate. If this information is not available use the following formula for estimating. Diesel or kerosene fuel systems: Gallons per Hour is Engine Horsepower (maximum) multiplied by 18% or GPH = HP X 0.18.

For your 35 hp engine estimated total flowrate is 35 x 0.18 = 6.3 gph. A 230R2 is rated for 30 gph.

Installing a larger "fixed" pleated filter capacity than you require will extend replacement intervals. Consider the primary filter micron size you want. Secondary filter on the Yanmar engine I understand is a 10 micron. I use 2 micron filter as I would rather sacrifice the primary vs. secondary filter and get extremely long life since the diesel is pretty clean andthe diesel is treatred with a bioside.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 20:00   #10

Boat: Gemini 105M, 34

The Racor 500 filter is over kill but the elements are around $12 each. I had smaller Racors on several boats with spin on elements that were $50 each. I would go with ten micron elements. They are easy to change and with a vacuum gauge you can tell when they need changing. With a ten micron filter you will almost never need to change the filter on the engine. I have used knock off housings with great luck. I still use the Racor brand elements tho. On my Leopard 38 with twin 40 HP Yanmars I put four pre filters on so I could change them if one plugged up and included a pump so I could polish the fuel and added a tube to suck fuel out of jerry cans through the filters before putting it into the tank. system works great (see picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0917181101-1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	449.3 KB
ID:	245435  
captnknopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 01:31   #11

Boat: ETAP, 28i, 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you want turbine based action in the appropriate Racor series you need to size the filter accordingly , too big and you dont get good water separation
This statement is absolutely TRUE! Do not oversize your RACOR! I also give you another advice, for me it was extremely useful. ADD A WATER SENSOR TO YOUR RACOR FILTER, complete with warning light and buzzer. When the water level in the bottom of the bowl starts getting appreciable, the sensor will trigger the alarm. This proved to be extremely useful in more than one case, warning me that water had built-up in the bowl. Unfortunately the reservoirs of marine fuel distributors often have the bottom with some (or a lot) of collected water and they make a gift of this water to you (actually you pay it as if it was fuel).
So, buy a RACOR of hte correct size, AND ADD A WATER SENSOR +related warning equipment to it. It will save you bad experiences!
ftamburrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 03:49   #12

Thank you for all the feedback guys; excellent. You've given me some stuff to ponder!
Old 17-09-2021, 04:41   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The larger the physical capacity of the pre-filter, the better in my view. For your engine, the Racor 500 would be a good choice. The turbine series has the easiest to replace elements and while the unit is more expensive, the elements are relatively cheap and with a larger filter you need less spare elements.

The main advantage of choosing a larger element is the higher solids and water bowl capacity. If a problem with diesel bug occurs this increases the available diesel run time and this can be invaluable, especially in docking procedures.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 06:28   #14

Boat: Custom 38' Crabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftamburrano View Post
This statement is absolutely TRUE! Do not oversize your RACOR!
While it is true that the turbine filters need a certain amount of fuel flow to make the turbine effect work properly, most small diesel engines I.E. <100 hp will not provide adequate flow.

This does not negate the fact that the Racor 500 unit is far superior than the cheaper spin on filter units that do not have the tubine action feature anyway. The Racor 500 is much easier and cleaner to use, has cheaper replacement elements and has extra capacity that will be of primary importance if you ever do have a serious episode of fuel contamination by water or particulates.
roryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
model, yanmar